Favorite "uncommon" Moz/Smiths songs

I've been singing "Teenage Dad On His Estate" all week. Silently, to myself of course. I don't think my boss would approve of me busting a few lyrics out loud.

If I could go back and revote on Johan's polls, I'd add this in somewhere.

Jack the Ripper - Fantastic mood-setting lyrics, and a really atmospheric music arrangement. This would have made a fantastic opening track on anyone of Moz's albums.

I've Changed My Plea to Guilty - Again, awesome vocals! Melodramatic lyrics compliment a simplistic but effective piano peice.

I'd Love To - Some of the most emotionally compelling and draining lyrics Moz has ever put to music. Love the chanting at the end, and once again, moody vocals.

Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning - As has already been said, clarinet and whispering: the most obscure Morrissey song ever?

Come Back to Camden - evokes those feelings of despair and stagnation against the backdrop of Camden wonderfull. Truly underated.

Christian Dior - Sweet little piano intro. Hilarious lyrics.

Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning is possibly my favourite Moz song, ever. It's definetely a stretch, but it works brilliantly. The sound of his voice! The lyrics! And oh, the clarinet....it's so otherwordly, dreamy and atmospheric. Fantastic.
They Never Played Simphonies is great - it's better than anything on YATQ (except possibly irish blood...)
I have to say I enjoy Come back to camden as well - fantastic vocals....
I've changed my plea to guilty- again, brilliant vocals, and a wonderful song - there is a video on Youtube of it (I think he was performing on jonathan Ross show, it's quite old) and it's definetely his best performance I've ever seen - you really have to check it out if you haven't seen it already....
I really like Christian Dior - don't ask me why, I just do.

ammunition
suffer little children
accept yourself
do your best and don't worry
alsatian cousin
wonderful woman
wide to receive
southpaw
angel, angel, down we go together
roy's keen
maladjusted
i know it's over
let the right one slip in
this night has opened my eyes
handsome devil
best friend on the payroll
that joke isn't funny anymore
boxers
hold on to your friends
reader meet author

Disappointed
Pregnant For The Last Time
London
Half A Person

Jack the Ripper - Fantastic mood-setting lyrics, and a really atmospheric music arrangement. This would have made a fantastic opening track on anyone of Moz's albums.

I've Changed My Plea to Guilty - Again, awesome vocals! Melodramatic lyrics compliment a simplistic but effective piano peice.

I'd Love To - Some of the most emotionally compelling and draining lyrics Moz has ever put to music. Love the chanting at the end, and once again, moody vocals.

Absolutely agree. I"d just add...Rush and a push and the land is ours.This song is brilliant. I like the way you described Jack the ripper...very atmospheric for sure.

Last edited:
and 'Lifeguard Sleeping' always reminds me a little bit of the theme to tune to perennial BBC favourite 'Last of the Summer Wine'. [but in a very good way] Just me? YES.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom