"Surely how I feel is not nothing?" by Morrissey - statement at true-to-you.net

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Shame on you Billy Bragg, Paul Weller & Oasis. Gawd bless Morrissey! - Pleeeaaassseee keeep saying it exactly as it is!!

Lord Bragg of Dorsetshire has had his say, from the comfort of his agreeable beachside property. He very cleverly manages to interpose himself in any discussion about Englishness, which although it can be irritating at least keeps him out of the recording studio more than is strictly necessary.

I always suspected Weller was a political poseur. He was part of Red Wedge with the Style Council, but so were Bananarama. On the few occasions I heard Weller discuss politics he was even more incoherent than usual. As for the Gallagher brothers, Liam appears to know little about anything and cares less, while Noel strikes me as a lefty in the Tony Blair meaning of the word. That is to say not at all.

Lord Bragg of Dorsetshire has had his say, from the comfort of his agreeable beachside property. He very cleverly manages to interpose himself in any discussion about Englishness, which although it can be irritating at least keeps him out of the recording studio more than is strictly necessary.

I always suspected Weller was a political poseur. He was part of Red Wedge with the Style Council, but so were Bananarama. On the few occasions I heard Weller discuss politics he was even more incoherent than usual. As for the Gallagher brothers, Liam appears to know little about anything and cares less, while Noel strikes me as a lefty in the Tony Blair meaning of the word. That is to say not at all.

It's alright Johnny, at least you had Barlow and Halliwell on your side :lbf:

I find it hard to disagree with what Bragg said, none of it seems to be false.

Interesting. I had already suspected that Morrissey only sang a few songs with vague political content because of the help they gained from Labour. You know, "Heaven knows I am miserable now" to give the impression that you care about something. All I have to figure out now is from whom he got his interview training. Most people do get this kind of training by joining political parties early in life, which gives them a distinct advantage over the many others who don't, but "the run up to the 1987 general election" doesn't explain his interview sophistication in ... don't know, from when were the first interviews that can be watched on Youtube? The Muriel Gray one for example?

Billy Bragg...

This is not a time for celebration. The death of Margaret Thatcher is nothing more than a salient reminder of how Britain got into the mess that we are in today.

Of why ordinary working people are no longer able to earn enough from one job to support a family; of why there is a shortage of decent affordable housing; of why domestic growth is driven by credit, not by real incomes; of why tax-payers are forced to top up wages; of why a spiteful government seeks to penalise the poor for having an extra bedroom; of why Rupert Murdoch became so powerful; of why cynicism and greed became the hallmarks of our society.

Raising a glass to the death of an infirm old lady changes none of this. The only real antidote to cynicism is activism. Don't celebrate - organise!

Whether you agree with him or not, at least he doesn't sound like a petulant teenager.

Also, can I just ask, at what point did Oasis become "protest singers"?

Thanks for the Billy Bragg quote about Thatcher. I take it back, he did actually comment on her death. However, his words are very meek and mild but what can you expect from an ex squaddie (who really can not sing) & who has completely sold out, anyone would think that was James Blunt talking! As Johnny Barleycorn states, BB is now Lording it up in his Dorsetshire mansion. The same Lord Bragg who gained recognition, fame & a handsome living on the back of Red Wedge & the miners strike.

My point here is that the likes of BB, Weller & yes even Oasis emerge into the musical spotlight full of angst, attitude & hope & shake up the charts with something new & different. Then they just sell out and disappoint. I admire Morrissey enormously, yes he is extremely famous, he is probably very rich, he probably owns fancy properties & probably has a nice life off stage BUT he is true to his beliefs whether it be his views on the vile Royals, Thatcher,The Falklands,Vegetarianism, the media, individuality. He is not scared of expressing his views just in case people he upsets the applecart, he says it loud & clear.He really does stick to his guns, if he does sound like a petulant teenager to some then that is because he really hasn't changed his beliefs on the afore mentioned topics since his teenage years. He is a real person,true to himself, he can't fake it. I personally think some of his recent tracks " Action is my middle name" " People are the same" are as fresh & edgy as his earlier stuff. Just saying.

In answer,and on reflection, Oasis probably weren't protest singers in the traditional sense but Liam was great at slagging off his contempories & causing a stir. For example when he heard that Gerri Halliwell was going to be a judge on the Vile X Factor he reacted with " What the F does she know about music" Correct. What have the likes of Gary Barlow & his panel of deadheads done to popular music? As for Noel, he made a political stand when he took tea & cakes with The Blair Witch duo at No.10. Then he totally regretted it.
Have a good day all, off to the grind now.

Thanks for the Billy Bragg quote about Thatcher. I take it back, he did actually comment on her death. However, his words are very meek and mild but what can you expect from an ex squaddie (who really can not sing) & who has completely sold out, anyone would think that was James Blunt talking! As Johnny Barleycorn states, BB is now Lording it up in his Dorsetshire mansion. The same Lord Bragg who gained recognition, fame & a handsome living on the back of Red Wedge & the miners strike.

My point here is that the likes of BB, Weller & yes even Oasis emerge into the musical spotlight full of angst, attitude & hope & shake up the charts with something new & different. Then they just sell out and disappoint. I admire Morrissey enormously, yes he is extremely famous, he is probably very rich, he probably owns fancy properties & probably has a nice life off stage BUT he is true to his beliefs whether it be his views on the vile Royals, Thatcher,The Falklands,Vegetarianism, the media, individuality. He is not scared of expressing his views just in case people he upsets the applecart, he says it loud & clear.He really does stick to his guns, if he does sound like a petulant teenager to some then that is because he really hasn't changed his beliefs on the afore mentioned topics since his teenage years. He is a real person,true to himself, he can't fake it. I personally think some of his recent tracks " Action is my middle name" " People are the same" are as fresh & edgy as his earlier stuff. Just saying.

In answer,and on reflection, Oasis probably weren't protest singers in the traditional sense but Liam was great at slagging off his contempories & causing a stir. For example when he heard that Gerri Halliwell was going to be a judge on the Vile X Factor he reacted with " What the F does she know about music" Correct. What have the likes of Gary Barlow & his panel of deadheads done to popular music? As for Noel, he made a political stand when he took tea & cakes with The Blair Witch duo at No.10. Then he totally regretted it.
Have a good day all, off to the grind now.
Why is Billy Bragg a sell out?
I accept that he has made money throughout his career and now lives in a big house but I don't see how this constitutes selling out.
I'd live in a big house if I could. Wouldn't you?
His embrace of the concept of 'englishness' is an interesting one.
Initially I objected to it as I viewed it as some kind of shallow patriotism but on reflection I think he has a point.
There is a huge section of white working class people to whom the concept of country means something (not me!) and the danger is that we let the likes of the vile EDF monopolise this.

It's alright Johnny, at least you had Barlow and Halliwell on your side :lbf:

I find it hard to disagree with what Bragg said, none of it seems to be false.

You forgot Gary Numan!

I don't accept this Thatcher is the root of all our current ills narrative. She left office twenty-three years ago, thirteen of which New Labour were in power. Plenty of time to roll back Thatcherism, you would imagine. Instead they spent the early years covering up for the Dunblane scandal, a horror which reached the Cabinet itself and necessitated a swift promotion abroad for a Minister of the Crown so he was out of harms way, and most of the rest fighting unnecessary wars on false pretences.

Besides which Labour claim they hold no responsibility for their myriad failings between 1997 and 2010 and they got only got chucked out three years ago.

Thank you. I'm right there as well. I only remember her on the TV with President Reagan.

The way its being covered in Britain is it was Reagan on the TV with her. And she invented science, was a descendant of Emily Davison and rid the world of the commies and child poverty too. All the while being a very nice lady even if she was a tough politiican.// which she had to be in a man's world.

It won't be long before the truth will come out about that woman and her legacy; the internet is great for that sort of thing

My point here is that the likes of BB, Weller & yes even Oasis emerge into the musical spotlight full of angst, attitude & hope & shake up the charts with something new & different.

I don't know what Woody Guthrie, the Small Faces or the Beatles might make of those artists being new and different, particularly Oasis. Robbing bastards.

I admire Morrissey enormously, yes he is extremely famous, he is probably very rich, he probably owns fancy properties & probably has a nice life off stage BUT he is true to his beliefs whether it be his views on the vile Royals, Thatcher,The Falklands,Vegetarianism, the media, individuality.

I've never heard him preach individuality, certainly not to the fans who follow his every word without questioning. What would be the point? It would be like that scene in Life Of Brian. "You're all individuals!" "Yes, we are all individuals!!"

He is not scared of expressing his views just in case people he upsets the applecart, he says it loud & clear.He really does stick to his guns, if he does sound like a petulant teenager to some then that is because he really hasn't changed his beliefs on the afore mentioned topics since his teenage years. He is a real person,true to himself, he can't fake it.

Well, an intelligent person would surely develop their opinions to some degree, perhaps becoming more radical in some areas and less in others. To not change at all is bizarre and a trait of the lesser primates, rather than a living breathing human bean.

Morrissey likes to portray himself as this misunderstood iconoclast forever at the mercy of a press bent on his destruction and that of his uncompromising vision. Thing is he has pursued "fame and fortune and everything that gooooooeeeeesssss with it" with some vigour for three decades. He's as much a part of the pop world as Beyonce or Jay-Zed, or any of the others. Morrissey's ego certainly seems no less rampant. It just needs massaging in a slightly different way.

Take the record deal fiasco. Morrissey does seem to like having his cake and eat it. He lambasts record companies for not wishing to sink a few hundred thousand pounds into his next album, but when asked why he doesn't release it himself, his answer seems to be "What, and waste all that money??"

His vision was compromised a long time ago, sadly.

You forgot Gary Numan!

I don't accept this Thatcher is the root of all our current ills narrative. She left office twenty-three years ago, thirteen of which New Labour were in power. Plenty of time to roll back Thatcherism, you would imagine. Instead they spent the early years covering up for the Dunblane scandal, a horror which reached the Cabinet itself and necessitated a swift promotion abroad for a Minister of the Crown so he was out of harms way, and most of the rest fighting unnecessary wars on false pretences.

Besides which Labour claim they hold no responsibility for their myriad failings between 1997 and 2010 and they got only got chucked out three years ago.

Blair just continued Thatcher's work, I don't think Cameron will stop until he outdoes Thatcher in helping the haves while battering the have nots, meanwhile we're stuck with Milliband the hallibut as an alternative. Viva la revolution.

Blair just continued Thatcher's work, I don't think Cameron will stop until he outdoes Thatcher in helping the haves while battering the have nots, meanwhile we're stuck with Milliband the hallibut as an alternative. Viva la revolution.

There won't be a revolution here any time soon. The people are broadly speaking very comfortably off.

The reason Assad is still in power in Syria is not enough of the population oppose him, and look at his record.

Nicolai Ceaușescu ruled Romania for thirty years. When the people decided they'd had enough he was riddled with bullets in three days flat.

Here the vast majority of people have a rather nice life. Could it be better? Yes, but what couldn't?

There won't be a revolution here any time soon. The people are broadly speaking very comfortably off.

The reason Assad is still in power in Syria is not enough of the population oppose him, and look at his record.

Nicolai Ceaușescu ruled Romania for thirty years. When the people decided they'd had enough he was riddled with bullets in three days flat.

Here the vast majority of people have a rather nice life. Could it be better? Yes, but what couldn't?

Fair points on the whole, I do think our politicians are lucky that when people do kick off they're generally too stupid to know why they're kicking off. You're frustrated with your dead end no option life? f*** it, go looting :crazy:

People have short memories and short attention spans, and that is to the benefit of every party.

Only once in my life have I seen genuine fear in the eyes of MPs and that was the expenses scandal. They were teetering on the edge, the ledge beyond the edge, of what I don't know, but they were frightened.

Luckily something far less important came along to save them.

The cynicism of the State remains regardless of the incumbents at local or national level. It's one of the reason why I'm slightly mystified that Thatcher is singled out for particular scorn. What about Callaghan or Heath? Disasters both.

At the moment in my area you cannot move for the Old Bill tooling around in their panda cars. Why? Local elections next week. At 10pm next Thursday night the status quo will return and you won't see a peeler for weeks on end. Every local election it's the same. I'm sure they think we don't notice what they're up to.

Last edited:
Really? Seems a little biased. I prefer more balanced accounts

I'm getting a bit tired of apologists for her. You don't here her supporters throwing bones to the people that despised her, they defend her to the hilt and won't hear a word against her so why the f*** are her opponents always asked to offer another side to her? She did a lot of bad, a hell of a lot of bad and people are doing their best to airbrush it out of history. Following her sycophantic send off it's time she was held to account once again, this revisionism won't do.

I'm getting a bit tired of apologists for her. You don't here her supporters throwing bones to the people that despised her, they defend her to the hilt and won't hear a word against her so why the f*** are her opponents always asked to offer another side to her? She did a lot of bad, a hell of a lot of bad and people are doing their best to airbrush it out of history. Following her sycophantic send off it's time she was held to account once again, this revisionism won't do.

Very true. She was a truly foul human being without one redeeming feature.

Contained within this piece is yet another indication of the absolute cancer at the heart of the extreme left. It condemns Thatcher for aiding Communists in Kampuchea and then for killing the representatives of a Fascist Junta in the South Atlantic. You can't win with these ludicrous, posing, bourgeois, middle class wankers.

Let's be honest. She's loathed by the left for one reason and one reason only. She crushed the Communist fruitcakes in charge of the NUM. All else is flim flam. The extreme left don't give a shit about the proles. Never have.

Let's be honest. She's loathed by the left for one reason and one reason only. She crushed the Communist fruitcakes in charge of the NUM. All else is flim flam. The extreme left don't give a shit about the proles. Never have.

Obviously you just can't see it Johnny, I've said a ton of things she's hated for on this thread yet you keep banging on about Miners. This is fine, you're a fan so I don't expect you to understand or concede what an utter Bastard she was to those that didn't prosper from her policies, what I don't understand is why those that she bummed year on year out are happy to go mute.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom