What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

And for fun the rest of the library. This and the other photos I think are very book I own aside from some strays stacked in the closet that I'm waiting to give to my son when he's at the right age

The collections and the couple of graphic novel series I just couldn't give away

The sciences both soft and hard

The music bios and stuff along with A shelf or two of philosophy and some poetry

And finally the misc along with some of my wife's nursing and our photo stuff

Books I`ve started on but lack on concentration had prevented me from finishing

~The Catcher In The Rye
~The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter
~The Alchemist
~On The Road

the alchemist you can finish in an hour. i find paulo coelho to be a really shitty writer, full of trite ideas that he presents as though theyre really profound and original, as though the secret to life is enclosed within the pages of his exceedingly bland books

~The Catcher In The Rye
~The Alchemist
~On The Road

I like a lot of stuff you've listed but think the authors have much better novels you could be reading. On the road is really tedious and thats kinda the point but it gets really boring which is again the point of it. Endless bars and similar experiences repeated over and over can leave you feeling empty at the end of the day. His first novel town and city is phenomenal In a Thomas wolf kinda prose mold and is free of his more jazzy style of writing. It's also his most transparently auto biographical. Salinger is great but read anything else he's done to see this. Catcher is good but to much has been made of it. Try raise high the roof beams. Same with the the heart is a lonely hunter. I liked that novel but I read ballad of the sad cafe and found it an easier more digestible read. A bit weirder as well. Dharma bums is also a beautiful novel and almost a direct continuation of on the road but that'll only make sense once you reach the end of the road.

Johnny Cash's Autobiography, Cash. I heartily recommend it, as someone who abhors all post 70s country music and is currently listening to Wu Tang Clan, to all lovers of music/literature. My favorite songs of his were mostly written by Shel Silverstein so I was somewhat in awe and surprise at his talent as an author.

I like a lot of stuff you've listed but think the authors have much better novels you could be reading. On the road is really tedious and thats kinda the point but it gets really boring which is again the point of it. Endless bars and similar experiences repeated over and over can leave you feeling empty at the end of the day. His first novel town and city is phenomenal In a Thomas wolf kinda prose mold and is free of his more jazzy style of writing. It's also his most transparently auto biographical. Salinger is great but read anything else he's done to see this. Catcher is good but to much has been made of it. Try raise high the roof beams. Same with the the heart is a lonely hunter. I liked that novel but I read ballad of the sad cafe and found it an easier more digestible read. A bit weirder as well. Dharma bums is also a beautiful novel and almost a direct continuation of on the road but that'll only make sense once you reach the end of the road.

Thanks for the suggestions.I will defintely look them up.

the alchemist you can finish in an hour. i find paulo coelho to be a really shitty writer, full of trite ideas that he presents as though theyre really profound and original, as though the secret to life is enclosed within the pages of his exceedingly bland books

Totally agree. Coelho is related to meaningful philosophy like 50 Shades to Story of O.

~The Catcher In The Rye
~The Alchemist
~On The Road

Maybe it's not lack of concentration. Those books are not for you if they don't keep you interested. Sometimes the search takes longer, but always there's one intended for you. Like love :)

Thanks for the suggestions.I will defintely look them up.

No worries. Sometimes it just bugs me that certain novels get attention over better by the same author. Jack's is one that super bugs me me as I think a lot of people miss the point of it and it's not that interesting. Might be relevant to its time and generation but almost every other novel he's written has been better and more interesting than that one from the big Sur to the subterraneans. Just don't get the one he wrote with Burroughs as it's not very good. A curiosity at best. Same with Salinger.

On another note I read. Really interesting review of Moby dick today that to it as an amazing prose poem about whT it's like when the mind narrows to the point where you can't love or desire someone of the saMe sex. Weird but it made me think of moz. It was in this weeks the week which arrived today

I remember taking "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" out of the library ages ago and understanding nothing about it, so giving up reading it. Well, I gave it another chance, with who the protagonist really is explained to me on the jacket :rolleyes:, and well, now it makes perfect sense.

Pretty cool book, available in pdf for anyone interested
(unlike, say, LOTL, which is all about people fostering kittens, in case nobody ever told ya.:brows:)

I hear a lot about that book. Anyway I just finished imperial bedrooms which is such a great novel.,Ellis only got better and better imo as he got older, or i did maybe. Lunar park is still my fav I think with this or glamorizations coming in at a close second but I love all of his work. For sue a writers writer these days. I love how the book is marketed as a sequel to less than zero but is actually is a sequel at all more so one to lunar park as it features the same characters from less than zero which many think is the one novel that might actually be somewhat about Brett himself but starts off with all the characters watching the film version of less than zero talking about how the book wasn't actually the truth making it a "sequel" featuring the same characters but with totally different relationships and pasts than was featured in less than zero in essence making it a sequel to nothing but a new novel in its own right. Funny. I also like how it references all of his past works in sly ways making it feel like a true ending or bookend to this chapter of his work. It's great and has some really neat lines as well like have you ever made promises to a faithless reflection in a mirror or can you locate the moment you went dead inside and the year it took to become that way. Last line is a killer as well in true Ellis fashion. I never liked anyone and I'm afraid of people.

I remember taking "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" out of the library ages ago and understanding nothing about it, so giving up reading it. Well, I gave it another chance, with who the protagonist really is explained to me on the jacket :rolleyes:, and well, now it makes perfect sense.

Pretty cool book, available in pdf for anyone interested
(unlike, say, LOTL, which is all about people fostering kittens, in case nobody ever told ya.:brows:)

I love that book.

I love that book.

;) It's hard not to like it, isn't it? I thought the dad character was a bit hastily done, but really, like a vegan on a cool cake thread, I'm nitpicking.
I also enjoy Brett Easton, in a different style. Less than zero made its big empty impression on me.
Looks like we all have good taste here. :cool:

;) It's hard not to like it, isn't it? I thought the dad character was a bit hastily done, but really, like a vegan on a cool cake thread, I'm nitpicking.
I also enjoy Brett Easton, in a different style. Less than zero made its big empty impression on me.
Looks like we all have good taste here. :cool:

Less than zero is fine but it's kinda dated and simple in a lot of ways though of course I didn't read it in the eighties. As a member of the Internet generation, a generation that grew up seeing all sorts of horrific things daily, it's almost tame. Nothing in it is very shocking imo even for the time but I enjoy the style especially for a first novel and the shocking content isn't really the point. Every thing after psycho though got so much more clever and relevant. The esquire quote from Matt season kinda sums up my opinion when he talks about glamorama, or glamorizations as the auto correct made it above, as he says "he remains a laser precise satirist but the wit now dominates" and that's an element of his work that I really appriciate especially as it hasn't lost any relevancy in meaning or commentary on today's society and morals. I wasnt even close to an adult in the eighties and that era seems like a myth from my childhood as the world, at least here in the u.s, changed so dramatically in my early teens. I was also as far from any hip city life as you could get so that doesn't help either. My childhood home to this day, where my parents still live, has no internet connection despite my mothers pleading with anyone who will listen. Glamorama was super fun and clever, lunar park was to me and possibly to many people my current age extremely poignant (and the first novel of his that I found truly funny though many reviews seem to list black comedy as a descriptor on the front to my confusion as most of those books just seem so sad) while imperial bedrooms is just super clever and I sometimes relate to cold calculating characters. Sometimes I'll pepper my posts with the nonsense he says in the novels hoping that someone will catch it and start a conversation about it but no one contests. Maybe there just being polite and don't wanna offend someone they think is crazy but it's still disappointing. I do a lot of dead pan humor that doesn't translate well in text. Anyway I only need rules of attraction American psycho and the informers in hardback to complete my Ellis collection. Psycho will be the expensive one I'm guessing. I'll probably also at some point get the art or underwriting which looks neat. Anyway laterz

Rereading my delillos novels of which I have seven. Up to white noise at the moment. His books are better the second time around as the first time reading it can defy your expectations a bit

I re-read Bob Colacello's "Holy Terror" about Andy Warhol. It's pretty good. A must for Warhol fans. Then I read Steven Tyler's "Does The Noise In My Head Bother You" which I had found at a 25 cent book sale. It's pretty good but I think you would have to have an interest in Aerosmith. I used to buy their records.
Now I am reading a book I was given, Clive Barker's "The Great And Secret Show." It has kept my interest but I prefer Clive Barker's "Books of Blood." It also seems more like it was designed to be a movie. A lot of it is visually oriented.

White noise done and am now starting libra. I need to buy Mao ll and cosmopolis

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom