Olivia Rodrigo wearing a Kill Uncle shirt; on "The Grudge" being inspired by a lyric from The Smiths

I hear she's a big Smiths fan...

“The Grudge” Was Inspired by a Lyric from The Smiths
Rodrigo sought inspiration from a lot of places for GUTS, from her personal life, to books she read during the pandemic. But “The Grudge” was inspired by one of the singer’s favorite bands: The Smiths. “I was listening to The Smiths in my car and in one of their songs they have the lyrics, ‘It takes strength to be gentle and kind,'” she recalled. “I really liked that and came up with, ‘It takes strength to forgive but I don’t feel very strong.'”

While Rodrigo’s re-worked lyrics now form the emotional crux of “The Grudge,” the singer admits she doesn’t know if she’s found the strength to forgive her ex just yet: “I’m still working on it,” she said.
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 11.25.45 PM.png

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
As we all know, modern music is not really the spike in the forehead that it use to be. Which is regrettable.’

- Morrissey

I thought it took guts to be gentle and kind. I must've heard it wrong all these years. Funny how that happens.

she seems quite talented,maybe even young people are so turned off by modern music that they feel they have to go back through the decades for inspiration.

I thought it took guts to be gentle and kind. I must've heard it wrong all these years. Funny how that happens.
He sings both, I believe.
Nice girl and impressive taste in music, she can come and sit on my face anytime.

15 minutes with her, well I wouldn’t say no. Although I wouldn’t need 15 minutes.

Last edited:
she seems quite talented,maybe even young people are so turned off by modern music that they feel they have to go back through the decades for inspiration.
I think that is the case Gordy, my 2 nieces who are 11 and 13 listen to modern stuff but they also listen to a lot more 80s and even 70s music like Kate Bush, some punk even (my brothers influence there). There is such a wide choice now, if you dont like chart rubbish there is so much more to pick and choose from. Which is cool.

Yes. But it depends on what they do with that inspiration. Give any aspiring young writer heroin, doesn’t mean they’re going to start writing like the great William Burroughs.

Olivia loves turkey sandwiches and McDonalds double double cheeseburgers. Strange how many Smiths' fans are meat-eaters.

Fantastic idea!!! I’m sure it would increase Morrissey’s chances for a record deal 800%!!
No, let's let Morrissey go on singing alone. Moz already had the experience with M Circus.She should have spoken, she was silent... I should have said something about what we already know.
Re trucha la minita esa.......

Olivia loves turkey sandwiches and McDonalds double double cheeseburgers. Strange how many Smiths' fans are meat-eaters.

If it were true that you had to be a vegan to be a Smiths fan, then similarly it would also be true that you would have to stop being a Morrissey fan when his political beliefs diverged from yours

speak of the devil,olivia is on bbc1 right now doing a set for bbc live lounge.
good of her to wear her nightdress on stage.

update on nightdress wearing olivia,most of her songs seems to be about her ex.
she also throws in the odd f..k in her lyrics,doesnt really work as her songs are too poppy.

whats going on,doja cat is now on doing a set and she is also wearing a nightdress,maybe i fell asleep an hour ago and im dreaming this.

This is awesome, my daughter is a massive Olivia fan and hates Morrissey so this will really annoy her. Just sent her the link :D

Just listened to her first album and every song was about how much she hates her ex(es?). Plus, swearing on every track doesn't make you cool, although her teenage fan base would probably disagree?

Back
Top Bottom