Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
In an alternate universe: Imagine John Lennon writing an open letter to Paul McCartney demanding that he not mention his name in interviews. Then John complains he's being canceled when Paul complies with his wishes. That never happened, but something like it did, didn't it?

Has Morrissey ever said he is gay? He defines himself as humasexual, doesn’t he?
Nerak also refers to him as “queer” all the time, which I would argue is, at best, inappropriate.
IMG_9588.jpeg

In an alternate universe: Imagine John Lennon writing an open letter to Paul McCartney demanding that he not mention his name in interviews. Then John complains he's being canceled when Paul complies with his wishes. That never happened, but something like it did, didn't it?

Indeed, Morrissey cannot stand that Johnny is getting all the attention. Johnny has done probably a hundred print interviews, tv appearances, podcasts and book talks in recent months. The Smiths are talked about a lot, but oddly Morrissey is almost never mentioned - because he told Johnny NOT to mention him. Morrissey is a deeply silly man.

The thing that put him over the top was probably the just announced BBC 2 Piano Bar appearance Johnny is doing with the orchestra next month. You know Morrissey is thinking "That should have been ME!" And it definitely could have been, if only he'd put in the work.

Indeed, Morrissey cannot stand that Johnny is getting all the attention. Johnny has done probably a hundred print interviews, tv appearances, podcasts and book talks in recent months. The Smiths are talked about a lot, but oddly Morrissey is almost never mentioned - because he told Johnny NOT to mention him.

It's a sterling example of "be careful what you wish for."

Indeed, Morrissey cannot stand that Johnny is getting all the attention. Johnny has done probably a hundred print interviews, tv appearances, podcasts and book talks in recent months. The Smiths are talked about a lot, but oddly Morrissey is almost never mentioned - because he told Johnny NOT to mention him. Morrissey is a deeply silly man.

The thing that put him over the top was probably the just announced BBC 2 Piano Bar appearance Johnny is doing with the orchestra next month. You know Morrissey is thinking "That should have been ME!" And it definitely could have been, if only he'd put in the work.
Your ex-band mates hate it when you're successful?

It doesn't really matter to know what's exactly prompted his message. He knows, and that's enough for me.

Congratulations, you just described how fascism works.

“It doesn’t matter what’s really going on, I will follow our Great Leader anyway!”

You are an idiot.

Yeah, wondered about that too. If the meeting indeed was with Andy and Johnny he once again tries to erase the other band members, as also in "The meeting, of course was Morrissey and Marr" (not "me and Johnny". He often used "Morrissey and Marr" in third person to describe who was part of the Smiths in his opinion and who was not). That leaves an absolute bad taste in regard to the recent passing of Andy and his rightly celebrated part in The Smiths and if anything, it will drive Johnny further away. What a mess, again.
Yes, it's the passing of Andy and Morrissey's decision to make an issue of this now that really makes it so unpalatable. The story has been out there, Johnny has told it, other people have told it, I am not aware of any dispute of the facts until now. No one even knows what he is talking about ie the source of this. It is true that he has always tried to downplay the importance of the other members, see lawsuit, but this is just crass and disgusting to specifically target Andy and try to rewrite history and put himself in Andy's place. It's ghoulish and we know he's lying. If he wonders why his fans are canceling him it's because we are tired of stunts like this. I think he is honestly jealous of the outpouring of love that Andy got after his death and the close, lifelong friendship of Johnny and Andy. I hope Johnny does not take the bait, but I do wonder if interviewers will start asking him about it.

'Cept he knows like some others that Johnny should be living crawled under a rock.

That's the end of it, surely? But if Geoff met Morrissey the very next day, well - it's an easy mistake to make after 40 years, Moz just got it wrong. The fact that he is dredging up things like this with no obvious 'prompt' is strange, it makes him look fixated and cripplingly insecure.

What Morrissey's basically saying here is:

I need advice
I need advice
Nobody ever looks at me twice

It's like his life has almost gone full circle.

Just looking at the most recent media article on The Smiths that I actually paid for, MOJO's October 2023 issue celebrating the 40th anniversary, the main article does imply that Marr was responsible for getting Rough Trade involved: 'Marr had boldly travelled to London and hustled a deal for a single from the indie label's boss, Geoff Travis'. However, the article overall definitely stresses Morrissey's importance to the band, right from the opening paragraph e.g. 'The date this vision hits the eyeballs of the nation is November 4, 1983. The striking individual is Steven Patrick Morrissey and the band is The Smiths'.

Congratulations, you just described how fascism works.

“It doesn’t matter what’s really going on, I will follow our Great Leader anyway!”

You are an idiot.

Gaylord dear, I'm not going to defend or explain myself to you. No use. Waste of time.

Have a nice weekend!;)

Sounds hurtful. Viva hate, is that it? But it's a thin line. It really is.

I love you, but you are already me, carrying the burden of my unrepaired past, my deprivation and my destructiveness. And I am doubtless that for you, taking the brunt of punishment for what you never received; we are for one another already faulty substitutions for irreversible pasts, neither one of us ever really getting past the desire to repair what cannot be repaired. And yet here we are, hopefully sharing a decent glass of wine [let us dream]. “Life, as we find it,” Freud tells us in Civilization and Its Discontents, “is too hard for us.” This explains the need for various forms of narcosis (including, of course, art)...

from The Force of Non-Violence by Judith Butler, who says even the most loving relationships contain some hatred, . While the lazy just hate, child-like hope can help cope with these primal forces. Or something like that.

Epicurus has come into my mind repeatedly in recent weeks. One of his suggestions was to, in effect, 'stop watching the news' and live a quiet life of delights, friendships and reflections. He wasn't quite a household name in his lifetime, 2000 years or so ago, but what he did accomplish, in designing a distinct practical philosophy, has been increasingly cherished to this day.

Nobody can realistically deny what Morrissey has achieved. He commented on this himself during Dave Fanning's excellent 2002 radio interview with him:

-> DF: It’s the obvious thing that people have this phrase, a lot of British journalists have of “Being Morrissey”, where you can get a wry little sentence out that sort of dismisses any question that might have to go into too much detail or whatever…is that a defensive mechanism, or does it exist at all?

M: Well, I think it’s…I think it defines a certain type of sort of…supposedly willowy, but ummm….feisty character, I think. So it simply defines a type. I think…maybe not.

DF: Well, it’s not for you to have to worry about, I suppose..

M: It’s not for me to worry about, because…I am Morrissey.

DF: Exactly. Your music has been judged a lot more than a lot of other people’s music down through the years because… it just meant so much to so many people.

M: Yes, yes.

DF: Are you okay with that?

M: Well…..it annoys me sometimes because so many people in music just seem to get away with so much and so many artists who I think are absolutely dreadful are very leniently dealt with and…I never am, of course. People seem to take a very severe line and so…I just see so many people slipping through the net with just dreadful songs and dreadful presentation and…they go on to be multi-platinum and applauded and so forth and…it does irk me sometimes. But there’s nobody else I’d rather be…I don’t think “Well, I wish I was that person”. I don’t think anybody has the perfect career…everybody has great gaping holes in what they do.<-

Another interesting exchange there:

->DF: Do you think it’s better that artists remain aloof and give off the vibe of being superior? I’ve often thought that you’ve looked up to people like that, right down through your career.

M: Well, I don’t know how many people can really do that, because if you play the fame game then you just have to dive in and you have to be orchestrated somehow and if you don’t- if you’re uncontrollable- then people say you’re a problem. And if people can’t get one over on you, they say you’re a problem and you’re awkward. But it just means that they don’t really get away with anything where you’re concerned, so then they say you’re really difficult. But as far as I can see, most people do tow the line. I can’t really see anybody in pop music who’s rebellious. And certainly, when groups and artists have a certain footing and a large audience, they’re somewhat trapped. (Pause) God knows why…

DF: But when you were that teen person I was talking about, compared to now and nobody ever believes that life goes as fast as it does - it goes so slow, I suppose, in your teen years, compared to your 20’s, 30’s or 40’s - are you ok with that?

M: I feel fine, I mean..the older I get, the happier I feel and the prospect of a shock of grey hair, I think, is really quite nice..<-

- https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/dave-fanning-interviews-morrissey-the-transcript.14327/

Hopefully negative reactions still don't bother him much, and he can observe with a healthy shot of detachment.

“The information age is actually a media age. We have war by media; censorship by media; demonology by media; retribution by media; diversion by media — a surreal assembly line of obedient clichés and false assumptions.” - John Pilger, 2014

That was 10 years ago. Things haven't improved. Fighting cancellation isn't easy, as people like Graham Linehan are discovering. The control of the info net is being fine-tuned, with shadow-banning, memory-holing, and God knows, but how long can it go on for? Certainly people are falling for it and going along with sides, for an easy life or personal gain or whatever. Deserves its own thread really? Not everyone's happy though. I'm not sure if art is going there enough yet, to illuminate and debate.

The fuzzy thought that Morrissey might contract again with Rough Trade fizzles out with this message. He has such a rich legacy to be curated. He might enjoy shifting gear, coming down to earth, and living among us for a while. In an odd sense I think this silencing partly helps protect him in the long-term. They'll be knocking on the door for him again soon enough. But whichever it is, boot the grime of the world in the crotch, dear

🥊🤗🥊🤗
watched a few graham linehan interviews,he has lost everything,his marriage,his career,his pension and yet nearly every comedian has refused to stick up for him,worst is graham norton who got his break in father ted,shocking.

Linehan is a nutter, he said the fight is worth losing his family ove, and he's been fairly nasty to people who just have a different opinion. He's too much for the people on Mumsnet which says it all.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom