Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo of him in Tokyo. It's a pity that's the only Asian city he made it to out of the 4 or 5 he'd planned to tour.

Moz has very artfully painted himself out of The Smiths picture. Sure Moz was an essential component of the The Smiths, but he didn't do it alone. We could have had a reunion gig or tour if it weren't for the perpetually bitter Morrissey. He certainly deprived us of that! Despite his claims of how proud he is of The Smith's legacy he has always been jealous of his former band, deathly afraid of comparisons with his solo career, and he's absolutely haunted by the genius of Marr. Now that he's old he's foolishly equating himself with Mick Jagger. What would the Stones be without Mick Jagger? A better question would be, what would the Stones be without Keith Richards?
You can’t be deprived of something that you were never owed. Also - ironic to say the least, to read you call Morrissey “perpetually bitter”, when bitterness drips off your words like treacle. Morrissey isn’t haunted by Marr’s genius. You’re haunted by Morrissey. Big difference.

Bernard Sumner could never have carried off This Night Has Opened My Eyes, could he now, so yes M is The Smiths.

Furthermore, are those flares representative of a sailor off deck?

For me, Morrissey will always be the centre of any band he’s in.
His writing and vocals are the draw. Not the drums, bass or guitar solos.
However, I, like many others, have band member preferences.
Unfortunately, none of the players with him at the moment, but anyway, he’s the main attraction.

Something recent must have taken place for this comment to emerge.
The even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny" doesn't appear to relate to anything online attributed to Geoff via any socials (anywhere visible). Possibly the two have been in contact around the death of Mike Hinc?

Morrissey needs to have some better form of engagement with 'the media'. The Riggers' interview decrying journalists as a whole just added to the diva/too much hard work reputation. If there are people 'rewriting' history currently, they may have been less inclined if they had some shred of a rapport with him. That said, I spend an inordinate amount of time sifting "news" and haven't really seen anything that fits his description of things (apart from the BBC image) and other than Geoff's auctioning of materials - nothing from that camp either...
FWD.

This is because Mr. Johnny Marr is doing big things in the "main stream" (Greatest hits Album, Guitar Book, Sold Out shows, playing with an Orchestra, etc. etc.) compared to Moz. (Cancellations, Postponements, Can't get a deal, unreleased albums in the can 1 of which is in limbo?, can't sell out his 2 Quarry show in Moz Angeles, and of course his current mediocre touring band that can only play the same setlist night after night, etc. etc.)

In the media's eye Johnny is The Smiths now and because Mr. Morrissey asked Johnny to keep his name out of his mouth when talking about the band. Everytime The Smiths are mentioned they will mention Johnny and Johnny won't mention Moz.
Moz is once again his own worst enemy!

This is because Mr. Johnny Marr is doing big things in the "main stream" (Greatest hits Album, Guitar Book, Sold Out shows, playing with an Orchestra, etc. etc.) compared to Moz. (Cancellations, Postponements, Can't get a deal, unreleased albums in the can 1 of which is in limbo?, can't sell out his 2 Quarry show in Moz Angeles, and of course his current mediocre touring band that can only play the same setlist night after night, etc. etc.)

In the media's eye Johnny is The Smiths now and because Mr. Morrissey asked Johnny to keep his name out of his mouth when talking about the band. Everytime The Smiths are mentioned they will mention Johnny and Johnny won't mention Moz.
Moz is once again his own worst enemy!

Yes, Johnny is reaping the rewards of years of hard work and sustained creativity. He must be laughing his ass off at the Mozzer whining about not getting enough credit for things that happened 40 years ago.

Shut up Moz. How about people think you're a dick these days and are voting with their wallets? How about some apologies and humility? But that's not like you, is it? Never explain, never apolgise, you're always right, everyone else is wrong. How about you stop paying people to agree with you, get your head into the wider world, stop worshipping money, start being nice to people, and just...maybe just...things might change?
There is such an easy way for you to stop hearing from Morrissey - stop visiting a site about Morrissey.

Media responses added to OP.
FWD.

Yes, Johnny is reaping the rewards of years of hard work and sustained creativity. He must be laughing his ass off at the Mozzer whining about not getting enough credit for things that happened 40 years ago.
I believe he is responding to people trying to rewrite history, which seems to be an ongoing problem throughout.
Rewrites that tip the scale to your own narrative.

Here what real...Morrissey should not give a flying F what if others are trying to write him out of The Smiths. It is impossible to do. Marr, Rourke, Joyce, Gannon and Street could have all been at the RT meeting without Morrissey and it wouldn't make a difference. The Smiths are unique because of Moz personality, voice and lyrics. They are not the only contributing factors, but they are cemented in the legacy.

However other are right that he is his own worst enemy. The letter to Johnny was unnecessary and petty. He should be proud that Marr talks about the Smiths. However it was a little petty of Marr to infer that he loved working with all frontmen, except Morrissey. I'm sure that hurt and is likely very untrue.

Morrissey really needs to just make a 360. I and everyone would love to celebrate Morrissey legacy, but he makes it hard. Instead of whining about BOT, apologize and rerecord Veronica with Linder or someone else. No one will care, but holding the album for that is childish. Or if he doesn't like that route, buy the album and release to fans directly. Also instead of playing 2 songs on an advertised Quarry anniversary tour, play 6 and also add 5 other Vauxhall or Viva Hate or smiths or whatever songs to the set and stop playing the same songs again and again. I would go see him but i say this tours 8 years ago. Furthermore, play for at least 1.5 hours because the fans deserve it, and while he's at it don't cancel anymore shows. Then fans will talk about how great the shows were and he will start a buzz that will get a label interested in the second unreleased album. Then apologize publicly to Marr which would be a complete shocked and get lots of press. Maybe even talk about how much he respects Marrs contributions to The Smiths. Then the ball is rolling for a monster 2025 and a new respect for the mature Morrissey. would this all be great? However...... we all know he will do the exact opposite of all this and just go further in the hole or self pity and pettiness. He can't just help himself.

BTW, if Morrissey need a publicist or manager I'm right here! :)

Here what real...Morrissey should not give a flying F what if others are trying to write him out of The Smiths. It is impossible to do. Marr, Rourke, Joyce, Gannon and Street could have all been at the RT meeting without Morrissey and it wouldn't make a difference. The Smiths are unique because of Moz personality, voice and lyrics. They are not the only contributing factors, but they are cemented in the legacy.

However other are right that he is his own worst enemy. The letter to Johnny was unnecessary and petty. He should be proud that Marr talks about the Smiths. However it was a little petty of Marr to infer that he loved working with all frontmen, except Morrissey. I'm sure that hurt and is likely very untrue.

Morrissey really needs to just make a 360. I and everyone would love to celebrate Morrissey legacy, but he makes it hard. Instead of whining about BOT, apologize and rerecord Veronica with Linder or someone else. No one will care, but holding the album for that is childish. Or if he doesn't like that route, buy the album and release to fans directly. Also instead of playing 2 songs on an advertised Quarry anniversary tour, play 6 and also add 5 other Vauxhall or Viva Hate or smiths or whatever songs to the set and stop playing the same songs again and again. I would go see him but i say this tours 8 years ago. Furthermore, play for at least 1.5 hours because the fans deserve it, and while he's at it don't cancel anymore shows. Then fans will talk about how great the shows were and he will start a buzz that will get a label interested in the second unreleased album. Then apologize publicly to Marr which would be a complete shocked and get lots of press. Maybe even talk about how much he respects Marrs contributions to The Smiths. Then the ball is rolling for a monster 2025 and a new respect for the mature Morrissey. would this all be great? However...... we all know he will do the exact opposite of all this and just go further in the hole or self pity and pettiness. He can't just help himself.

BTW, if Morrissey need a publicist or manager I'm right here! :)
Agree, very well put. Although he has always praised Marr’s genius even in his open letter, ‘openly applauded your genius’ and ‘unstoppable solo achievements.’
On another note have you seen the reactions from the non-fan community? Stereogum on FB, has mainly disparaging remarks. It makes me so sad. Yes he needs a new manager.

Moz has very artfully painted himself out of The Smiths picture. Sure Moz was an essential component of the The Smiths, but he didn't do it alone. We could have had a reunion gig or tour if it weren't for the perpetually bitter Morrissey. He certainly deprived us of that! Despite his claims of how proud he is of The Smith's legacy he has always been jealous of his former band, deathly afraid of comparisons with his solo career, and he's absolutely haunted by the genius of Marr. Now that he's old he's foolishly equating himself with Mick Jagger. What would the Stones be without Mick Jagger? A better question would be, what would the Stones be without Keith Richards?
Far Out's wee article is a little bit hilarious considering they previously posted this horrendous image:

View attachment 100404
Disgusting photo. That fool can't take Morrissey's place, that picture is an insult. There are no blacksmiths without Moz

Agree, very well put. Although he has always praised Marr’s genius even in his open letter, ‘openly applauded your genius’ and ‘unstoppable solo achievements.’
On another note have you seen the reactions from the non-fan community? Stereogum on FB, has mainly disparaging remarks. It makes me so sad. Yes he needs a new manager.

The praise of Johnny in his open letter struck me as sarcastic. I wonder if Johnny will weigh in on this, in defense of Andy - it is his story too.

Back
Top Bottom