What Moz songs have you shed a tear to?

subway train/everyday is like sunday - i don't really understand why but when i hear or see that performed live there's always a good chance im going to burst into tears

That's a good question! There are so many but it's the Smiths ones that spring to mind as they were played in the dark moments, here's a few of those in no particular order:

That joke isn't funny anymore
I know it's over
Still Ill
Please Please Please, Let me get what I want
This night has opened my eyes
Sing me to sleep

Come Back to Camden and Friday Mourning never fail to set me off. It's kind of interesting that in over 20 years of Morrissey writing some of the most beautiful songs known to mankind, it's only these two, a couple of his most recent compositions, that manage to move me in this way.

guaranteed to make me blub like a baby! Not always, but given the right conditions!

Everyday is like sunday,
Let me kiss you
Asleep
There is a light that never goes out

Wow this really sais alot about you doesnt it?
Late night,Maudlin street
Everyday is like Sunday
I know its over
Jeane
Let me kiss you
I know its gonna happen someday
Accept yourself Dear God please help me-Minus the whole Explosive kegs thing..
Come back to Camden..
Still ill the most though...
Really?That many?
I am a sweetheart..or just very unhappy.

I know It's over
Hand In Glove
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Life Is A Pigsty
And Probably Jack the Ripper once.

mjp said:
Hey - shouldn't you be asleep or something right now?!

Yes, I should have. But I am a Daysleeper.

owl.jpg

Receiving department, 3 a.m.
Staff cuts have socked up the overage
Directives are posted
No callbacks, complaints
Everywhere is calm

Hong Kong is present
Taipei awakes
All talk of circadian rhythm

I see today with a newsprint fray
My night is colored headache grey
Daysleeper, daysleeper, daysleeper

The bull and the bear are marking
Their territories
They're leading the blind with
Their international glories

I'm the screen, the blinding light
I'm the screen, I work at night

Don't wake me with so much
Daysleeper

They cried the other night
I can't even say why
Fluorescent flat caffeine lights
Its furious balancing

I'm the screen, the blinding light
I'm the screen, I work at night

Don't wake me with so much
Don't wake me with so much. The
Ocean machine is set to 9
I'll squeeze into heaven and valentine
My bed is pulling me,
Gravity
Daysleeper, daysleeper
Daysleeper, daysleeper, daysleeper

by R.E.M.

Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Late Night, Maudlin Street
Angel, Angel Down We Go Together
I Know It's Over
Shoptlifters (live, at Manchester–Couldn't believe he was singing that song and I was there!)

...and pleeeeeeeeenty others really:(

The first time I heard I Know It's Over, I was driving in my car on my way to school. I was fairly new to Moz/Smiths, and I had downloaded a slew of songs to get a feel for the music and burned them on a CD. I Know It's Over came on. I listened to it all the way through. After it was done, I listened to it again. About halfway through the song, I almost had to stop the car because I was crying so hard. But yeah, that's my sappy I-cried-along-to-Morrissey story.

I've also gotten misty over Well I Wonder, Everyday is like Sunday, At Amber (???), Ouija Board, There Is A Light (the version on Live at Earls Court), and Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself. Probably others.

All the old classics for this big girls blouse:

I Know It's Over
There Is A Light
How Soon Is Now
Asleep
I Know It's Gunna Happen
Life Is A Pigsty

Dont think ive ever really cried to any of them except IKITO, but the odd tear. Powerful thing is music.

Last edited:
++++++ said:
The first time I heard I Know It's Over, I was driving in my car on my way to school. I was fairly new to Moz/Smiths, and I had downloaded a slew of songs to get a feel for the music and burned them on a CD. I Know It's Over came on. I listened to it all the way through. After it was done, I listened to it again. About halfway through the song, I almost had to stop the car because I was crying so hard. But yeah, that's my sappy I-cried-along-to-Morrissey story.

I've also gotten misty over Well I Wonder, Everyday is like Sunday, At Amber (???), Ouija Board, There Is A Light (the version on Live at Earls Court), and Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself. Probably others.
Nice story :)

I Know It's Over is an impossibly intense song, I really cant listen to it regularly, you cant listen to it in a casual manner as you can with many of his other songs. If you've ever heard, as im sure you have, the version off Rank, it's the most tortured painful vocal Ive ever heard...and still to this day people say he was playing the depression thing up, or unhappiness was somehow part of an image...anyone who ever listened to the anguish in that vocal, or indeed the anguish that still remains when he sings How Soon is Now even these days, will confirm that to be the absolute rubbish it is.

Hmm. Accept yourself, still ill and rusholme ruffians don't really strike me as sad.

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom