This is why The Smiths are the best band ever

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqZdC6qXhLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqZdC6qXhLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqZdC6qXhLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqZdC6qXhLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The Smiths are the best band ever for one reason - Morrissey.
Take Morrissey away you have a run-of-the-mill retro pop band.

I may not agree. Marr is great guitarist and Rourke is godd bassist. I imagine that Smiths would be different without those ones. Joyce is vulgar - I can play like him.

The reason why The Smiths are the best band ever is because of the Marr-Morrissey dynamic. The other two could've been anybody.

andy rourke's majestic basslines and Mike Joyce's four to the floor antics are why The Smiths are the most revered band since Adam & The Ants. Morrissey and Marr??? Sixth form poetry with a voice like a drowning cat and a Status Quo wannabe with a nice haircut

The Smiths are the best band ever for one reason - Morrissey.
Take Morrissey away you have a run-of-the-mill retro pop band.

Without Johnny knocking on Morrissey's door, Morrissey would still be stuck in his bedroom and living at home with his mum and this website wouldn't exist. The Smiths was Johnny's band.

The reason why The Smiths are the best band ever is because of the Marr-Morrissey dynamic. The other two could've been anybody.

The first part of your sentance is correct, the other needs correcting:thumb:
The other two ''could have been anybody'' but they weren't just anybody and they brought a lot to the table.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Without Johnny knocking on Morrissey's door, Morrissey would still be stuck in his bedroom and living at home with his mum and this website wouldn't exist. The Smiths was Johnny's band.

Really? Are you sure? Morrissey has no Johnny Marr with him today and seems to be doing very well indeed.

I think it's a myth that Morrissey was hopelessly crippled and couldn't possibly have made it on his own. The fact is, everything brutal, beautiful and unique about the Smiths emanated from Morrissey. Marr was the lucky guitarist who found the genius singer-songwriter, not the other way round. There are thousands of unemployed Marrs in cities all over England but there aren't many Morrisseys.

Really? Are you sure? Morrissey has no Johnny Marr with him today and seems to be doing very well indeed.

I think it's a myth that Morrissey was hopelessly crippled and couldn't possibly have made it on his own. The fact is, everything brutal, beautiful and unique about the Smiths emanated from Morrissey. Marr was the lucky guitarist who found the genius singer-songwriter, not the other way round. There are thousands of unemployed Marrs in cities all over England but there aren't many Morrisseys.

:crazy:

Can you explain why Billy Duffy couldn't help Morrissey, please?

Marr without Moz isn't nothing. What did he make (with importance) after he's left the Smiths?

Last edited:
Marr without Moz is nothing. What did he make (with importance) after he's left the Smiths?

Marr without Morrissey isn't nothing. Marr without Morrissey is a very good, possibly great guitarist and songwriter. But the magic of the Smiths was something else entirely. The magic was all Morrissey's. I find it laughable that people on this site frequently say Morrissey would be nothing without Marr.

The fact is history is made as much by accident as design. If Morrissey hadn't met Marr, he might have died in a car crash in 1983. But Morrissey's success was about as close as is possible to success by design. He had it all planned. That's why he was so good - and why we're all hooked.

Marr piggy-backed on Morrissey's genius and made a name for himself as a great guitarist and songsmith but let's not rewrite history.

:crazy:

Can you explain why Billy Duffy couldn't help Morrissey, please?

Hey bailiff, would you able to answer my question, please?

Hey bailiff, would you able to answer my question, please?

I think I've said enough. I have a headache. Good night.

Of course Morrissey today is doing well. But like I said..... Morrissey wasn't looking for Johnny - or anybody. His last band The Nosebleeds ended 4 years before The Smiths. Yet Johnny went looking for Morrissey. Without Johnny, Morrissey would be still writing letters to the NME and signing on.
Without Johnny there would not have been the outlet for his lyrics. Johnny formed The Smiths, ran The Smiths and ended The Smiths. Morrissey has reaped the rewards from Johnny's work and efforts.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Hey Kewpie, would you able to answer my question, please?

no?

so don't expext a response from others. f***.

Back
Top Bottom