Dublin - Vicar Street (July 16, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / I Wish You Lonely / Jim Jim Falls / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Half A Person / My Hurling Days Are Done / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Our Frank / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of @NealCassidy

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s Oscar Wilde
Thanks Marsadjusted.

And just to point out that Hot Press got one point wrong: there were no heckles. What was misheard were either cheers or song requests.

Press usually sit right at the back upstairs, away from the thick of it.

Brendan's Speedway drum solo via Brendan YT channel

Fantastic review, my friend!! The gig sounded pretty good from the reports coming in, but you've pretty much nailed what appears to have been a great night for artist and audience. He seems to have really been enjoying himself, judging by the video clips, as indeed do an enthralled crowd.
As you know, I would have to disagree that ANY version of '...Around Paris...' could ever be described as 'exquisite', but I'll take your word for it on this occasion.
With him not playing any Scottish dates on this tour(so far), your review, and the photos and videos posted here are probably about as close as I'm going to get, so lang may yer lum reek, wan ten deffo :thumb:

As for the pre-show clips; Dana Gillespie was David Bowie's girlfriend for most of the second half of the 1960s. He co-wrote and produced a couple of her albums in the late 60s(which are quite wonderful and worth seeking out), as are most of the albums she made up until the mid 70s when she became more a straightforward Blues singer.
She made an appearance, while only 17, in a weird film called 'Secrets Of A Windmill Girl':

'Playground Twist' is easily my favourite Siouxsie song. Looks amazing on the big screen with the crowd.

It looks like he's shaken the pre-show and backdrop images up a bit, as there had been a bit too much NY Dolls and Coronation Street of late.

So, glad you had a great night. Meanwhile I'm sat twiddling my thumbs, hoping Frankly, The Smiths will announce another Falkirk date some time soon:ha-no::clap::sunglasses:

Not sure if I made a bit of a dog's dinner of my report really, omitting much mention of the actual songs, but relying on Neal Cassidy, who'd already been kindly posting each song as played, to fill in on that score. Thanks for info on Dana G and others. You'll have to put in your request for a concert date in Scotland soon!

On Morrissey's opening lines, art-hounds in Joe Dolan's home county have proudly taken note and marked Morrissey's tributes in the Westmeath Examiner, with photo and incriminating video added.
"Shut me off, cut me off, make me an island, I’m yours,” Morrissey opened his Vicar Street July 16 gig, with a line from the Joe Dolan 1969 hit.

A fan of the Mullingar singer, Morrissey has been known to play Joe's Good Looking Woman video before gigs.

Meanwhile, The Smith's guitarist, Johnny Marr, previously said Joe Dolan's The Answer to Everything was an influence on their song Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

And it appears Morrissey is also a fan of another musical duo from Westmeath, singing lines from Foster and Allen's A Bunch of Thyme in Dublin Castle back in 2004.
Also here https://www.offalyindependent.ie/2023/07/19/video-morrissey-opens-with-joe-dolans-make-me-an-island/

Last edited:
What was the name of the instrumental solo by Camila, immediately before 'Every Day is like Sunday"?

What was the name of the instrumental solo by Camila, immediately before 'Every Day is like Sunday"?
Someone said it was Debussy's Clair de Lune. I'm not sure if it's been trilled about with too much, but I can't hear the tune clearly. I wondered if it was his Arabesque No.1. Perhaps best for you to listen for yourself and see what you think.

Someone said it was Debussy's Clair de Lune. I'm not sure if it's been trilled about with too much, but I can't hear the tune clearly. I wondered if it was his Arabesque No.1. Perhaps best for you to listen for yourself and see what you think.

Time stamped below, I’m hearing that Camila may be improvising or has written something based on this phrase ….

though recognizing a particular classical music piece is not my strong point, hopefully someone will chime in with a correct answer.

And we should add, that M is a fan of Debussy, particularly the album by Isao Tomita - Snowflakes Are Dancing, which is a electronic take on Debussy’s work which includes Clair de Lune

Time stamped below, I’m hearing that Camila may be improvising or has written something based on this phrase ….

though recognizing a particular classical music piece is not my strong point, hopefully someone will chime in with a correct answer.

And we should add, that M is a fan of Debussy, particularly the album by Isao Tomita - Snowflakes Are Dancing, which is a electronic take on Debussy’s work which includes Clair de Lune

I too hope someone will be able to identify it. Last night I was watching Portrait of Jennie, a 1948 film that has adaptations of Debussy in the soundtrack, and I thought some seemed to match, e.g. in the closing credits, but I really haven't a good ear for instrumental music.

I too hope someone will be able to identify it. Last night I was watching Portrait of Jennie, a 1948 film that has adaptations of Debussy in the soundtrack, and I thought some seemed to match, e.g. in the closing credits, but I really haven't a good ear for instrumental music.
I'd go with Z o'G's sense that it's an improvised bridge piece, nicely executed.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom