Unpopular Opinion on Morrissey/Smiths?

I did most of the talking, but he was attentive, he listened, while I blabbered on about how much he and his music has meant to me. I was probably the one millionth guy saying exactly that that very day, but he really looked into my eyes and I really felt listened to. Of course he made small, short replies here and there and he repeated my name a bunch of times, but it’s his very warm attentiveness that I will remember until they lower me down into the ground. That and the hug. The long, warm hug. Nancy was right, he really is a great hugger.

Because of this I ultimately forgive him anything.
Thanks. That’s good to hear.

Haha… hope you’ll run into him some day!

This means you haven’t heard Vauxhall and I either? Or Your Arsenal? Wow…now I’m jealous. To be able to hear those records for the first time again. Enjoy! And let me know what you think! 🙌🏻
I hope I do too!

I've heard only Alma Matters from Vauxhall and that's it! Your Arsenal I've heard Glamorous Glue, Certain People I Know, Friends Become Successful, Fatty (I've made up lyrics for my kitty cat with this song), and Tomorrow. Pretty much all the ones with music videos lol.

:)

I hope I do too!

I've heard only Alma Matters from Vauxhall and that's it! Your Arsenal I've heard Glamorous Glue, Certain People I Know, Friends Become Successful, Fatty (I've made up lyrics for my kitty cat with this song), and Tomorrow. Pretty much all the ones with music videos lol.

:)
less doodling and more listening, Ashley
you have a whole world of Morrissey yet to discover

only joking by the way - doodling is great
doodling is the highway to the unconscious

maybe try doodling and listening at the same time?
I usually do listen to music when I do nearly everything. Doodling at work though.. I don't get to listen to music here. :(

I have books and books of doodles. I really enjoy doing a painting while listening through a record I've never heard before. I stop painting the moment the record is over, no matter where the painting's progress is. Though I've only done this once for H. Hawline's "Milk for Flowers", it was very fun. The painting is up on my "wall of original art" in my living room. :) I'm not a great artist, but I am an artist none-the-less and always have been since I was very small.

I think I'll do a painting for my first listen through Your Arsenal! :) I'll post my results on my Doodle thread xD

My unpopular opinion on The Smiths: I have never been a big fan of How Soon Is Now?
It's a great riff. But it's a great riff that is basically repeated for almost 7 minutes. Some great lyrics too - but lyrics for a 2 minute song dragged out for 7 minutes. I don't dislike or hate the song in any way. It's just very far from being my favourite Smiths track. It is a song I admire, rather than like. And you kind of get the feeling it's generally the favourite song by The Smiths of people who don't actually like The Smiths.

My unpopular opinion on The Smiths: I have never been a big fan of How Soon Is Now?
It's a great riff. But it's a great riff that is basically repeated for almost 7 minutes. Some great lyrics too - but lyrics for a 2 minute song dragged out for 7 minutes. I don't dislike or hate the song in any way. It's just very far from being my favourite Smiths track. It is a song I admire, rather than like. And you kind of get the feeling it's generally the favourite song by The Smiths of people who don't actually like The Smiths.
I agree with you on this completely. I'll listen to it if it's on, but I won't go out of my way to listen to it.

This. Amen to this.

I think that the band gets too much stick at times, m some of the directions they’ve gone in the last few years have been quite interesting, it’s just Moz often hasn’t matched his past works lyrically and that’s a massive reason people connect with his work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom