Once again, the wheel has turned...

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
So after I came back from the book launch, I find that my daughter has invited two friends over to stay for the night (they're all about 16). Now, she's ridiculed me for, well, as long as she's been able to talk over the Smiths/Morrissey thing. So, it came as a bit of a surprise, that one of her friends, after spotting the book I'd bought, said "Ooh, I have that picture on a poster in my room - we LOVE Morrissey!".

See, I was right all along.

P.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So after I came back from the book launch, I find that my daughter has invited two friends over to stay for the night (they're all about 16). Now, she's ridiculed me for, well, as long as she's been able to talk over the Smiths/Morrissey thing. So, it came as a bit of a surprise, that one of her friends, after spotting the book I'd bought, said "Ooh, I have that picture on a poster in my room - we LOVE Morrissey!".

P.

Correct Peter, we have been right all along. :lbf:
Both my kids have at times displayed feelings ranging from apathy to disdain for The Smiths and Morrissey, however as my eldest fast approaches his 15th birthday he is beginning to appreciate the 'education' he has received throughout his life. ;)

There is a light that never goes out...

I agree with IR our offspring have to reach a certain age (15-16) for it to click. My eldest son joined his mother in the Moz derision for years,until he discovered Joy Division funnily enough then Manchester music in general. Then he wanted me to get extra tickets for The odd Moz gig, I was gobsmacked when he told me he and his mates had bought tickets see Moz in Madrid in 2008 (and guess what i wasn't invited).last tour he did more shows than i could make in the UK. They may laugh at us when they're children but when the penny drops and the Moz bug bites he bites hard.

P.

This made me smile. My daughter has also ridiculed me over the years. She's a first year at university in London and I went down to see her yesterday. When we were walking down Whitehall and past the Cenotaph, she said that she had seen a memorial for all the animals killed in war. I told her about Morrissey wearing a purple poppy at the the Liverpool concert. She said that she loved Morrissey. Later on she got onto bearskin hats, and I told her about his letter to the Times. She thinks he's the nicest man ever! She's been vegetarian for most of her life by her own choice. Also asked me if Morrissey wore leather shoes - I don't know - they always look too nice to be pleather...

This made me smile. My daughter has also ridiculed me over the years. She's a first year at university in London and I went down to see her yesterday. When we were walking down Whitehall and past the Cenotaph, she said that she had seen a memorial for all the animals killed in war. I told her about Morrissey wearing a purple poppy at the the Liverpool concert. She said that she loved Morrissey. Later on she got onto bearskin hats, and I told her about his letter to the Times. She thinks he's the nicest man ever! She's been vegetarian for most of her life by her own choice. Also asked me if Morrissey wore leather shoes - I don't know - they always look too nice to be pleather...

He definitely wore leather shoes until the mid-90s, not sure if he's found an ethical alternative by now though? Most likely.

My (nearly) 3-year old is now doing a fair job of singing both verses of Please, Please, Please, without knowing any English. Not that I expect the enthusiasm to last uninterruptedly into adulthood, but it makes his daddy proud. I haven't even tried teaching it to him, it's just been part of the bedtime repertoire I've sung to him, and he's picked it up himself. :)

cheers

My (nearly) 3-year old is now doing a fair job of singing both verses of Please, Please, Please, without knowing any English. Not that I expect the enthusiasm to last uninterruptedly into adulthood, but it makes his daddy proud. I haven't even tried teaching it to him, it's just been part of the bedtime repertoire I've sung to him, and he's picked it up himself. :)

cheers

What, no "Asleep"? :rolleyes:

Call me squeamish and old-fashioned if you will, but there's something about using suicide anthems as lullabies that just seems wrong. :) Not that Please, Please, Please is really the perfect lullaby either, but at least you can think that plain old suffering and desperation is good for building character and providing a balanced outlook on life. Or something. If he understood English, that is.

cheers

Call me squeamish and old-fashioned if you will, but there's something about using suicide anthems as lullabies that just seems wrong. :) Not that Please, Please, Please is really the perfect lullaby either, but at least you can think that plain old suffering and desperation is good for building character and providing a balanced outlook on life. Or something. If he understood English, that is.

cheers

I have always thought that if I had a small child I would force it to read "The Iliad" to have a properly balanced appreciation for life and death. Really anything Greek, you know? "Sonny boy, 'twould have been better had you and I never been born. But here we are, so Happy f***ing Birthday".

I have always thought that if I had a small child I would force it to read "The Iliad" to have a properly balanced appreciation for life and death. Really anything Greek, you know? "Sonny boy, 'twould have been better had you and I never been born. But here we are, so Happy f***ing Birthday".

My mother got me a copy of the Iliad for my 7th birthday and I always loved it, it was this beautifully bound book which aslo had within it these fascinating :horny: Renaissance era paintings of the characters from the Iliad, shucks, some of those were probably the first pics of naked ladies that I ever saw :eek: and I did not see anything wrong with that until now :blushing: thanks Worm :p

ps: its totally awesome that your daughter is coming around about Moz now because of her peers :thumb:

One of the first discoveries you would make about small children is that they cannot be forced to read, or listen to, anything they don't want to. I suspect that a further discovery down the line would be that they don't turn out to be particularly interested in your (or my) take on life, the universe and everything. :)

On the other hand, they internalise as "normality" the world-view they experience as implicit in everything you do and say. Which is a much more ruthless thought than any Greek literature. ;)

cheers

cheers

Wow! My kids (7 and 5 years old) have their personal Moz favourites: Everyday is like sunday, Ask, but most of all Hairdresser on fire: the boy is mad about busy busy ooh ooh...he sings along and he's fantastic. He's not english speaking, of course. Their 18 months old sister tries to sing "hang the DJ". Educated from the cradle. I'm so proud of my kids :) :p

I quite liked Michael Jackson when I was a small child...

Be careful what you wish for. I have a 17 year old daughter mad for The Smiths and Morrissey, the signed poster will now be framed and wrapped up for xmas. Now I need to
buy her a record player and the whole vinyl collecting begins again.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Slade!

As for Gary Glitter and Jacko - Both had some great, great pop songs. It's funny that one of them is still played on the radio and the other isn't...

On the other hand, they internalise as "normality" the world-view they experience as implicit in everything you do and say. Which is a much more ruthless thought than any Greek literature. ;)

cheers

So it's all by example? Then I will spare the child "The Iliad" and instead spend all my time sitting upon the ground telling sad stories of the death of kings.

Last edited:
My mother got me a copy of the Iliad for my 7th birthday and I always loved it, it was this beautifully bound book which aslo had within it these fascinating :horny: Renaissance era paintings of the characters from the Iliad, shucks, some of those were probably the first pics of naked ladies that I ever saw :eek: and I did not see anything wrong with that until now :blushing: thanks Worm :p

Yeah, my parents made sure that I had most of the classics when I was a bit too young to understand them; usually I just looked at the pictures. The Greeks were the best - those gauzy, seductive goddesses, and all those muscular, buff men in armor. :D

I finally read the Iliad and the Odyssey in High School, and I'll never forget wandering the halls, thinking about Achilles and Patroclus, Odysseus and Circe (poor Penelope). Those characters are alive to me still.

I'll never forget wandering the halls, thinking about Achilles and Patroclus, Odysseus and Circe (poor Penelope).

What, you didn't get the rulebook? You were supposed to be wandering around trying to be Holden Caulfield. :lbf:

Tags
ih8georgelucas
Back
Top Bottom