The Times: "Johnny Marr: How could Meryl Streep agree to be in Mamma Mia?" (March 19, 2024)

He does come across as a bit full of himself.

"I’m having a fantasy dinner party, I’ll put on this music:"

"The Best of Johnny Marr."

:grimacing:
If that was the case you'd think he's have the good taste to at least put on the best of The Smiths. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

just all seems a bit safe,interviewer may as well have asked whats your favourite colour.

If that was the case you'd think he's have the good taste to at least put on the best of The Smiths. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Nice to see that the tour supporting the best of album has sold out though, including Hammersmith Apollo, never thought he would ever be able to sell that place out.

Nice to see that the tour supporting the best of album has sold out though, including Hammersmith Apollo, never thought he would ever be able to sell that place out.
Yeah yeah, nicer and all, since he left The Smiths he hasn't come CLOSE to replicating that level of work. Facts.

Yeah yeah, nicer and all, since he left The Smiths he hasn't come CLOSE to replicating that level of work. Facts.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, however he does seem to be becoming more popular as time goes on. As I said, I never thought he would be able to sell out the Hammersmith Apollo or play to 10k people in Manchester over 2 nights as he did in December.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, however he does seem to be becoming more popular as time goes on. As I said, I never thought he would be able to sell out the Hammersmith Apollo or play to 10k people in Manchester over 2 nights as he did in December.
Do you think people are going to hear his new stuff or because they are going to hear 2-3 Smiths tracks and then virtue signal to their co-workers that they went and saw Johnny Marr on on the weekend? (I doubt most of them could name many, if any, of his solo tracks.)

I know this type of behaviour exists because I myself went and saw the Dalai Lama speak once, just to tell people I'd seen the Dalai Lama, (and I've never forgiven myself since.)

It's screamingly obvious that Johnny's increase in popularity coincides very neatly with Morrissey's fall from grace. If Morrissey was still in his acceptable "British cultural icon" phase and was touring new and classic solo material with a smattering of Smiths hits, there would be almost no need for anyone to go and see Johnny.

Having said that, absolutely fair play to Johnny for being smart and hard-working enough to fill in this vacuum, now that M has been airbrushed out of polite society.

Do you think people are going to hear his new stuff or because they are going to hear 2-3 Smiths tracks and then virtue signal to their co-workers that they went and saw Johnny Marr on on the weekend? (I doubt most of them could name many, if any, of his solo tracks.)

I know this type of behaviour exists because I myself went and saw the Dalai Lama speak once, just to tell people I'd seen the Dalai Lama, (and I've never forgiven myself since.)

At the Manchester shows most people knew the new stuff and the biggest audience response was actually for one of the Electronic songs. He's had 4 top 10 albums now so some people are clearly into his solo stuff.

At the Manchester shows most people knew the new stuff and the biggest audience response was actually for one of the Electronic songs. He's had 4 top 10 albums now so some people are clearly into his solo stuff.
Wow, then color ,me surprised if Johnny is filling up 10K arenas based off his solo material.

Wow, then color ,me surprised if Johnny is filling up 10K arenas based off his solo material.

It was 5k each night at the Aviva Studios same capacity as the Hammersmith Apollo which he's sold out on the upcoming Best Of tour. The Manchester shows were the Orchestra gigs, so that probably helped shift a few tickets. Last time he played one of his own gigs in London it was at the Electric Ballroom which hold 1500.

Not sure if it's true, but I heard it's buy one (ticket) get ten free. I also understand he plays his one (and only) good song twenty five times.

Not sure if it's true, but I heard it's buy one (ticket) get ten free. I also understand he plays his one (and only) good song twenty five times.

Oh you know what I heard on the grapevine? I heard that if you bought a ticket for the cancelled Morrissey show in Brazil, they refunded you the money minus 30%! Basically, you had to pay a fee to get NOTHING in return! Pretty funny, right?

Oh you know what I heard on the grapevine? I heard that if you bought a ticket for the cancelled Morrissey show in Brazil, they refunded you the money minus 30%! Basically, you had to pay a fee to get NOTHING in return! Pretty funny, right?

That sucks, big time!

That’s a good deal, unfortunately I never saw that on ticketmaster, interestingly Morrissey seems to have been giving tickets away for his recent Quarry gigs ( which he then cancelled)

Last edited:
That’s a good deal, unfortunately I never saw that on ticketmaster, interestingly Morrissey seems to have been giving tickets away for his recent Quarry gigs ( which he then cancelled)

Not sure it's a good deal. Maybe buy one, get twenty free...but only ten, nah. It was on tacketmister, not ticketmaster. That's an easy mistake to make. Aye, Moz is undergoing some kind of...difficulties, I guess. He'll be back, though.

Sounds appealing.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom