When YOR is released....

marred

this basically means we don't have any more singles to look forward too from this album. He rarely does more than 4 singles per album so my problem is not that AYMIM and THPGU are ON this album. My problem with these songs is that they leave little room for new single releases so that means no more B sides, videos or sleeves other than paris. At best there will be one more single release to make it 4 but that'd be about it.

Has anyone thought of this yet?

I dont know if that is really certain. Granted the number of yet to be released tracks, and the fact that there are some tracks that are very much single material I'd be willing to bet that Decca would be more than likely to try to maximize their profits off Morrissey. In short I really wouldnt despair yet

Who has released the most singles from one record? It could be The Beatles but it's probably someone like Janet Jackson. Not sure if this is over, but in the 90's pop singers used to have a number of producers on each album and every song was in competition to be a hit single.

Morrissey fans start to complain when too many singles are released usually, and I'm not sure why. I like Marred's way of thinking though. As long as the b-sides are not old Smiths songs played live I think it's fine. (if he's going to do old songs as b-sides it ought to be lesser heard Morrissey songs, in my opinion.)

I almost said something about Sweetie Pie but I know that some people have convinced themselves they like it. ;)

edit:
# Most number ones from one album: Michael Jackson, Bad (5)
# Most top five songs from one album: Janet Jackson, Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (7)
# Most top ten songs from one album: Michael Jackson, Thriller; Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA; Janet Jackson, Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (7 each)

Well Arsenal had 4 singles and 6 videos. Boy were we spoiled on that one. Quarry had 4 singles but poor on the video front but at least we got legitimate B sides and plenty of em. No live Smiths songs which I couldn't care less about. But boy were we spoiled again with Quarry. I listen to those B sides in my itunes playlist as an album more that I listen to Quarry itself. So in actual fact we've already heard the B sides from 2 of YOR's singles and only 2 of them were new but I must say they were awesome songs. My dearest love is one of his best and Children is great too. Yes I think you can tell I am a massive Moz B side fan. My favourite Moz songs are mostly B sides and alas it looks like it will be slim pickens for YOR. The fact that most of us have heard almost half the album via you tube live recordings makes the lack of incoming B sides even more sparse. I'm just adding the math is all but on the other hand if Moz does 4 new singles from YOR then great but it doesn't seem like it's going to be that kind of album does it?

jesus...its like the family royalty with the jacksons isn't it...damn.

also there are the EP's...but i don't know what i'm talking about.

this basically means we don't have any more singles to look forward too from this album. He rarely does more than 4 singles per album so my problem is not that AYMIM and THPGU are ON this album. My problem with these songs is that they leave little room for new single releases so that means no more B sides, videos or sleeves other than paris. At best there will be one more single release to make it 4 but that'd be about it.

Has anyone thought of this yet?

Given the number of unreleased tracks we know that are hanging around from the sessions, I'd be surprised if there weren't at least two more singles after "...Paris", possibly three. I presume he's been stockpiling them for future b-sides.

AYNIM and THPGU should've been dropped from YOR and AYNIM's B sides should've been on YOR. Paris will be released, it won't chart well like most of his latest poorly chosen singles and he will complain about it's chart position. I can see it now

Last edited:
AYNIM and THPGU should've been dropped from YOR and AYNIM's B sides should've been on YOR. Paris will be released, it won't chart well like most of his latest poorly chosen singles and he will complain about it's chart position. I can see it now

There are enough tracks leftover for b-sides to 2/3 singles, I'd say:

"Action Man" (Morrissey, Whyte)
"Teresa, Teresa" (Morrissey, Whyte)
"When I Was Young" (Morrissey, Whyte)
"I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me" (Morrissey, Whyte)
"I'm Looking Forward to Going Back" (Morrissey, Whyte)

Also, there are rumoured to be songs called "Livings" and "The Longer I Live", although they may be one and the same - or not actually exist - or have been renamed.

Also, there are rumoured to be songs called "Livings" and "The Longer I Live", although they may be one and the same - or not actually exist - or have been renamed.

I think one's written by Jesse and the other by Alain or Boz (I can't remember) so I do not know if they're the same.

Last edited:
I'm going to play it on my CD player while lying in bed with my eyes and the door closed.

Well Arsenal had 4 singles and 6 videos. Boy were we spoiled on that one. Quarry had 4 singles but poor on the video front but at least we got legitimate B sides and plenty of em. No live Smiths songs which I couldn't care less about. But boy were we spoiled again with Quarry. I listen to those B sides in my itunes playlist as an album more that I listen to Quarry itself. So in actual fact we've already heard the B sides from 2 of YOR's singles and only 2 of them were new but I must say they were awesome songs. My dearest love is one of his best and Children is great too. Yes I think you can tell I am a massive Moz B side fan. My favourite Moz songs are mostly B sides and alas it looks like it will be slim pickens for YOR. The fact that most of us have heard almost half the album via you tube live recordings makes the lack of incoming B sides even more sparse. I'm just adding the math is all but on the other hand if Moz does 4 new singles from YOR then great but it doesn't seem like it's going to be that kind of album does it?

maybe the quarry had all those b sides because there was no new release for 7 years, hence a back log of new tracks:)

and i don't think all you need is me is scheduled to be on the new album anyway.

maybe the quarry had all those b sides because there was no new release for 7 years, hence a back log of new tracks:)

and i don't think all you need is me is scheduled to be on the new album anyway.

both AYNIM and THPGU are confirmed to be on the album. The reviews state this and that's why I started this thread. Good point about Quarry but Arsenal had same amount of singles and no Moz album to date has had more than 4 singles.

I listen to those B sides in my itunes playlist as an album more that I listen to Quarry itself...My dearest love is one of his best and Children is great too. Yes I think you can tell I am a massive Moz B side fan.

You are not alone on that! I've listened to his recent (2004-2008) B-sides pretty much exclusively for over a week now. And I agree with you that the AYNIM B-sides are fantastic (maybe even UNDER-RATED thus far).

It's annoying how the 2 songs were released on Greatest Hits, then as singles, and NOW on Years of Refusal,

BUT...

I'm hopeful for more than 1 or 2 upcoming singles. Really, with the man's incredible output of late, it would be odd if many B-sides didn't surface. They may just have to find another way to release them, though.

- J

You are not alone on that! I've listened to his recent (2004-2008) B-sides pretty much exclusively for over a week now. And I agree with you that the AYNIM B-sides are fantastic (maybe even UNDER-RATED thus far).

It's annoying how the 2 songs were released on Greatest Hits, then as singles, and NOW on Years of Refusal,

BUT...

I'm hopeful for more than 1 or 2 upcoming singles. Really, with the man's incredible output of late, it would be odd if many B-sides didn't surface. They may just have to find another way to release them, though.

- J

Yeah maybe release some new singles just as singles that aren't on the album like the old days after Kill Uncle came out we got "Pregnant for the last time" and "My love life" and my favorite period of all Bona Drag singles and B sides which was basically Moz's World won't listen. Many people would've bought Greatest hits to have those singles and now they are going to get em again. Gone are the days of the 12 inch Moz single with 3 new B sides on it. Now we have this CD 1, CD 2 plus vinyl only release. It's a bit much really and too much plastic spewing forth. I hark back to the big disc in a paper sleeve :D

Gone are the days of the 12 inch Moz single with 3 new B sides on it. Now we have this CD 1, CD 2 plus vinyl only release.

And worse yet, it appears the I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris single is only being released as a 2-song CD and 2-song 7-inch.

What happened to the other CD or 7-inch ? ? ? ? ? ?

- J

And worse yet, it appears the I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris single is only being released as a 2-song CD and 2-song 7-inch.

What happened to the other CD or 7-inch ? ? ? ? ? ?

- J

I've only heard the Paris song a few times on youtube but it doesn't excite me much. I suppose I'll leave final judgement for when it's released.

When I was in Paris in October this year I too felt like throwing my arms around Paris .........and then strangling it. Beautiful architecture though.

Last edited:
Good point about Quarry but Arsenal had same amount of singles and no Moz album to date has had more than 4 singles.

Your Arsenal only had 3 singles on it. (Tomorrow was a US not official UK release.) Also: We Hate It... was only backed by live tracks; Fatty had 2 b-sides from the sessions; and Certain People had two new tracks hurriedly recorded for it. So as there are 6 or so tracks still unreleased from the Years of Refusal sessions, on the basis of potential b-sides, I think we can safely expect at least 2 singles to follow.

Your Arsenal only had 3 singles on it. (Tomorrow was a US not official UK release.) Also: We Hate It... was only backed by live tracks; Fatty had 2 b-sides from the sessions; and Certain People had two new tracks hurriedly recorded for it. So as there are 6 or so tracks still unreleased from the Years of Refusal sessions, on the basis of potential b-sides, I think we can safely expect at least 2 singles to follow.

Even if Tomorrow was only a US single it was still a single nonetheless with 2 b sides and a video to boot.I don't get why you would use Arsenal as a reference to the possibility that there are at least 2 more singles to come after Paris if you are saying arsenal only had 3 singles. This just reinforces my initial point.

I doubt there are 2 more songs worthy of being singles on YOR but that never stopped Moz recently though has it? Lately it's like he puts the names in a hat and doves in, yay single number 1! Paris is a very dull choice for a single and I predict it will chart badly but I am looking forward to the B sides though! So with AYNIM, THPGU and ITMAAP you think there are at LESAST 2 more to come? That would make half the album singles. Optimistic to say the least.

Last edited:
It's funny this topic really intrigues me...Like beating a dead horse, only more fun.

In my mind, I associate THPGU and AYNIM as being STRONGLY affiliated with Greatest Hits. The B-sides were done as one-offs and I don't consider them YOR session tracks. The other link is that the cover photos of the 2 singles, like that of of GH, feature OLD Morrissey photos-not new.

I think when ITMAAP is released it will likely have artwork in the same vein as YOR and feel more associated with it (B-sides-wise?). So would it be possible for them to start fresh - Paris being single #1 - and release more than 1 more single after it? Just wondering...

- J

Back
Top Bottom