The official ART thread

I like paintings of animals.

Here's The Spotted Horse by Paulus Potter (1625-1654)
POTTER_Paulus_The_Spotted_Horse.jpg

Young Bull by Paulus Potter
y_bull.jpg

"In the work of Paulus Potter views of nature and animals are seen for their own sake, and not as a backdrop for human action. Potter can paint equally well the bright sunlight and the cool air, but his real fame lies with his penetrating portraits of animals. His best-known work is the life-size Young Bull, an unusual heroization of a single animal, a counterpart to the monumental trend of Ruisdael and Cuyp." *

Then there's Punishment of a Hunter by Paulus Potter. I'm sorry you can't see it too well in this pic, but here's a look. I don't like what happens to the hunter's dogs.....
z10454.jpg

potter_jaeger.jpg

"It was 'acquired'—looted might be nearer the mark—from Napoleon's empress Josephine in 1814, after the indescribably bloody French retreat from Russia. Consisting of two central panels and a dozen peripheral ones, and entitled Punishment of a Hunter, it depicts a bear and two wolves hauling a hunter before a tribunal consisting of an elephant, a ram, a leopard, and a lion. A fox holds down the bill of indictment with his paw. The hunter's cringing dogs are dragged behind him, by a bear and a boar. The later scene shows the hunter being roasted on a spit by his former victims, while his dog auxiliaries are hoisted skyward on a rope. In the peripheral panels we see creatures being shot, trapped, impaled, or hounded."*

Theo said:
I like paintings of animals.
So does Mr. Proper! This is his favorite sculpture. He says it's about the tenderness between a man and his interspecial partner.

I think it's just a "horny" old guy screwing a goat! :rolleyes:

EE-Pan-with-Goat.jpg

Aha...an art thread. Great idea.
This is one of my favorite artists, Gerhard Richter:
gerhard-richter-frau-180x278.jpg

gerhard_richter_5.jpg

0047_t3378_maxi.jpg

And finally, one of my own:D

If you don't know Gerhard Richter, I should tell you, those are oil paintings, not photographs!
The guy is a genius!

I love this thread, all that Munch and Bacon...incredible...

I think Mister Codreanu should share with us more christian art

Perfection...
640.jpg

I remember myself standing in front of it about 20 minutes. I was very impressed. I think I was 15.
Rembrandt_Frankfurt_Blinding_Samson_1636.jpg

ehmm, he really is a work of art...
istanbul05.jpg

Pervomartovtsi said:
I was expecting more..but I forgive you son
The Ghent Altarpiece by Jan van Eyck (1432)

ghentopn1xi3.jpg

(altar wings closed) Oil on panel, Each panel 146.2 x 51.4 cm (57 1/2 x 20 1/4 in)
ghentcls1bh5.jpg

(outer wings) detail, Adam from left wing, Eve from right
adameveue5.jpg

detail of lower central panel
worshipperskj9.jpg

detail of lower central panel
whiteredof6.jpg

/ / /

St John Altarpiece by Rogier van der Weyden (1455-60)
img10nz2.jpg

Raising of Lazarus by Benozzo Gozzoli (1497)
lazarus2go7.jpg

The Coronation of Our Lady by Fra Angelico
angelico36xm3.jpg

Last edited:
photo does not do it justice (and b/w because no flash)
DSCN1558.jpg

and some rennie mackintosh because its gorgeous
mack1.jpg

and some rock n roll art for fun!
carl.jpg

So, Cod, how much christian art adorns the walls of your abode?

Do you have a special formula for determining the right mix of christian art, cat art, and morrissey art when decorating? I imagine the competition among these three is stiff!

noip remember he loves more robert 'c***' smith than Morriseh,sad though U.u

and YES YES YES YES YES...that was what I was expecting( amazing christian art in industrial quantities)

I have always loved the Drawing of Olimpio Fusco by John Singer Sargent:

SARGENT_John_Singer_Olimpio_Fusco_circa_1900_source_sandstead_d2h_.jpg

zom

vivaissy said:
photo does not do it justice (and b/w because no flash)
DSCN1558.jpg

What's the name of that one?

When I was in the Modern Tate Gallery in London, a few months ago, I was soooo impressed by Rothko! Really, he's great! His works were in this little room, with few lights, and with chairs where you could lay down, and really, the effect was amazing! I just wanted that I'd been alone then...

Tate link

Tags
art no moz pix omg colorz wutizdat
Back
Top Bottom