did morrissey was a sex -symbol back in the 80`s?

viva hate1

hi everyone i have this question i hope someone can answer it ,cos i been wondering this for so long time ago,obviously i wasn`t born when the smiths came out,but i`ve never heard that someone mentions morrissey as sex symbol from the 80`s ,although somebody told me the other day that the one that was consider as a sex symbol was the lead singer of poison and also prince......but i mean i think morrissey is better good looking that both of them and if that`s true well .....let me tell ya they were sooooo wrong back in the 19haties;)

I remember seeing a clip of a (Tony Wilson?) interview with Moz from 1984, when he said Morrissey had become "something of a sex symbol" and Moz rambles a bit about not choosing to "appeal to many people in an immensely sexual way" :D

Being an old box, i found him tremendously sexy back then...especially when he wore his glasses. I can only speak for myself.

hi everyone i have this question i hope someone can answer it ,cos i been wondering this for so long time ago,obviously i wasn`t born when the smiths came out,but i`ve never heard that someone mentions morrissey as sex symbol from the 80`s ,although somebody told me the other day that the one that was consider as a sex symbol was the lead singer of poison and also prince......but i mean i think morrissey is better good looking that both of them and if that`s true well .....let me tell ya they were sooooo wrong back in the 19haties;)

Better than the lead singer of Poison and Prince put together. Now there's a disturbing image.

Anyway, you're forgetting a few. Madonna, of course. Sting, Bruce, Annie Lennox, Boy George(!!!) Cyndi Lauper, sort of, don't forget David Lee Roth, it was strange times, some people even panted over the boys in Def Leppard. Someone probably thought Michael Jackson was "hot", and he was, literally, on fire...

There was even the guy from Whitesnake! Every warm body that appeared on MTV was pretty much automatically "radical", even George Michael in his white "hot pants".

So in all that Morrissey qualifies I think, with his polka-dot shirts, his spectacles, and his hearing aid, he had great style, at least.

Despite journalists desperately clinging to their idea that Morrissey only appeals to men, people that were there at the time have often remarked how many girls there were in the audience at a Smiths gig compared to other indie bands of the time.
Not that I'm saying the girls were only there for Morrissey's looks, but I'm guessing that was some of the appeal.

thank you guys for answering my question,well i knew that madonna was a sex-symbol back then, but david lee roth,the guy from whitesnake,boy george and MICHAEL JACKSON are you kidding me! boy george i don`t think he`s attractive at all,with make up all over he`s face and obviously he`s not manly at all ,but who the hell on earth would possibly find wacko jacko attractive i mean look at him he`s so ugly even without all the surgery he was quite disgusting ugh.........in the other hand i believe if i`ll have to choose between all of them,well let`s put it this way........i think i`ll prefer george michael for that matter:eek:

I don't know about sex symbol, but I can remember EVERYONE talking about The Smiths the day after their first appearance on TOTP. I think it was the gladioli that did it. A lot of men said he was gay, but most people were just fascinated, not only with this beautiful new music but also with this beautiful young man. I remember it like it was yesterday. Thinking back to that time, I suppose he could be considered a sex symbol but not in the usual stereotypical way.

rm84cov.jpg

Sex Symbol? In his own words...

In February 1984 he said the following:
"I don't think I am a sex symbol actually, which is a great worry when one's picture appears in the music press. People generally bring me their problems as opposed to wanting to molest me, which of course is terribly distressing. People tend to see me as someone with a great deal of answers rather than as a sex symbol, so I'll have to work on that one a bit longer."

In 1988 he said:
"I think I'm just considered to be a British phenomenon... as well as a sex symbol."

In 1991 he said:
"I certainly never, ever feel, even in my most self-opinionated moment, that I am a sex symbol. But to some people I am."

Those quotes are cute. I would happily molest him if he would just let me!

One thing I love about Morrissey is that he always had good hair, even in the 80s. Old pics of him (in my opinion) only look dated because of his clothing. (I can't say the same about the other Smiths.)

Those quotes are cute. I would happily molest him if he would just let me!

One thing I love about Morrissey is that he always had good hair, even in the 80s. Old pics of him (in my opinion) only look dated because of his clothing. (I can't say the same about the other Smiths.)

I don't think his clothing looks dated at all. He has always looked timeless. Very James Dean in that respect.

I don't think his clothing looks dated at all. He has always looked timeless. Very James Dean in that respect.

haha...sorry, but the baggy women's blouses and necklaces were not very timeless to me. Oh and the shiny shirts! Not timeless! But nevertheless, Morrissey has always been sexy!!! The bottom half of his wardrobe was more timeless--Morrissey never wore super tight jeans. I cringe everytime I see the Salford Lads Club photo because Andy's jeans are sooo tight!

haha...sorry, but the baggy women's blouses and necklaces were not very timeless to me. Oh and the shiny shirts! Not timeless! But nevertheless, Morrissey has always been sexy!!! The bottom half of his wardrobe was more timeless--Morrissey never wore super tight jeans. I cringe everytime I see the Salford Lads Club photo because Andy's jeans are sooo tight!

I think Morrissey's clothes look like a combination of the best of '50's, '60's, and '70's fashion... but nothing really from the '80's. In my mind, that makes him timeless. He doesn't look like he's from any particular era.

I don't think there is an official data-base anywhere which states who is, and is not, a sex symbol in any particular year/decade!

Morrissey never really escaped the indie-ghetto in the 80's so he was not generally known by the public at large.
Of the Morrissey/Smiths fans in the 80's, of which there were around 100,000-150,000 (buying the albums at least), I'm sure a fair proportion would've fancied Morrissey and to them, at least, he could well have been considered a 'sex symbol'!

For me Morrissey is still a sex symbol.

My life would be so much better if I had 25 blank tapes.

Back
Top Bottom