What do we want Years Of Refusal to sound like?

raincoated lover

concrete sister
I think it is obvious that Morrissey is maturing, and I think that he should celebrate this fact by adopting the musicologies of other legendary torch singers - Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday (Lady In Satin), Jacques Brel etc. I think his voice would sound perfect backed by a 24 piece orchestra with some original and inventive sounds and atmospheres.

Without a :guitar: in sight?

I think it is obvious that Morrissey is maturing, and I think that he should celebrate this fact by adopting the musicologies of other legendary torch singers - Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday (Lady In Satin), Jacques Brel etc. I think his voice would sound perfect backed by a 24 piece orchestra with some original and inventive sounds and atmospheres.

You took the words right out of my mouth... until the end.

Piaf is my favorite singer (next to Moz, of course). Lady Day is also unparalleled. Jacques Brel has just the right attitude.

The large orchestra is also a wonderful idea - I've been dreaming of it for years.

However, leave in the :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:. If he were to go all piano and strings on us, I think he would sound a bit sappy.

I want Years of Refusal to sound like "My Dearest Love" - melancholy, powerful, romantic, but with that aggressive edge.

You took the words right out of my mouth... until the end.

Piaf is my favorite singer (next to Moz, of course). Lady Day is also unparalleled. Jacques Brel has just the right attitude.

The large orchestra is also a wonderful idea - I've been dreaming of it for years.

However, leave in the :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:. If he were to go all piano and strings on us, I think he would sound a bit sappy.

I want Years of Refusal to sound like "My Dearest Love" - melancholy, powerful, romantic, but with that aggressive edge.

Maybe, but I think if his lyrics provide enough of fuel for the music, and vice versa, maybe the guitars would spoil such a dramatic atmosphere. Edith is my favourite woman, my favourite raconteur and my favourite human being. Morrissey unfortunatley doesn't come close to her, but I still love him.

I think it's pretty obvious from hearing his current band and reading what the keyboard player said about it, that it's going to be loud and rocky.

I think it's pretty obvious from hearing his current band and reading what the keyboard player said about it, that it's going to be loud and rocky.

True, but this is a thread in which we discuss what we want it to sound like, not what we expect it to. What do you want it sound like?

I wouldn't like that sound at all aside from maybe a few songs. On first blush it seems like a good idea but in reality a "rock" sound, however poppy it may be, is really the core of Morrissey's musical identity. Continuing on with a conventional rockish sound isn't the most exciting choice in the world but there's a certain amount of defiance in it which I respect. He isn't Axl Rose up there with an orchestra. He's not Lou Reed putting Edgar Allan Poe to music. He isn't David Bowie churning out synth pop. Musically speaking he'll be the same old Morrissey, much to my relief.

Last edited:
Edith is my favourite woman, my favourite raconteur and my favourite human being. Morrissey unfortunatley doesn't come close to her, but I still love him.

Heck yeah. I've already gone on and on about how much I love Edith Piaf on this forum. I do believe that Morrissey is as close as any of us are going to get.

I wouldn't like that sound at all aside from maybe a few songs. On first blush it seems like a good idea but in reality a "rock" sound, however poppy it may be, is really the core of Morrissey's musical identity. Continuing on with a conventional rockish sound isn't the most exciting choice in the world but there's a certain amount of defiance in it which I respect. He isn't Axl Rose up there with an orchestra. He's not Lou Reed putting Edgar Allan Poe to music. He isn't David Bowie churning out synth pop. Musically speaking he'll be the same old Morrissey, much to my relief.

Axl Rose is an awful human being. Lou Reed and David Bowie are rock staples. Morrissey, however, is in my eyes a torch singer - and that is how he will always stay. I think he adores his 70s punk far too much to commit himself to such a controversial and dangerous album as I have suggested, but I think it would work wonderously.

Heck yeah. I've already gone on and on about how much I love Edith Piaf on this forum. I do believe that Morrissey is as close as any of us are going to get.

It is always difficult as an Edith Piaf fan to actually express the importance of her existence. I have once or twice tried to dictate the fellow Mozzers of her beauty, but to no global avail.

Last edited:
Axl Rose is an awful human being. Lou Reed and David Bowie are rock staples. Morrissey, however, is in my eyes a torch singer - and that is how he will always stay. I think he adores his 70s punk far too much to commit himself to such a controversial and dangerous album as I have suggested, but I think it would work wonderously.

It is always difficult as an Edith Piaf fan to actually express the importance of her existence. I have once or twice tried to dictate the fellow Mozzers of her beauty, but to no global avail.

I think you kind of explained the second paragraph with the first: Morrissey has 70s punk ingrained too deeply in his soul to step out and really be a torch singer and I'd guess the audience is probably too steeped in the same kinds of music to appreciate him if he did. Morrissey has always seemed like a rock singer with torch tendencies, not a torch singer slumming it with rock bands.

(I am not in any way trying to detract from the excellent Edith Piaf, by the way.)

Morrissey has orchestrated before to great effect.

Angel, angel, down we go together, Dear God please help me etc.
He uses whatever soundscape suits the song.

What do I want from Years of Refusal?

Simply more Genius please, in whatever shape it comes in.

I think you kind of explained the second paragraph with the first: Morrissey has 70s punk ingrained too deeply in his soul to step out and really be a torch singer and I'd guess the audience is probably too steeped in the same kinds of music to appreciate him if he did. Morrissey has always seemed like a rock singer with torch tendencies, not a torch singer slumming it with rock bands.

(I am not in any way trying to detract from the excellent Edith Piaf, by the way.)

No, not at all.
You are absolutely right - but I have always thought of him as a torch singer slumming it with rock bands as you accuratley put it. I suppose this is a fine example of the ability to interpret Moz in any way you wish to do so - he says more about the listener than he does himself.

I think you kind of explained the second paragraph with the first: Morrissey has 70s punk ingrained too deeply in his soul to step out and really be a torch singer and I'd guess the audience is probably too steeped in the same kinds of music to appreciate him if he did.

Yes indeed, but I don't think that that is necessarily a bad thing. We live in a different age, and the soundscape has changed. The music I love most in the world is '20s and '30s jazz - it perfectly expresses how I feel, always. But I'm also a punk down to the ground, and that aggressive, electric sound is as beautiful to me as any string section, and as emotionally resonant as the sweetest clarinet solo.

I think Piaf with guitars is just what the world needs.

I second this motion!

That song stands head and shoulders above the other new songs in my opinion - it sounds like a Morrissey song - not like SISMS or AYNIM, which are almost parodies.

However, as previously mentioned, I expect an album that has more in common with both of the above than MDL.

Still...a song called Action Man from Morrissey...the mind boggles at the opportunity here.

Yes indeed, but I don't think that that is necessarily a bad thing. We live in a different age, and the soundscape has changed. The music I love most in the world is '20s and '30s jazz - it perfectly expresses how I feel, always. But I'm also a punk down to the ground, and that aggressive, electric sound is as beautiful to me as any string section, and as emotionally resonant as the sweetest clarinet solo.

I think Piaf with guitars is just what the world needs.

You are an absolute kindred spirit.

But the last sentance of this post kills me! Ne'er!

Back
Top Bottom