belle and sebastian at the Back Yard

S

suzanne

after i had played them a little of one of their albums, someone told me that belle and sebastian sounded like "good hangover music."

true. these people don't shock your nerves and urge you to turn it up to 11 as much as enticing you to imagine yourself floating away on the backs of butterflies and sliding down the rainbow and landing on a bed of ibuprofen.

since it was sunday and the last night of halloween weekend festivities, at no other time has their services been of need. we've been partying all weekend, and now, its time for someone to sing us a lullabye.

first, we were treated to a local band named Spoon. I didn't know much about them except they've had a tumultuous career of almost being famous, but as i watched this lead singer who bears a slight resemblance to Robert Redford twitch around, i realize who he thought he was:

and that person is Elvis Costello.

sure, he wasn't wearing the Buddy Holly glasses, but that's done to fool people into believing he came up with it himself. although the keyboards and his vocal stylings completely give it away.

thankfully, they left to get onto the good stuff.

the band hit the stage with an oldie from Tigermilk named "Expectations" which was a bit odd, but met with a good level of approval.

And after that point, that's when they played the first of the new tracks.

If i may be so bold, they sound pretty similar live as they do on the album. part of the reason is that they had about 4 extra violinists in the background. sure, they had beefed it up last time they came through with 3 extras, but i assumed it was to fill the gap that Isobel left when she split.

The harmonies were very tight and the sound was very full.....

...however, there is something to be said for those songs that the violinists left and it was just the band playing the old songs. i'm not moaning how its not like the old days, but it makes you realize that there is more gone than just the fly by night operation which was the band. the lyrics have grown with more of a direct edge, stuart has grown beyond writing songs about girls who sleep all day and dogs on wheels. after singing "you don't send me" he actually went on tandem discussing how that song represents what happens when relationships slowly and painfully die instead of ending quickly. this is a guy who needs a whiskey bottle and a 10 gallon hat at any second as that's just how close he is to it.

there were long, painful pauses between songs. at least that hasn't gone away. there aren't 10 guitars tuned up and waiting in the wings, but the strange thing is that there is a lot of scurrying around, but i can't figure out what it accomplishes. maybe they like having a chinese fire drill in between every song. sometimes, they knew how to fill those gaps with funnies, but at one point he said, "you are a very polite audience for a saturday night!"

and we all screamed "its sunday!"

and he seemed to understand....but we weren't completely partied out because we were very slow to warm up. and at the end of their set, enthusiasm was building on all sides and we soon forgot that it had been rainy and muggy all day and that some of us had been drinking non-stop since 6PM on friday. most of Catastrophe Waitress was played, lots of the old stuff, and nothing apparently from Storytelling. Stuart has seemed to retire a bit from being a guitarist, and is up for handling the mic solely as the lead singer, and steve jackson is singing almost as much in every song. Sarah is now having to fill the shoes of Isobel and is mostly successful, even if she doesn't know what to do with herself for half of the songs.

all in all, a nice evening out, but i can't sign off this review without giving kudos to the Backyard for actually putting in real toilets instead of the wall of porta-potties. it took them long enough, especially considering that venue had been in operation for 10 years and god knows that trying to go in a completely dark cubicle and avoid where some guy urinated all over the seat is not a joyous memory to add to your night out.

and also, a smack on the head idiot award to the people who successfully snuck a camera in...and proceded to take flash pictures with it which drew the attention of security. here's a bit of advice: if you are standing about 40 feet away from the stage, that flash isn't going to do you any good anyway, so don't needlessly give yourself away.

Thanks, Suzanne - you've whet my appetite - I'll bee seing them in Noo Yawk next Tuesday *sighs at realisation of lifelong dream* !

Wow,someone else who knows how to write book reports.....this was a major yawn...next time...save us the trouble and just say that you liked it ok?????I trhink Im going to fall asleep now.

as a brand new B&S fan (D.C. Waitress), this post says nothing to me about my life

> after i had played them a little of one of their albums, someone told me
> that belle and sebastian sounded like "good hangover music."

Thanks Suzanne.. Nice objective review. But reaffirms my experiences with B&S live.. 'Better listened to at home on the Cd than going for the live experience'.. It doesn't maker you walk away from a gig thinking anything different about them at all, so whats the point in shelling out 20 quid? Indeed, after the gig at Brixton.. maybe I had less time for this lot of whimsical tunesters. And I must say, I speak objectively, coz I downloaded a random slelection from Catastrophe Waitress.. and to me, the songs are nowhere consistent or as good as 'Arab Strap', or 'Fold Your Hands'.

Good hangover music? yes.. But they can drive you to the bar for some excitement in causing you to get a hangover in the first place.

Keep 'partying hard' though (although it's the opposite end of the Andrew WK spectrum, and I know where I'd rather be live!)

Ruffian

> Wow,someone else who knows how to write book reports.....this was a major
> yawn...next time...save us the trouble and just say that you liked it
> ok?????I trhink Im going to fall asleep now.

You would have slept if you'd been there!
Ruff

> Thanks Suzanne.. Nice objective review. But reaffirms my experiences with
> B&S live.. 'Better listened to at home on the Cd than going for the live
> experience'.. It doesn't maker you walk away from a gig thinking anything
> different about them at all, so whats the point in shelling out 20 quid?

it wasn't like they weren't trying. they were. i thinks its the nature of the music because it wouldn't be believable if stuart ripped off his shirt and started flailing about to "the boy done wrong again"

its nice having a communal experience with about 3,000 other people who can sing along, and believe it or not, a good many of us knew about every song from every album and E.P. they've produced.

and i wonder where these people are hiding in daily life because i don't know them. i can't get anyone i know to listen to a b&s CD if their life depended on it, and yet, there are obviously good enough if i'm not the only one out there.

> Indeed, after the gig at Brixton.. maybe I had less time for this lot of
> whimsical tunesters. And I must say, I speak objectively, coz I downloaded
> a random slelection from Catastrophe Waitress.. and to me, the songs are
> nowhere consistent or as good as 'Arab Strap', or 'Fold Your Hands'.

maybe, but there are some gems in the bunch.

> it wasn't like they weren't trying. they were. i thinks its the nature of
> the music because it wouldn't be believable if stuart ripped off his shirt
> and started flailing about to "the boy done wrong again"

I'd like to see it though!! 'Beat the clock'.. wasn't that a track of their's ? would be great with a bit of enjoyment!

> its nice having a communal experience with about 3,000 other people who
> can sing along, and believe it or not, a good many of us knew about every
> song from every album and E.P. they've produced.

Of course.. if you like communal type stuff.. You should be a bloke, you could commune with stu himself at the urinal if you were lucky! I prefer people all getting excited in one room... and where do they go? who knows! maybe they're musical apparitions.

> maybe, but there are some gems in the bunch.

Well thanks for being balanced on my differing point of viw.. and not 'going into one' big style.. But the album is not as good as people (here) say... a couple of the tracks were good though, 'Wrapped up in books' was the best.

Check out the London band 'Spearmint' if you like quirky lyrics ! Download 'Start Again' if you can.. wonderful..

Ruffian

> I'd like to see it though!! 'Beat the clock'.. wasn't that a track of
> their's ? would be great with a bit of enjoyment!

thrashing about to "you made me forget my dreams" would have been welcome, but it was missing.

it was funny when they started playing the slow and introspective songs because the crowd was singing along, but in a hushed tone. it was almost like everyone was leaning in and conferring something very serious in a huddle.

> Of course.. if you like communal type stuff.. You should be a bloke, you
> could commune with stu himself at the urinal if you were lucky!

theoretically, i could have shown up at Emo's last night after the show because Chris and another guy from the band were dj'ing until 2am (when the doors closed) and i'm sure other band members would have gone because on stage, they made it sound like they like going to the bars afterwards and having people who were extras in Dazed and Confused come up and share their life stories, but i was wimpy about it and didn't do it because i didn't want to end the evening with a re-enactment of "how soon is now?"

that, and i'm sure there would have been 800 people there trying to fight for their attention.

and i wouldn't have to be a "bloke" because stuart also dropped a big old hint that he's now single and lonely!

>I prefer
> people all getting excited in one room... and where do they go? who knows!
> maybe they're musical apparitions.

that's what i'm thinking. you'd think that even at the place where i work that it would attract some of that crowd, but no, i've got people who still discuss "Diamond Dave"

> Well thanks for being balanced on my differing point of viw.. and not
> 'going into one' big style.. But the album is not as good as people (here)
> say... a couple of the tracks were good though, 'Wrapped up in books' was
> the best.

i zip around that album and seem to like "you don't send me" the best at this moment....but that always changes, i'm sure. its having a hard time competing with Rufus at this moment, but neither of those two albums has absolutely seized my imagination...and probably because i'm thinking about it too much.

> Check out the London band 'Spearmint' if you like quirky lyrics ! Download
> 'Start Again' if you can.. wonderful..

actually, i'm not that big of a lyrics person (yes, irony considering i'm a morrissey geek), but sometimes a phrase or two manages to creep in despite it all.

Re: Hey Suzanne!!

Was there an intricate network of air-conditioning ducts at the venue?

> Was there an intricate network of air-conditioning ducts at the venue?

we were outside, so there were loads of tree branches....

> we were outside, so there were loads of tree branches....

Oh well, that's not so bad then.
It's amazing how interesting trees can become during a b&s gig. Fascinating things. The trunk, branches(as you say), leaves etc.
It's at times like that you ponder on the magnificence of Mother Nature. It's a beautiful world.

> Oh well, that's not so bad then.
> It's amazing how interesting trees can become during a b&s gig.
> Fascinating things. The trunk, branches(as you say), leaves etc.
> It's at times like that you ponder on the magnificence of Mother Nature.
> It's a beautiful world.

and you know what? if b&s came back to town, i'd STILL go and see them!

they weren't that bad! really, i think everyone here is spoiled to the theatrics of morrissey, but give these guys a break! they're scottish! that's the best they can do!

Re: Bands that play with interesting stage adornmentsts..

> Oh well, that's not so bad then.
> It's amazing how interesting trees can become during a b&s gig.
> Fascinating things. The trunk, branches(as you say), leaves etc.
> It's at times like that you ponder on the magnificence of Mother Nature.
> It's a beautiful world.

If mother nature is your thing, and you want Tree's and hedges on stage at gigs.. two tips.. Grandaddy used to do their stage up a treat.. and were brilliant behind the foliage at LA2 (now Meanfiddler) where the view is bad enough as it is.. even if you are over 6ft tall (as I be)
Spearmint play with topiary as well, and, get this.. gently pipe the aroma of Spearmint into the crowd.. for full effect.. I can't recommend their albums enough. And they did a track called Scottish Pop celebrating people like edwyn Collins and a bunch of other Jock indie celebs.

Ruffian

Re: Bands that play with interesting stage adornmentsts..

> If mother nature is your thing, and you want Tree's and hedges on stage at
> gigs.. two tips..

well, no, I don't really, Ruff. I'm a healthy indoor type.

Grandaddy used to do their stage up a treat.. and were
> brilliant behind the foliage at LA2 (now Meanfiddler) where the view is
> bad enough as it is.. even if you are over 6ft tall (as I be)
> Spearmint play with topiary as well, and, get this.. gently pipe the aroma
> of Spearmint into the crowd.. for full effect.. I can't recommend their
> albums enough. And they did a track called Scottish Pop celebrating people
> like edwyn Collins and a bunch of other Jock indie celebs.

> Ruffian

> and you know what? if b&s came back to town, i'd STILL go and see them!

Quite right, Suze. Good to see you sticking to your guns.
Just having a laugh, as you know.

> they weren't that bad! really, i think everyone here is spoiled to the
> theatrics of morrissey, but give these guys a break! they're scottish!
> that's the best they can do!

And it's nice to see me dissing their live show. They're from my home town, which shows I'm not biased.

Aye....great to see some honesty and integrity from both sides of the discussion.

Cheers Suze.

Back
Top Bottom