Poll When do you think we will hear news about BOT or WMTWD? Or both?

When?

• Total voters
I was feeling hopeful after the Fox interview where he said Capitol were willing to give the album back, but you'd think by now that there would've been a Central post entitled 'VICTORY' or something like that, stating that Morrissey had got the album back and was either in search of a deal or releasing it himself.
Crucially, they will only 'give' it back if Morrissey returns the advance they paid him for it in the first place. And persuading Morrissey to open his wallet is a pretty tall ask, as the guy is notoriously tight-fisted. Good luck to Capitol on getting their money back on this one.

Maybe he should give both albums away with The Mail On Sunday. A gift of/to music.

Prince did just that, and it made waves.

Every day is like (The Mail On) Sunday

Last edited:
Sometime in the next decade one or both of them will leak. I doubt we'll get any official release while Morrissey is above ground. He's too stubborn to sign to anyone but a major label, and - understandably - none of them will touch him with a bargepole.

He's more hassle than he's worth in terms of sales.

And yet, Warner is about to rerelease BWDeaf. Strange, right?

Maybe he should give both albums away with The Mail On Sunday. A gift of/to music.

Prince did just that, and it made waves.

Every day is like (The Mail On) Sunday

I don't think he would want to "lower himself" to doing that. He likely feels it's below him, and that's why it won't happen.

And yet, Warner is about to rerelease BWDeaf. Strange, right?
To be fair though, that's pretty minimal effort. The album already exists, just reissue it with some new artwork, print and sell a few hundred copies - easy money. Any label intern could do that. Trying to issue a new studio LP, complete with getting Morrissey to comply with some sort of publicity campaign rather than slag off the label in public, getting radio airplay, promo videos, press interest etc - all that's a much more involved and risky prospect with an artist whose previous history of working with labels is shaky at best.

I don't think we will. I doubt he paid the money to get BOT back and I think it's impossible anyone has shown any interest in the other album after the BOT drama.

To be fair though, that's pretty minimal effort. The album already exists, just reissue it with some new artwork, print and sell a few hundred copies - easy money. Any label intern could do that. Trying to issue a new studio LP,
Nah, both albums also already exist.
complete with getting Morrissey to comply with some sort of publicity campaign rather than slag off the label in public, getting radio airplay, promo videos, press interest etc - all that's a much more involved and risky prospect with an artist whose previous history of working with labels is shaky at best.

I agree, and yet, there’s the two shows he’s doing for the Warner rerelease, he seems in someway to be complying.
Which I don’t really understand why, since he’s not on the label. I suspect it’s tied in with a tour anyway(?) don’t know.

I think if he trusted a label would support him, like a budget from the label for a real video, etc.I’m sure he would do his end of the deal.

Anyway, his name doesn’t seem so toxic, if Warner believes it’s worth bothering to release it on vinyl or even at all.

March, April, May
We wait night and day
We haven’t seen each other smile
In a while

Crucially, they will only 'give' it back if Morrissey returns the advance they paid him for it in the first place. And persuading Morrissey to open his wallet is a pretty tall ask, as the guy is notoriously tight-fisted. Good luck to Capitol on getting their money back on this one.
I don't think it's a matter of him being tight-fisted or cheap (though he might be)... there's not much point buying BOT back unless there is a path forward for releasing it (i.e., a record deal). As far as we know there isn't.

Last edited:
To be fair though, that's pretty minimal effort. The album already exists, just reissue it with some new artwork, print and sell a few hundred copies - easy money. Any label intern could do that. Trying to issue a new studio LP, complete with getting Morrissey to comply with some sort of publicity campaign rather than slag off the label in public, getting radio airplay, promo videos, press interest etc - all that's a much more involved and risky prospect with an artist whose previous history of working with labels is shaky at best.
I think that's a good option... although he'd still need to remove Miley's vocals which I can't imagine would be difficult. The issue is that Morrissey still seems to desire the traditional record release process through a major label... even though the past few have not gone well. His records underperform at least to his expectations... he publicly blames the record company for not doing enough for him. He is eventually dropped from the label... then he'll wait around for as long as it takes to start the cycle again.

I think that's a good option... although he'd still need to remove Miley's vocals which I can't imagine would be difficult. The issue is that Morrissey still seems to desire the traditional record release process through a major label... even though the past few have not gone well. His records underperform at least to his expectations... he publicly blames the record company for not doing enough for him. He is eventually dropped from the label... then he'll wait around for as long as it takes to start the cycle again.

Oh well, he'll never learn.... ?

I don't think he would want to "lower himself" to doing that. He likely feels it's below him, and that's why it won't happen.

I agree.

And besides, he's got Grantley Hall invoices coming out of his ears - from his latest duel with 5 star hotel wallpaper (which it would seem, he has won)

Or perhaps Morrissey regards creditors in much the same way as Oscar did :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I don't think the answer to the poll is "Never," but other than that it just seems arbitrary guessing. Since Morrissey has stated that he's not interested in self-releasing, the question at this point is what needs to change for Morrissey to get a record deal (one that he would accept)? It doesn't seem like more of the same will move the needle on this. So, what needs to change?

Are his demands just too high/unrealistic? I don't think he's without a record deal simply because he's too difficult to work with. I think the difficult/problematic reputation factors in... but it's also that the majors just don't think he's worth the investment any longer. How much are the recent concert cancelations hurting his chances with major labels or is that not a factor?

I'm curious what people think must happen for Morrissey to get the deal he wants and move forward? Or is that no longer a possibility?

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't hold my breath in either of these being released.
Morrissey needs to pay money to Capitol to get BOT back.
That in itself is a monumental ask for someone as frugal as Morrissey.

I agree.

And besides, he's got Grantley Hall invoices coming out of his ears - from his latest duel with 5 star hotel wallpaper (which it would seem, he has won)

Or perhaps Morrissey regards creditors in much the same way as Oscar did :ROFLMAO:
😆

Oh Oscar, so much to answer for!

Back
Top Bottom