Dublin - Vicar Street (July 15, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Notre-Dame / I Wish You Lonely / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / Our Frank / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @ACTON

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what the bandage is for ?
Operation?
Cancer removed ?
Lovers scratch
New tattoo ?
He padded it after every song for first 10 then it was loose and ripped it off but couldn’t see anything on the right neck/shoulder but must have been a decent view post shirt toss…

Don't forget that David Johansen is the support on Saturday. I'm not fully up-to-date on if this will mean a possible 9pm start time? Wasn't Leeds 9pm?
Presumably DJ instead of video reel

At the beginning of the concert he said something I couldn't decipher but he ended the speech with something like "You made me happy as a boy."
He said sonething about Luke Kelly, and thanked him for making him happy.

Luke Kelly (17 November 1940 – 30 January 1984) was an Irish singer, folk musician and actor from Dublin, Ireland. Born into a working-class household in Dublin city, Kelly moved to England in his late teens and by his early 20s had become involved in a folk music revival. Returning to Dublin in the 1960s, he is noted as a founding member of the band The Dubliners in 1962. Known for his distinctive singing style, and sometimes political messages, the Irish Post and other commentators have regarded Kelly as one of Ireland's greatest folk singers.[1]

Came across as mean spirited but didn’t mean to 😂
Hope you and everyone had a good night.
No, no, your comment was spot on. Great night. Just wish I'd got in earlier to be nearer the stage. Moz excels in venues like Vicar Street, I think.

He padded it after every song for first 10 then it was loose and ripped it off but couldn’t see anything on the right neck/shoulder but must have been a decent view post shirt toss…
I noticed a red spot high up on his right back as he left the stage.

Interesting that 'Bonfire...' has been reinstated to the set. I assumed he'd dropped it permanently with the album being canned. Hopefully if he still feels the need to promote the song there's still a chance it'll make an official appearance sometime:pray:

Luke Kelly (17 November 1940 – 30 January 1984) was an Irish singer, folk musician and actor from Dublin, Ireland. Born into a working-class household in Dublin city, Kelly moved to England in his late teens and by his early 20s had become involved in a folk music revival. Returning to Dublin in the 1960s, he is noted as a founding member of the band The Dubliners in 1962. Known for his distinctive singing style, and sometimes political messages, the Irish Post and other commentators have regarded Kelly as one of Ireland's greatest folk singers.[1]
Luke Kelly's statue is round the corner from the hotel we were in (King Street)
Indeed we went for late night drinks round there last night and breakfast before our flight back today.

Sounds like all I did was look at statues which Morrissey mentioned during the show. I did have a few pints as well

The intro line at last nights Vicar Street gig was from Damien Dempseys Jar Song from his first album They Don’t Teach This Shit In School.

DUBLIN 15 july FULL GIG !!!

Just watched it! It's a really great capture, because you can see all the band and interactions going on. As if you actually been there which I was sadly not. Ireland gigs seem to bring something out in him, I was there last year on his gig and he sounded extremely great there. But on this concert his voice sounded also very very good and not a bit rough. Liked all the little interactions with the band, like looking at Camila until she looks up and smiling at her. Or as he jokingly forgot to introduce Carmen, just to ask her, if she knows the crowd because they cheered so loudly for her. And oh yeah, Carmen's got all the moves, she is clearly enjoying playing and feeling the music and shows that expressingly which so so energetic and I felt that the performance sometimes lacked this, because to be honest the lads (including M) don't move/show that much (sorry guys ^^). I love when you see that in a performer and she clearly looks so content and happy, smiling at Juan etc. This reminds me a bit of Johnny in the Smiths. So maybe that's indeed bringing some fresh air and lots of energy to the concerts. I think the sound improved massively and Carmen's more rockist touch really brought lots of energy.
I'm just living for this little in between moments :guitar::guitar::guitar:

Hope the second night is also that great!

Last edited:
Just watched it! It's a really great capture... And oh yeah, Carmen's got all the moves, she is clearly enjoying playing and feeling the music and shows that expressingly which so so energetic and I felt that the performance sometimes lacked this, because to be honest the lads (including M) don't move/show that much (sorry guys ^^). I love when you see that in a performer and she clearly looks so content and happy, smiling at Juan etc. This reminds me a bit of Johnny in the Smiths performances. So maybe that's indeed bringing some fresh air and lots of energy to the performance. I think the sound improved massively and Carmen's more rockist touch really brought lots of energy.
I'm just living for this little in between moments :guitar::guitar::guitar:
This is all excellent to hear!

I think so. He came on stage and filmed the t-shirt scramble up front. And he seemed to be videoing the crowd after lights came up, but only for a few seconds.

I may get shot down here, but I find it a bit distasteful that uncle throws shirt into the crowd and nephew videos it. It's as if it is a game.

I may get shot down here, but I find it a bit distasteful that uncle throws shirt into the crowd and nephew videos it. It's as if it is a game.
I don't mind that. The only time I ever felt slightly weird about it was at a Moz concert in the Point (now 3Arena) in Dublin in 1995. Moz was supporting the Bowie Outside tour. At the end of the final song (National Front) Moz took off the shirt and spent ages rubbing it under his arms before throwing it to audience. I remember thinking 'who wants a sweat soggy piece of cloth?'. Maybe I'm weird!

I don't mind that. The only time I ever felt slightly weird about it was at a Moz concert in the Point (now 3Arena) in Dublin in 1995. Moz was supporting the Bowie Outside tour. At the end of the final song (National Front) Moz took off the shirt and spent ages rubbing it under his arms before throwing it to audience. I remember thinking 'who wants a sweat soggy piece of cloth?'. Maybe I'm weird!

I wasn't having a go at you Acton - I was just putting it out there - but I appreciate your view. I still find it a bit off though, a bit voyeuristic, as if it is staged: "uncle, throw your t shirt over here so I can video it." Maybe it's just me...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom