NME: "Rick Astley tells us about his Glastonbury secret set of Smiths covers with Blossoms" (June 24, 2023)

Rick-Astley-and-Blossoms-Kentish-Town-Forum-13.9.21-c-Peter-Neill-1-1392x884.jpg

Astley on the reactions of Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and what it means to play Glasto: "I know it’s sacrilege and they should hang the lot of us on the line for doing it, but I also just don’t care"

Rick Astley/Blossoms play Smiths set at Glastonbury

If the songs of The Smiths are as epochal as many people here attest then this spectacular 'mass consciousness' eruption of 'karaoke emotion' is exactly what they would expect to see.

Rick Astley is proving that those songs have a life, an integrity that surpasses the dramas of Morrissey's periodic implosions.

Morrissey doesn't own The Smiths. He never did. He doesn't own their legacy either. He's had a good 'karaoke' solo career impersonating himself but he knows deep down that he's spent decades chasing the shadow of who he once was. That has been, in its own way, a morbidly fascinating spectacle to observe.

Lana is finally onstage singing 'Bartender' as her make-up entourage redesign her hairdo. I'd like to hear Morrissey do an album of Lana Del Rey covers. Or Lana do an album of Morrissey covers. Or a duets album. Something. Anything...to interrupt the tedium of yet more nondescript solo albums from Morrissey.

BB
LOL! When you were liking all this Glasto Smiths Lovefest, for a split sec I was almost going to be like “you old softie!” BUT! Then I (thankfully) immediately came to my senses and realized I should just sit on my hands and not type any such thing as I don’t want to have any part in encouraging any mellowing from you.

Because where would my guilty crush be if you weren’t here to BURN through this site like the caustic acid that i know and love! Lol!

FYI i think it’s hot when Morrissey impersonates himself, and the implosions sometimes are too! Or maybe more I’m thinking more the occasional explosions??

Either way, I’m into it! :lbf:

LOL! When you were liking all this Glasto Smiths Lovefest, for a split sec I was almost going to be like “you old softie!” BUT! Then I (thankfully) immediately came to my senses and realized I should just sit on my hands and not type any such thing as I don’t want to have any part in encouraging any mellowing from you.

Because where would my guilty crush be if you weren’t here to BURN through this site like the caustic acid that i know and love! Lol!

FYI i think it’s hot when Morrissey impersonates himself, and the implosions sometimes are too! Or maybe more I’m thinking more the occasional explosions??

Either way, I’m into it! :lbf:
Some people say I'm 'quiet nice' in 'real life' but...others beg to differ...some say I got devil but others say the light pours out of me...

BB

Love pop music, love the concept of Rick Astley, love the idea of him covering the Smiths, wish him all the very best but ...
the tone of his singing voice just seems to suck all the nuance out of the songs.

Love pop music, love the concept of Rick Astley, love the idea of him covering the Smiths, wish him all the very best but ...
the tone of his singing voice just seems to suck all the nuance out of the songs.
You’re not supposed to say that last part here, everyone else on this thread will exile you

It says that in January of this year Rick Astley sued this guy for this song, because apparently it was infringing on Rick’s publicity o_O

dave grohl on drums with the pretenders,if i was the pretemders actual drummer and your drums are hijacked by an interloper from another band i would be rather pissed,would the foo fighters let the pretenders drummer sit in on their set,nah didnt think so.
as for glastonbury,its for the middle classes and the hoi polloi,on friday when the gates opened a tv presenter asked a woman why she was carrying two buckets,her reply its my toilet,no thanks i like to do my shitting indoors like the rest of society.

As a witness to the Manchester gig, and not a massive fan of Rick or Blossoms, just go if the opportunity occurs (let’s face it, looks likely). An absolutely cracking night.

I really wish i had seen them when they played in london, on paper it sounds like a disaster, but seeing the you tube clips it looked like an absolute joyous celebration of the Smiths. Blossoms sounding absolutely spot on and Rick channeling Moz even down to the flares.
It was hugely entertaining.
Morrissey wore flares? I must've missed that period :unsure:

I really enjoyed Rick Astley's / Blossoms' set - I thought it was really great, but I also thought that the failure to refer, or pay tribute, to Andy Rourke in any way was a deeply shameful omission. It doesn't detract at all from how good the renditions of songs were, but surely it would've been obvious, in the circumstances, that they should, at least, mention him and what he contributed to The Smiths and to those songs.

Is Rick Astley an actual twat or I'm reading too much into his words in the NME article?

Johnny Marr didn't take well their Smiths cover gigs, but it's ok.

Morrissey thanked them for doing the same, but... He takes Moz's acknowlegment with a grain of salt?

His picture with Morrissey was taken at M's behest?

Coward, ungrateful idiot.

Nowadays, it seems that nobody in the UK can say nice things about Morrissey without a but in the end of the interview.

Mr Astley, The Smiths is mostly Morrissey. If you're benefiting from singing his words, the least you can do is show some respect!
Mmm... I think you're probably reading too much into it.

He says the picture was taken at Morrissey's behest because he "would have never dared to ask" (cause he's too big a fan). Not sure what he means by saying he takes Moz thanks with a grain of salt, maybe that he thinks Morrissey's not actually happy about it, deep down? Not sure why he would imagine that, but it strikes me as insecurity??

Last edited:
Mmm... I think you're probably reading too much into it.

He says the picture was taken at Morrissey's behest because he "would have never dared to ask" (cause he's too big a fan). Not sure what he means by saying he takes Moz thanks with a grain of salt, maybe that he think Morrissey's not actually happy about it deep down? Not sure why he would imagine that, but it strikes me as insecurity??

I’m thinking he thought Morrissey wasn’t being sincere in thanking them. Which if true, is a shame. Just surprised he didn’t say anything in the article, not a ‘thank you’ or ‘on behalf of Blossoms and I, you’re welcome Moz’ something simple would have been nice after M reached out.

I’m thinking he thought Morrissey wasn’t being sincere in thanking them. Which if true, is a shame. Just surprised he didn’t say anything in the article, not a ‘thank you’ or ‘on behalf of Blossoms and I, you’re welcome Moz’ something simple would have been nice after M reached out.
Well that's what I said as well lol, maybe my wording was off. No idea why he would think that. Nothing in Morrissey's words indicated irony to me.

I agree a simple "thanks!" or similar would have been nice. Maybe he did say something like that and the NME left it out? :unamused:

Umm, even forget the article. A big huge thank you Moz is exactly what he should have closed the set with!

From 'The Daily Telegraph'

'Rick Astley dished up indie karaoke
James Hall gives his full verdict on Rick Astley and Blossoms. “This set was essentially indie karaoke on a massive scale. I reckon that crowd was about 8,000 strong, maybe more. Astley was entertaining, and made a good fist of The Smiths’ songs. There was strong falsetto on What Difference Does It Make, Morrissey-like intonation on Big Mouth Strikes Again, and the overhead spinning of a microphone during Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

“But at one point he brought out an oversized white book: a prop of The Picture Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. At this point the set tipped into pastiche. Indie pantomime. The crowd sang heartily to everything, from The Boy with a Thorn in his Side and Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out prompted a long – loooong – singalong.

“All very good. But I think Glastonbury can do better. It was a big slot. Sometimes next year’s headliners play this one. I’m assuming it’s not the case this year. Astley’s a great entertainer and Blossoms were fine. But it should have been a proper band.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/glastonbury-festival-2023-highlights-saturday-day-2/

From 'The Daily Telegraph'

'Rick Astley dished up indie karaoke
James Hall gives his full verdict on Rick Astley and Blossoms. “This set was essentially indie karaoke on a massive scale. I reckon that crowd was about 8,000 strong, maybe more. Astley was entertaining, and made a good fist of The Smiths’ songs. There was strong falsetto on What Difference Does It Make, Morrissey-like intonation on Big Mouth Strikes Again, and the overhead spinning of a microphone during Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

“But at one point he brought out an oversized white book: a prop of The Picture Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. At this point the set tipped into pastiche. Indie pantomime. The crowd sang heartily to everything, from The Boy with a Thorn in his Side and Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out prompted a long – loooong – singalong.

“All very good. But I think Glastonbury can do better. It was a big slot. Sometimes next year’s headliners play this one. I’m assuming it’s not the case this year. Astley’s a great entertainer and Blossoms were fine. But it should have been a proper band.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/glastonbury-festival-2023-highlights-saturday-day-2/
Nailed it. Agree with him saying it tipped over into pastiche, because when i watched it i was thinking that Rick would do a great job on a cruise ship. And i’ve never even gone on a cruise ship.

I love that everyone loved it so much, and that they all had a great time. But they loved it and had a great time because Morrissey is magic, and because Smiths songs are magic 💫

Back
Top Bottom