What's the big deal with "Not Your Birthday"?

I'm not keen on it. I much prefer You Were Good In Your Time if we're talking about pretty songs on the album. One person on here said they think Birthday is this albums Speedway! These two songs aren't even on the same page! That said, I love the new album. Birthday and THPGU are the only two songs that I skip when playing it.

I don't think it's a rape: "your voice might say 'no' but the heart has a will of its own", so you try to resist but in the end you give in. No need for violance, technically it's not a rape then.

I love it! Listened to it on repeat and fell asleep to it. Best song on the album in my opinion!

About the rape thing, I don't think it is about rape, I think perhaps it's more a passionate, spontaneous thing. He's giving himself to the person, with no special treatment, just him as he is, where he is... on the floor in this case, in that room.

Next to the blandness of Black Cloud and That's How People Grow Up, it's a veritable masterpiece.

On it's own, it's just a brilliant Morrissey song.

You think Black Cloud is bland? THat surprises me, I love it!

I never read rape into it. I think it is a good song made better by the fact that it is on a very weak album.

Everyone loves this song. I think it is the worst song on the album.

I skip it the most and that includes Grow Up and All You Need which are dated.

Is the part about "the love right here right now on the floor" about rape?

"All of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way
To the love I am now giving to you
Right here, right now on the floor"

Or is this him saying he loves the person but the other's don't? If so, then why does he say:

"Did you really think we meant
All those syrupy, sentimental things
That we said?"

Wouldn't that also be a they if the song was the difference between him and them?

The music is just not that good either. Alain's masterpiece is Pigsty. This song isn't even close to that.

So what's so special about this song?

It's not bad, but it just feels like a standard album track to me - there's nothing that really jumps out or interests me. He's dealt with the same theme before, but with greater effect.

Ah, right, I understand that. When I heard it live (Maconie) and didn't understand some of the lyrics, I much preferred it.. I added some of my own lyrics in the stead of ones I couldn't remember/understand!:p But I still like it. In my head it became more like The Collector towards the end before I knew the song!:D

You think Black Cloud is bland? THat surprises me, I love it!

Don't you think if you're going to bring in Jeff Beck you shouldn't castrate his contribution when the guitar part really begins to flourish?

I like the album like I enjoy chinese food: it's great but you're hungry in half an hour.:thumb:

Don't you think if you're going to bring in Jeff Beck you shouldn't castrate his contribution when the guitar part really begins to flourish?

I like the album like I enjoy chinese food: it's great but you're hungry in half an hour.:thumb:

I do agree, Jeff Beck gets one song and is barely recognisable, yes! :)crazy:)

Everyone loves this song. I think it is the worst song on the album.

I skip it the most and that includes Grow Up and All You Need which are dated.

Is the part about "the love right here right now on the floor" about rape?

"All of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way
To the love I am now giving to you
Right here, right now on the floor"

Or is this him saying he loves the person but the other's don't? If so, then why does he say:

"Did you really think we meant
All those syrupy, sentimental things
That we said?"

Wouldn't that also be a they if the song was the difference between him and them?

The music is just not that good either. Alain's masterpiece is Pigsty. This song isn't even close to that.

So what's so special about this song?

I've only listened a couple of times, but, to try to answer your questions..beware, I may change my mind after a few more listens..

At a birthday party people say nice, polite things and play the game of "you are special today" often not really meaning it. It's making a show of affection that may not be heartfelt. The (costly) gifts may be given out of obligation, and though of high financial value, can be meaningless to the recipient, (left gathering dust in a drawer) if the Birthday boy/girl has no great fondness for the giver. In fact, the ability/willingness to receive has more meaning than the object.

As an aside, how many people give Morrissey gifts which may be lovely, but have no meaning to him, because he knows nothing of the giver.

The love alluded to "right here right now" may be cruel, not always kind, not syrupy sentimental, but more heartfelt, real and lasting than the sweet things said before.

He's giving his lover something more, on the floor. What the heart really desires, but cannot always ask for.

So far as the music is concerned, it is quiet behind the description of the false sentiment, but overwhelms when accompanying the genuine emotion and action.

I find it hard to compare, after such short acquaintance, with other older songs. Also impossible to give a definitive answer, which is as it should be.;)

thanks for the interesting posts above. :)

I've only listened a couple of times, but, to try to answer your questions..beware, I may change my mind after a few more listens..

At a birthday party people say nice, polite things and play the game of "you are special today" often not really meaning it. It's making a show of affection that may not be heartfelt. The (costly) gifts may be given out of obligation, and though of high financial value, can be meaningless to the recipient, (left gathering dust in a drawer) if the Birthday boy/girl has no great fondness for the giver. In fact, the ability/willingness to receive has more meaning than the object.

As an aside, how many people give Morrissey gifts which may be lovely, but have no meaning to him, because he knows nothing of the giver.

The love alluded to "right here right now" may be cruel, not always kind, not syrupy sentimental, but more heartfelt, real and lasting than the sweet things said before.

He's giving his lover something more, on the floor. What the heart really desires, but cannot always ask for.

So far as the music is concerned, it is quiet behind the description of the false sentiment, but overwhelms when accompanying the genuine emotion and action.

I find it hard to compare, after such short acquaintance, with other older songs. Also impossible to give a definitive answer, which is as it should be.;)

thanks for the interesting posts above. :)

I thoroughly agree with this!:) Ya done good, Dunya, ya done good!;)

as i've said before (when no one was listening) Not Your Bday sounds like a Smashing Pumpkins song. i don't hate SP, but i'm not exactly a fan either.

same here...i think the song is okay but not at all the earth shattering, mind melting musical masterpiece this thread and the front page poll make it out to be.

sometimes, well, most-no, ALL the time i think i listen to a different Morrissey than everyone else. Carol is clearly the best track on YOR and the best Morrisey-esque lyrics in years. i also really like That's How People Grow Up. i'm in a very small minority it seems :)

Tags
gonna get imaghost=legend raped
Back
Top Bottom