Sydney - State Theater (Dec. 10, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Suedehead / Alma Matters / Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / How Soon Is Now? / Girlfriend In A Coma / Let Me Kiss You / Half A Person / Speedway / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Tom Blom.

Last edited:
Great show! Yes. Same Setlist but remember Australians haven’t had the chance to see Morrissey since 2016 so we are just happy to see Him here tbh. So first Down Under airings of LIHS, IANADOAC songs plus, ‘Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings’, on this tour were a treat to hear. For me it was great to hear this Setlist live for the first time, as opposed to just reading the list of songs from previous shows. It was so good with 10 singles in a row to start; it packed a punch.

He started His ‘Hello’ intro with an accapella-mash of This Charming Man and Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now. Something along the lines of:

‘I would go out tonight but I haven’t got a stitch to wear and heaven knows I’m in Sydney now’

Something like that. No video, sorry.

Up in the dress circle it was bloody loud, piercing. Hopefully it was better downstairs but the State Theatre is probably a hard venue to get the sound right throughout. Looking forward to a stalls seat and better sound tonight.

Individual tee for the Sydney/State Theatre shows looked nice. No pic, sorry.

CR x

Can these additions to the pre-show video be confirmed by attendees please?

The Divinyls (was an Australian band), singing In My Life
and/or, maybe, Because?

Also, Boozy Creed by Stinky Toys used 2006-7 . Is their song Birthday Party featured now?

True that Hong Kong Garden has been re-added to the video reel?

📸 by @antfan

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

📸 by @basia_ana

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Venue looks great and I'm sure everyone had a great time. You'd think Moz would change the setlist now and again, if only for his own sanity.
I did have a fantastic time and so did my company! I'll write up a little review of last night before I go out for tonights show.

Parting words before Sweet and Tender Hooligan -

Morrissey: "If you're planning on returning for tomorrow night I will keep your seat warm for you."

That would be amazing!
It would be the greatest career move MOZ has made in the last 20 years!

But sadly its not gonna happen... MOZ is gonna keep this current mediocre budget band for awhile.
Moz let Alain and Guz go because he couldn't afford the salary of a true musicians anymore.
The new mediocre members only get half of what Guz and Alain were paid because they have half their talent and skill.

These Quarry shows are just to recover lost funds for all the cancellations this year.
So, you know what the musicians are paid? Tell us how much then!

The sound in the stalls was perfect last night. In the circle tonight so thanks for the heads-up. Viva Moz!

That would be amazing!
It would be the greatest career move MOZ has made in the last 20 years!

But sadly its not gonna happen... MOZ is gonna keep this current mediocre budget band for awhile.
Moz let Alain and Guz go because he couldn't afford the salary of a true musicians anymore.
The new mediocre members only get half of what Guz and Alain were paid because they have half their talent and skill.

These Quarry shows are just to recover lost funds for all the cancellations this year.
I certainly wouldn’t call them a budget band. I’m sure Brendan gets paid well. He’s the best drummer Morrissey has ever had (I’m fond of the others, too. In fact, I loved Dean) but he’s very professional, has years of experience, and he’s not going to sell himself short. As for Carmen, Camila, and Juan, I doubt it’s not much less than what he’s paid Solomon, Matt, or Gustavo in the past. Morrissey wouldn’t discriminate like that and they wouldn’t be with him if he didn’t like what they contribute. I’m guessing there’s a set amount that he offers just to balance his own budget.

So you don’t actually know amounts. And Jesse? You missed him out. He’s been with Moz since 2004 snd is the creative director so he will be paid the most, no doubt. More then BrEnDAn!!!

Yes it is frustrating that Morrissey can't get an album deal and yes he does cancel far too many concerts without a sufficient explanation, but when you're there and he's there belting out those tunes we know and love it all becomes clear. He sang every song with gusto and verve. I was further away than I usually get but that didn't sway me at all. Also he was moving and shaking about more than I've seen in recent years. Whipping the mic and high kicks like he used to back in the day.

My highlights were How Soon Is Now, Suedehead, Everyday is Like Sunday and especially Darling I Hug A Pillow. The part where he soars singing Oh darling I, Oh Darling I, had me choked up for a bit. Oh and Irish Blood, English Heart was insane too!

He was very funny and very quick to slay all of us hit n' sweaty cretins with funny anecdotes and retorts. Someone shouted the usual but always endearing "I love You!" to which he replied "You can take a very large valium for that, a very, very large one, while he gestured with his hands making the shape of a dinner plate. The Ed Sheeran snipe got a raucous laugh. I think his welcome intro line was something like "It's great to be back amongst Sydney's flesh pots, if you know what I mean (or did he say flesh spots? not sure)

The sound was pretty good but there were definitely some moments of distortion on the right hand side that drowned out a few guitar licks one looks forward to hearing. Jesse had a few clumsy guitar bots on some of the Smiths songs that I think Alain could've cleaned up but Jesse more than made up for it with his mandolin style strumming on Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

Looking forward to tonights show as I will be closer and up in the cockpit so to speak. Morrissey get ready for a firm grip and a sweaty drip!

Can these additions to the pre-show video be confirmed by attendees please?

The Divinyls (was an Australian band), singing In My Life
and/or, maybe, Because?

Also, Boozy Creed by Stinky Toys used 2006-7 . Is their song Birthday Party featured now?

True that Hong Kong Garden has been re-added to the video reel?
Yep. Birthday Party was the Stinky Toys tune that was in the reels for the 1st Sydney show
Hong Kong Garden was there too.
Pretty sure it was In My Life by the Divinyls, but not 100% certain.

So you don’t actually know amounts. And Jesse? You missed him out. He’s been with Moz since 2004 snd is the creative director so he will be paid the most, no doubt. More then BrEnDAn!!!
Well, I was replying to the same post you were replying to, so maybe they know more than me. I’m guesstimating. I didn’t leave Jesse out. I just didn’t mention him. It’s obvious he would make more.

Same old arrogant Morrissey. Has zero regard for fans unless you guilt him into signing at an airport when its being filmed. Blatenly pushed pas the 2 fans before the show asking to sign HIS book. The after the show when the same 2 people wait 1.5hrs after the show when no one else is around also blows them off. Two separate venue staff also told me he ignores them when they said hello. Great performer. Always has been. Zero bloke.

Morrissey
State Theatre, December 10
Reviewed by JAMES JENNINGS
★★★★

Article/review minus subscription nag:

“I shouldn’t be here – I should be dead,” deadpans the man born Stephen Morrissey part way into his show.
He then goes on to half-jokingly tell us about a recent unpleasant plane ride before ending with the barb, “the good thing about being dead, though, is you’d never have to listen to Ed Sheeran again”.
The anecdote captures the essence of Morrissey perfectly: dramatic and darkly humorous, with a dash of bitchiness thrown in.

Those traits have led to Morrissey being loved and loathed in equal measure over the years, with his outspoken nature and at times questionable politics making him a particularly divisive character.
The people who love the 64-year-old singer and songwriter, though, really love him.
They are out in full force in front of the stage, reaching out to touch their idol and gratefully accepting the gifts he throws to them – a sweat-soaked scarf and T-shirt – as if they were manna from heaven.
The reason Morrissey invokes such devotion is clear from the moment he first sings on this night, cheekily repurposing Smiths lyrics into “I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I’m in Sydney now”: it’s that unmistakable voice, which conveys heartache and longing like little else.
Although he has been around for decades – the gig is billed as “40 Years of Morrissey” – the man himself is energised and playful on this night, peppering jokes in-between beloved solo songs (Suedehead, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful) and Smiths classics (Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before, How Soon Is Now?).
Both the older and more recent tracks are given some rock’n’roll muscle thanks to a crack five-piece band featuring a particularly impressive drummer.
Roughly a third of the songs come from Morrissey’s revered ’80s band, which may not seem like enough for some but it’s an understandable ratio considering of those 40 years only five were spent as a Smith.
He may have been dubbed the “pope of mope” by the UK music press but the stream of humorous banter makes Morrissey seem far more approachable than expected, which is perhaps why several audience members feel compelled to try and invade the stage to hug their hero.
It’s equal parts theatrical, rock’n’roll and a bit silly – just how Morrissey, on fine form, would probably want it.

I certainly wouldn’t call them a budget band. I’m sure Brendan gets paid well. He’s the best drummer Morrissey has ever had (I’m fond of the others, too. In fact, I loved Dean) but he’s very professional, has years of experience, and he’s not going to sell himself short. As for Carmen, Camila, and Juan, I doubt it’s not much less than what he’s paid Solomon, Matt, or Gustavo in the past. Morrissey wouldn’t discriminate like that and they wouldn’t be with him if he didn’t like what they contribute. I’m guessing there’s a set amount that he offers just to balance his own budget.
in the 90s the band were on a $1000 a show so i would imagine in 2023 it wll be double that,without them there is no show,has any former band member ever said they werent paid enough,iv not heard of anyone.

Well, what a fantastic shots by @abekhamis

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

FWD:
Morrissey
State Theatre, December 10
Reviewed by JAMES JENNINGS
★★★★

Does James Jennings write for a paper or just for himself?

The Australian published this flat cliched review

Yep. Birthday Party was the Stinky Toys tune that was in the reels for the 1st Sydney show
Hong Kong Garden was there too.
Pretty sure it was In My Life by the Divinyls, but not 100% certain.
Thanks for the extra new info :)

Did anyone notice the public rally held in support of Julian Assange in Sydney same day?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom