What song are you listening to right now?

Vertigo Turkey

Screamers is usually first to be mentioned as far as early 'electropunk' acts go, but to me the far more interesting band is.... NERVOUS GENDER. I must champion this band and give them the credit they never received but greatly deserve, though that goes for most of the artists I love.

play loud surrender your mind....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervous_Gender

M connection? Phranc was in this band for a little while in the beginning.

Hmm I always think of the screamers as one of the early gay punk bands which for a while was kinda Colman and then not so much. Nervous gender sounded nice and kinda made me think of certain brainiac songs

It sounds like a bad parody of Rancid. But I've never really been a fan. They're pretty by the numbers, with no spirit of true danger or rebellion.

It sounds like early rancid to me which is I assume why the logo looks like the
93 logo. I also never looked towards rancid for rebellion or danger myself, I don't really look for that in any music I seek, so I'm not really disappointed by that either. They've to me always just reflected the unity aspect (Tim was in operation ivy so that makes a ton of sense to me) of the culture and were more about youth crews and odd characters that exist in funky places though they do have some overtly political songs here and there. They are however super musically satisfying to me as I like the odd fitting riff and the solos of this song. Musically they're talented and I like the style. My only complaint, and this goes for there last record as well, is that the heavy bottom end is missing from the recordings which is a bummer. I feel it's missing the prominent bass. Tim also is looking rough though he's been looking downhill ever since the divorce. Could just be old and nutty though

Wavves - no shade

This album is shaping up to be great for fans. First time in a while where he doesn't sound toned down

It sounds like early rancid to me which is I assume why the logo looks like the
93 logo. I also never looked towards rancid for rebellion or danger myself, I don't really look for that in any music I seek, so I'm not really disappointed by that either. They've to me always just reflected the unity aspect (Tim was in operation ivy so that makes a ton of sense to me) of the culture and were more about youth crews and odd characters that exist in funky places though they do have some overtly political songs here and there. They are however super musically satisfying to me as I like the odd fitting riff and the solos of this song. Musically they're talented and I like the style. My only complaint, and this goes for there last record as well, is that the heavy bottom end is missing from the recordings which is a bummer. I feel it's missing the prominent bass. Tim also is looking rough though he's been looking downhill ever since the divorce. Could just be old and nutty though
The divorce was hard on all of us.

Screamers is usually first to be mentioned as far as early 'electropunk' acts go, but to me the far more interesting band is.... NERVOUS GENDER. I must champion this band and give them the credit they never received but greatly deserve, though that goes for most of the artists I love.

play loud surrender your mind....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervous_Gender

M connection? Phranc was in this band for a little while in the beginning.

It wouldn't be The Wild Turkey, if I didn't say thanks for championing your favorite music. I'm into learning about music. Nervous Gender is cool. I like some of the songs. Is the distance of interest really that far apart from the Screamers though? That Cardinal Newman video kind of reminded me of a low budget Kenneth Anger film.

Cursive - a gentleman called

I always liked the lyrics to this song. Also the way he sings it

It wouldn't be The Wild Turkey, if I didn't say thanks for championing your favorite music. I'm into learning about music. Nervous Gender is cool. I like some of the songs. Is the distance of interest really that far apart from the Screamers though? That Cardinal Newman video kind of reminded me of a low budget Kenneth Anger film.

I think it's just when I've read about the 'weirdo' punk acts that came out of California at that time, the Screamers always gets mentioned before or over Nervous Gender and I could never understand why, I suppose it has a lot to do with Tomata du Plenty's stage performance which always comes off as a little too cartoonish for what I look for in a front person, guess it just grates against my aesthetics. You did ask ! :D

Now what I did think was the interesting twist in all this is that Tomata du Plenty .....

'Few in L.A.’s original punk scene were aware that Du Plenty’s adroitness at theater came from an earlier time. At the zenith of San Francisco’s Flower Power movement he visited the Haight-Ashbury district of the city in 1968 as a twenty-year-old and became a member of the psychedelic drag queen troupe, The Cockettes. Founded by the transplanted New Yorker George Harris (1949-1982), the ensemble was extremely influential, helping to usher in not just the modern Gay Liberation movement, but Glam Rock as well. In 1969 Du Plenty moved to Seattle, Washington, where he founded a similar street performance group, Ze Whiz Kidz. A rare film clip from 1971 shows Du Plenty and his ensemble (including Melba Toast, who was to become Tommy Gear in the Screamers), performing at Seattle’s University District Street Fair. This direct connection to the underground countercultural movement of the late 1960s cannot be discounted.'

this info came from this blog.. http://art-for-a-change.com/blog/2014/05/who-was-tomata-du-plenty.html

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom