Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are/were a couple or pop singers / entertainers / celebrities. Nothing more. Get a grip, for f_ck's sake.
I do indeed mention the likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, and Morrissey - in the same breath as Rimbaud, Verlaine, Walt Whitman. If you want to call them mere 'celebrities', that is your choice. There's no right and wrong on this one. But I know what makes the world more interesting.

I agree wholeheartedly with him that the majority of the world’s response to Sinead over that years has been awful.

That being said, the hopeful child in me still cries, when I picture all the young kids seeing the sudden outpouring of love (as disengenuous as some of it might be), and discovering her music for the first time because of it.

That’s how she’ll live on. Some of those kid’s lives will be undoubtedly changed as the result of discovering her, just like many of our lives were changed when we first heard her over three decades ago. That’s the mark of artistic genius. It knows no generation. It’s for all generations.

It’s heartbreaking that it takes death for her music to reach new fans, and like I said, I agree with every blistering word Moz wrote… but my heart’s also filled with love for the alienated kid living in a small town, who’s listening to “Three Babies” for the first time and feeling that same deep connection we all felt. Hey there kid! We see you, and we’re glad you joined us.
:barf:

I do indeed mention the likes of Sinéad O'Connor, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, and Morrissey - in the same breath as Rimbaud, Verlaine, Walt Whitman. If you want to call them mere 'celebrities', that is your choice. There's no right and wrong on this one. But I know what makes the world more interesting.
You, and the group to which you belong, are entitled to your delusions. If that's what it takes to make your life feel less unfulfilling, that's entirely your right, and I respect it.

Reading a summary of Sinead.O.'s life The truth is that his life was a mess. 4 marriages q did not last anything with men 4 children with each of those men, she was ordained as a "priestess" of a religion related to Catholicism, she declared herself a lesbian and then said goodbye, addiction problems, suicide attempts, unpleasant fights with one of her children,.. She claimed to be a feminist and later converted to Islam. ???.. How do they treat women in that religion? Mmm.... In short, a psychiatric patient who ended up like so many patients of this type. I don't think he's a figure who has stood out beyond music. He had serious psychiatric problems.
She grew up in a disastrous family environment, how could she not be a psychiatric woman? But what cannot be understood is because in moments of lucidity, because a madman, I mean psychotic patients, are not all the time out of reality, because he had children and more children ... knowing that she was a psychiatric patient and having suffered abuse from a mother who also had psychiatric disorders. He clearly doesn't seem like an example to anyone and I feel sorry for his whole life.

Reading a summary of Sinead.O.'s life The truth is that his life was a mess. 4 marriages q did not last anything with men 4 children with each of those men, she was ordained as a "priestess" of a religion related to Catholicism, she declared herself a lesbian and then said goodbye, addiction problems, suicide attempts, unpleasant fights with one of her children,.. She claimed to be a feminist and later converted to Islam. ???.. How do they treat women in that religion? Mmm.... In short, a psychiatric patient who ended up like so many patients of this type. I don't think he's a figure who has stood out beyond music. He had serious psychiatric problems.
She grew up in a disastrous family environment, how could she not be a psychiatric woman? But what cannot be understood is because in moments of lucidity, because a madman, I mean psychotic patients, are not all the time out of reality, because he had children and more children ... knowing that she was a psychiatric patient and having suffered abuse from a mother who also had psychiatric disorders. He clearly doesn't seem like an example to anyone and I feel sorry for his whole life.
By being a psychiatric man? 🤷‍♂️

Some people here don't care for music, or art, they only care for politics.
Very strange.

Wonder what Sinead thought about Mr Morrissey and his song apparently blaming Muslims for Notre Dame without any evidence at all??

She'd probably have thought what an obnoxious self righteous prick and he can stick his sympathy up his arse.

This letter is an own goal. Among people who are not fans of Mr Morrissey it seems to be seem as a pathetic gesture and another example of him making other people's tragedies about himself in an embarrassingly self awareness lacking manner.

Cucaracha.

Sinead O'Conner and Moz have an awful lot in common. Both have struggled very publicly with mental illness. The difference being that Moz apparently doesn't know he's on tilt. Let's keep him goofy and not tell him.

Sinead stood up to the Catholic church. Moz stood up to... Johnny Marr. Oh yeah, and the meat industry. I have to admit that's a pretty big one. Kudos Moz!
The difference between the two is the mother, Moz had a balanced mother who gave him the proper education and containment he needed to deal with his mental problems and sufferings, so Moz is not a drug addict and is not abandoned. I'm sure Moz's mother was very stimulating for him despite having depressive episodes, he never let himself fall, he always got up despite everything. And she continues to do so, I imagine Moz's mother as a woman with a lot of spirit and true love for her children

Sinéad O’Connor deserved better than the music industry

- Julie Burchill

'Morrissey summed it up well, as he does all sad things from thwarted love to terrorist massacres:

...Morrissey being Morrissey, there’s a lot of purple puff in the missive (‘Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday?’) and also Moz being Moz, some of it’s about himself (‘There is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t “fit in” – this I know only too well’.) But he’s speaking a lot of scathing sense, especially regarding the way female pop stars are still treated very different from males.'

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/sinead-oconner-deserved-better-than-the-music-industry/

It is bizarre. Moz makes a plea for artists to be treated with respect and not vilified when they are alive - and on a fansite he receives a load of totally venomous bile and bilge in response. Some irony there I think.
gash the most bizarre thing of all is a fan site dedicated to a singer is infected by haters,if i hated someone or something it would not take up a minute of my time.

gash the most bizarre thing of all is a fan site dedicated to a singer is infected by haters,if i hated someone or something it would not take up a minute of my time.

The haters that come on to solo to criticize Morrissey must be narcissists, if we’re to go by this definition of what one is ….

‘narcissists use other people as props — a trivialisation of external personhood in order to validate and three-dimensionalise their own agendas.’

And such people are experts on various mental deficiencies they spot in others….

Sinead did not need Morrissey to man'splain from his point of view on her behalf then twist her obit into being about him and his ego. He has alienated some of his very own fans and while he loves to blame it on the press I think the reason isn't because of what the press is saying it is because of HIM and his other actions/behaviors. I think people know to be objective like that they are not all stupid. People know some of the press is inflated but time and again he has behaved in a very childish manner then tries to play victim then trap the people who think they are "Real fans" into thinking they need to constantly defend his behavior. One gets tired of having to feel like an apologist on his behalf. He is a grown ass man. He needs to figure it out. He's had years of experience and loads more opportunity than many people one would think he would have learned a lesson by now but no he is outright embarrassing. He is like an energy vampire creating this negative drain for his fans and only cares about the ones who sing his praises the loudest or who kiss his arse. If people are enjoying the music they shouldn't have to exhaust themselves with his childish need for attention and outright narcissism. It's not those headlines that are driving people away. He needs to take a long hard look at how he treats people. Canceled shows never rescheduled and you expect loyalty from people you burn who buy your tickets?? UH UH BRUH you are are done Why would someone waste their time anymore? Then the remark about being fat, etc. This guy has been active and public for how long now in the recent past? It is plain as day he is insecure about his lost youth or he would not keep regurgitating the same old crap there are plenty of nice newer live /recent photos of himself but he is obsessed with his lost youth. He has aged but continues to use old photos to promote his concert and create new merchandise which grows tiresome. People look to artists for newness and to progress not forever be locked in time in one place. There are plenty of opportunities and also lots of photos people have taken of him that he could be updating this stuff but obviously he feels insecure about himself. Sinead never came off as being narcissistic and obsessed with her appearance. The last video they keep showing of her she was apologizing for having vaseline on her face and she seemed very down to earth.

Sorry, Lujan, but that all sounds terribly judgmental. Whose life isn't a mess when you really examine it up close? We all survive and get by if we can. And there is some research showing a link between mental health problems and creativity. That's not to suggest that mental health problems are somehow a good thing. But turning adversity into hope is the essence of what makes us human.

So angry. In many ways he is right - she was mocked and humiliated by the media and this 'legend' stuff is pap - but Sinead's problems were intensely personal and went far beyond being dropped by a record label. Sometimes it's like Moz is so tunnel-visioned, he can't help but insert his own situation into these rants. Sinead suffered and lost a son to suicide just last year, I think she had far greater concerns than record labels, Moz.
This is how I read it as well

Apologies if this has been posted already (can't see it here) but Julie Burchill's Spectator column is worth a read:

It started with That Song on the World Service in the early hours, the one I’ve always loathed; for me it symbolises the start of the state we’re in now whereby perfectly good toe-tappers are routinely strung out in slo-mo by interpreters for whom misery passes as creativity.

OK, the Prince original wasn’t exactly a laugh a minute, but it wasn’t anywhere near as dragged out as the Sinéad O’Connor cover. So when I heard that the singer had died at the age of 56, my first thought was, selfishly ‘Oh no – they’ll be playing That Song all day!’ The second was ‘The tearleaders will have a field day with this one…’

Sure enough, over on social media what my husband calls the ‘tearleaders’, metaphorical ambulance chasers competitively mourning dead celebrities, were already up and at ‘em before sunrise. I remember some time back after Howard Marks’ death at 70 (that’s 70 – not 7, or 17) I once saw someone on Facebook wail that ‘the slaughter of a generation’ was taking place, because David Bowie, Ronnie Corbett, and that fat bird who designs big buildings also shuffled off this mortal coil in the same year. When the great writer E.R Braithwaite died peacefully at a whopping 104 years young, I couldn’t help posting, ‘Taken too soon – I hate you, 2016!’

Here came the clichés: ‘Troubled Sinéad’, ‘Nothing Compared To You’ and our old buddy ‘She Never Got Over X’. The most presumptuous tearleading hinged on the sad fact that her teenage son committed suicide, with one clown on the radio explaining that the tears we see on her face in the famous video are the result of this – which would herald a breakthrough in time travel as it was recorded before the poor boy was born.

The Guardian even had Seamus Heaney (died 2013) tweeting from the afterlife: ‘A great Irish poet and singer left us today. She was beautiful, courageous and wore her heart on her sleeve.’

Those with power in the music business had written her off as barking mad years ago; it’s an easy mistake to make about someone who rejects Catholicism for its treatment of women and then converts to Islam. But nevertheless her treatment by the industry was shameful.

Morrissey summed it up well, as he does all sad things from thwarted love to terrorist massacres:

She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinéad today with the usual moronic labels of ‘icon’ and ‘legend’. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold…and they would call Sinéad sad, fat, shocking, insane…oh, but not today!
Music CEOs who refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a ‘feminist icon’ when it was YOU who talked Sinéad into giving up. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself.

Morrissey being Morrissey, there’s a lot of purple puff in the missive (‘Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday?’) and also Moz being Moz, some of it’s about himself (‘There is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t “fit in” – this I know only too well’.) But he’s speaking a lot of scathing sense, especially regarding the way female pop stars are still treated very different from males.

O’Connor’s death came a few days after Mick Jagger’s 80th birthday and the amount of swill celebrating this wizened old chancer in both regular and social media was sickening to see. It’s very hard to imagine an 80-year-old female singer being hailed as an enduring symbol of sex and rebellion as they tend to be written off as over the hill by 30.

The way the music industry treats women was summed well by Marianne Faithfull: ‘Aren’t I pretty – please buy me!’ When #MeToo happened, I remember thinking, ‘Will the music business will have one? That’ll take a long time!’

As it turned out the task proved too daunting to attempt, and there was only one #MeToo moment, albeit one which continued for several years. The singer Ke$ha brought lawsuits against her former producer Dr Luke in which she accused him of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse and employment discrimination against her.

‘Rock Against Sexism’ was founded in 1978, just two years after ‘Rock Against Racism’, but it was striking how less stellar the endorsements were. Most musicians would have thought sexism was some sort of new kinky thrill, or merely inquired in a baffled manner a la Spinal Tap’s Nigel ‘But…what’s wrong with being sexy?’

This is a business in which a no-talent DJ like Tim Westwood is protected and lionised and Taylor Swift is groped by a no-mark DJ even after she was famous. It’s the difference between how the industry treated Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears, the way Harry Styles has been anointed ‘King Of Pop’ by Rolling Stone after starting out on a TV talent show while Girls Aloud – one of the most exciting and innovative groups of all times – never even had their music promoted in America.

A woman who looked like Sam Smith could not be a pop star; women in music are valued for their looks as much as actresses are. But while it could be argued that beauty is important in film stars as that they are there primarily to be looked at, with singers it shouldn’t matter as much as it does.

O’Connor was allowed to be ‘eccentric’ for as long as she was young and beautiful; her crime was to age and not grow out of her rebel ways. She wouldn’t have a homely make-over the way other pretty pop stars like Kim Wilde did. She continued to be outspoken, but what was considered exciting in a young woman was considered crazy in a middle-aged one.

When she wrote an open letter to the sexed-up young Miley Cyrus, who claimed to have based her persona on O’Connor (‘Nothing but harm will come in the long run from allowing yourself to be exploited…it is absolutely NOT in ANY way an empowerment of yourself or any other young women, for you to send across the message that you are to be valued (even by you) more for your sexual appeal than your obvious talent…the music business doesn’t give a **** about you, or any of us.’) she was mocked for being envious and irrelevant, mocked for growing old in an industry where women are only allowed to be opinionated when young and cute, their stroppiness emasculated into being ‘provocative’.

But now she’s safely dead – and the police report that there are ‘no suspicious circumstances’ to prick the consciences of those who shunned her – the canonisation is underway: Saint Sinéad of the Sorrows. It’s not just the music business who have done an about-face and tried to bury their bad treatment of her.

In 1992, she tore up a photograph of the Pope on American television to protest against the systemic child abuse of the Irish state. A year later, unmarked graves of 155 women were uncovered in the convent grounds of one of the notorious Magdalene Laundries, where the state sent ‘fallen women.’

A week after she did it, Saturday Night Live host Joe Pesci showed the same torn photo taped back together, saying ‘She’s lucky it wasn’t my show, because if it was my show, I would have given her such a smack.’ He received massive applause; she was soon condemned by the Anti-Defamation League, booed at a Bob Dylan tribute concert, and ridiculed by numerous entertainers on SNL sketches for months afterwards.

Yet now Ireland stands as the most self-righteous among nations, reborn with a new church of transubstantiation, and groovy gay Taoiseach Varadkar can sob, ‘Her music was loved around the world and her talent was unmatched and beyond compare…rest her soul.’

I still can’t stand That Song. But this bright, talented and unusual woman deserved a whole lot better from an industry – and indeed a nation – which is now competing to see who can ululate the loudest over her sad and premature death.

Love,Peace and Harmony.
I have never bought or owned any record of Sinead's. Yet,her life made my heart bleed.
It's called Empathy.
We all have our cross to bear.
Aren't obituaries a last chance to speak openly and honestly about what a person meant to you.
You, as an individual.
Morrissey said nothing wrong.I say this knowing what I say means absolutely nothing to him. What Morrissey says means absolutely everything to him. As it should. He has no fear.Nor should he. We have freedom of speech. Morrissey expressed his thoughts and feelings. If we weren't allowed to mention ourselves in an obituary there would be nothing to say.
Especially if you have a connection with the very soul who has died.
Solidarity makes a person stronger. Morrissey can only grow in strength and I admire his belief in his actions and words.
Didn't Sinead sing backing vocals on his songs? I may be wrong. Would have to Google it.
I only hope that Sinead is able to see how her death made the world darker place without her in it. Especially to her family and loved ones. She had 2 Grandchildren. She was a Grandmother. I applaud you Sinead. Do us a favour though.....if you see God,rage, rage and rage some more.
Solidarity
Empathy and
Power to the people.
Always.

Back
Top Bottom