"World Peace..." enters US Billboard Album Chart at #14 (updated)

Re: US Billboard Chart. Weird Al takes #1 - "World Peace in at 18 to 20

You realise how difficult it must be to make money in the music business now on album sales alone, when Morrissey sells such a relatively small amount and given how great the album is and all the great reviews.
If you want to survive you have to tour.

Your question is rather arrogant though, 'cause what you really mean is: the stupid masses buy whatever Big Music Cooperations tell them to buy. But Morrissey is only for those intellectual few with good taste. So charts don't really matter.

No, actually, that's not at all what I meant. What I meant is that the top-charting albums in the US are consistently the ones that are really, really well-promoted, whether it's at the hands of a label or, in Weird Al's case, the artist themselves. I bought Weird Al's album, FFS—this isn't some kind of manifesto for the "intellectual few" on my part! I'm responding to your suggestion that the reason the sales for WPINOYB aren't higher is simply because it's "horrendous," not because it's been very poorly promoted.

The charts reflected the quality of the music quite good, didn't they?

So by this measure of the US charts, you must think the Smiths were complete shit. Correct?

The real problem I have with "World Peace Is No Longer Relevant" is that Morrissey has become such a huge asshole that it makes it hard for me to enjoy his early solo stuff or the Smiths.

I am a handsome gay man who has embraced his sexuality as well as his masculinity. Morrissey has done no such thing. How and when did he become such a vile, bitter old queen? What went wrong?

I feel sorry for him. I truly do. Especially now his state of mind has tainted his music. What a waste.

The real problem I have with "World Peace Is No Longer Relevant" is that Morrissey has become such a huge asshole that it makes it hard for me to enjoy his early solo stuff or the Smiths.

I am a handsome gay man who has embraced his sexuality as well as his masculinity. Morrissey has done no such thing. How and when did he become such a vile, bitter old queen? What went wrong?

I feel sorry for him. I truly do. Especially now his state of mind has tainted his music. What a waste.

So you're upset with Morrissey because he is not exactly the same as you? Your pity for him is sweet. Maybe it's time for you to go?

No, actually, that's not at all what I meant. What I meant is that the top-charting albums in the US are consistently the ones that are really, really well-promoted, whether it's at the hands of a label or, in Weird Al's case, the artist themselves. I bought Weird Al's album, FFS—this isn't some kind of manifesto for the "intellectual few" on my part! I'm responding to your suggestion that the reason the sales for WPINOYB aren't higher is simply because it's "horrendous," not because it's been very poorly promoted.

So by this measure of the US charts, you must think the Smiths were complete shit. Correct?

Morrissey has many more U.S. fans than what has been reflected in the sales of WPINOYB. Perhaps the fans who did not purchase the new release were not impressed with the quality of the singles (Istanbul, WP, etc.), and thus, decided to skip buying it. This is exactly why I did not buy the album--it is not worth it. This makes way more sense--just because there were some positive reviews, it is still more likely that the sales are low because people heard the songs and are/were not impressed or fond of them. Morrissey--take note!

Yet again you make the same mistake. You can't compare the vinyl eighties with the iPod times of the present, you silly goose!

Heh heh. You said "taint." Heh-heh.

For the clowns saying that those of us who do not like WPINOYB should leave and stop being a fan, grow up. We are being realistic and honest--we are not blindly following the sheep in front of us. Perhaps you should go and visit TRB--be sure take a blue rose with you!

Oh, shut up, you silly girl. I mean cow.

How you must love "Kick the Bride". He captures your gender quite well, doesn't he?

His sexuality is none of your business. He doesn't have to "come out" if he doesn't want to. Surely describing himself in the 80s as a "practicing bisexualist" and detailing a few of his relationships in his book was enough?

Because he isn't riding a float in a pride parade he isn't embracing his sexuality? Grow up.

How you must love "Kick the Bride". He captures your gender quite well, doesn't he?

I am terribly sorry. Something went wrong, but I'm not to blame (hahaha). This reply was for Marred.

Yet again you make the same mistake. You can't compare the vinyl eighties with the iPod times of the present, you silly goose!

And yet again, it's all relative. Why is there a special set of rules that only applies to Morrissey?

Well I do have beautiful eyes, thank you.

I don't understand why you're making this all so personal. It's not about you or me, it's about why certain artists fail to chart as high as others. Simple.

And yet again, it's all relative. Why is there a special set of rules that only applies to Morrissey?

There is no special set of rules that applies only to Morrissey. That is why he charts so low. That is why Dolly f***ING Parton almost outsold him. Aren't you paying attention?

I am puzzled as to why women are still into Morrissey. In "Staircase" you are portrayed as feeble minded and weak, in "the Bride" you are portrayed as money hungry whores.

What's in it for you?

There is no special set of rules that applies only to Morrissey. That is why he charts so low. That is why Dolly f***ING Parton almost outsold him. Aren't you paying attention?

I'm afraid I no longer understand the point you're trying to make. I think promotion matters a great deal when it comes to charts, and you think it only has to do with the quality of the records. Got it. We're just going in circles here, so I'll leave it at that.

Also, just for the sake of clarity: The article linked to in this thread and my comments are about the US charts. Dolly Parton charted high in the UK (I imagine due in larger part to her massively well-received performance at Glastonbury, not to mention tireless self-promotion), not the US. UK charts have historically reflected a very different market than in the US. See that? I'm paying attention.

I am puzzled as to why women are still into Morrissey. In "Staircase" you are portrayed as feeble minded and weak, in "the Bride" you are portrayed as money hungry whores.

What's in it for you?
What about Im Not A Man? does that sounds so praising to men?People don't listen to Morrissey just to here stuff about the gender they are...

Last edited:

Bla, bla, bla, See that? I'm paying attention.

You don't get my point. Morrissey used to be relevant, because he was witty and smart and funny. That's why he sold records. People used to like him, his lyrics and his music. The Smiths didn't become the giants they were because of promotion, but because of their brilliant records.

Those days are gone. These days people are blaming the record company and their promotion. Why? Because the album sucks ass. And deep down, everybody knows it.

World Peace Is No Longer Relevant.

What about Im Not A Man? does that sounds so praising to men?People don't listen to Morrissey just to here stuff about the gender they are...

You're a bit slow, aren't you. "I'm not a man" is horrible. Being a nasty, vile, bitter old fag, Morrissey hates everyone. He hates women. He hates straight men.

f*** him.

Ironically, that's exactly what he needs.

Things were looking pretty hopeful for a while: buzz about the album, then he looks and sounds great on tour, but then it all went awry-no promotion, 2 new photos and the tour axed. None of that helped the fact that this album did not live up to the hype.

There will always be people like CG who will love anything he does. But the rest of us know he isn't relevant anymore. It's as if he wanted to make some money and threw together some sub-par lyrics and didn't care enough to actually promote it.

Does he even care that the album isn't well received across the board? Probably not.

How is the album not well received across the board? That's absolutely not true.

The Smiths didn't become the giants they were because of promotion, but because of their brilliant records.

Once again, you're talking about the UK. This thread and my comments are about the US charts. Period!

You're a bit slow, aren't you. "I'm not a man" is horrible. Being a nasty, vile, bitter old fag, Morrissey hates everyone. He hates women. He hates straight men.

f*** him.

Ironically, that's exactly what he needs.
Exactly, so why on earth did you just say women in the post? could have replied with this exact comment to your original post.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom