Alain Whyte and band mini Ireland tour (August 21, 2023)

The BIG news is here and we're so excited to finally share it with you. We will be playing some very select live shows later this year in the following cities/venues:

29 November - Belfast, Northern Ireland (Ulster Sports Club)
1 December - Cork, Ireland (The Pavilion)
2 December - Dublin, Ireland (Whelans)

The gigs will feature my band of all-stars most of you already know and love:

Craig Gannon - guitars
Gary Day - bass
Spencer Cobrin - drums
Gustavo Manzur, Jr. - keyboards

We'll be playing sets filled will songs we've all been involved in (either written, co-written and/or played on) as well as a surprise or two each night which you won't want to miss.

Tickets go on sale this Friday (25 August at 10am GMT) via AlainWhyteMusic.com/tour & Eventbrite.ie

More info will follow, so please stay tuned. We really can't wait to play for you all!

Why the hatred? They contributed a great wealth to his career and have enormous artistic input and it’s only right they claim and take advantage of what they have contributed.

Good on them! 👏

I totally agree with you, but consider the source: Morrissey has let vitriol, revenge and a pervasive bitterness guide his career in music. It extends to the fans. Where is the kindness and inclusiveness for the outsiders? It was all a narcissistic facade. The fans that see through the facade are the ones who are disappointed.

I'm out of the country the weekend of Dublin and Cork, so will try head up to the Belfast gig on the Wednesday.. I've never been to the Ulster Sports Hall, does anyone know what it's like as a venue? Doesn't necessarily sound particularly, um, inviting :ROFLMAO:
It’s a really tiny intimate venue right in the city centre.

It did make the front page I think.

Thanks. I don't think it made the front page of solo.. just made it to General in the forums.

If it did I missed it but either way thank you for the link. I really appreciate it.

Gustavo's contributions to LIHS indicated to me that he was looking to push his own musical ideas further. Perhaps with BOT and Without Music the direction of the songs were trending away from Gustavo's level of sophistication and he wanted to move on. Honestly, the Latin flair he brought to World Peace really showcased his musical contributions at that time, and re: LIHS, In Your Lap & Spent the Day are very rich musically and have a great style all their own.

In the months leading up to their departure though, all the posts w/pics of the two (AW and GM) - you could tell there was a connection/respect between them. I wasn't surprised in the slightest about Gustavo joining up with Alain.

Up
I totally agree with you, but consider the source: Morrissey has let vitriol, revenge and a pervasive bitterness guide his career in music. It extends to the fans. Where is the kindness and inclusiveness for the outsiders? It was all a narcissistic facade. The fans that see through the facade are the ones who are disappointed.
You’d imagine that these fans would have their own minds though wouldn’t you? Whenever I go to gigs, ever since the beginning but especially in these days, Morrissey fans are so hideous and they themselves narcissistic that what hope is there? They were never really outsiders, just morons.

I’d pay a premium, above and beyond the penny I generally spend, to be guaranteed not to hear Paris again at a Morrissey concert.

That this song has been privileged over Skull, Carol and Birthday for over a decade is utterly perplexing. It’s either much easier to reproduce live, or Morrissey takes some pleasure in indignantly championing the odd dud (Crashing Bores being another culprit).
Agree that Paris has been overplayed, but Morrissey appears to be obsessed with that city and all things happening there (Bataclan terrorist attack, yellow vest movement or the fire at Notre Dame). He’s also a fan of older French movies.

If I remember correctly, Birthday is too strenuous on his voice live, and he also struggles with the high vocal tones in Skull. So these songs are not performed and that’s unfortunate. Carol has been performed live but it’s been a while and I would definitely welcome it back. Could be a good song for Alain & co, Gustavo can play the trumpet.

I am really curious what setlist they will come up with and how they will sound. Attending the concerts in Ireland in December is not an option for me, but I am open to whatever 2024 may offer.

Gustavo's contributions to LIHS indicated to me that he was looking to push his own musical ideas further. Perhaps with BOT and Without Music the direction of the songs were trending away from Gustavo's level of sophistication and he wanted to move on. Honestly, the Latin flair he brought to World Peace really showcased his musical contributions at that time, and re: LIHS, In Your Lap & Spent the Day are very rich musically and have a great style all their own.

In the months leading up to their departure though, all the posts w/pics of the two (AW and GM) - you could tell there was a connection/respect between them. I wasn't surprised in the slightest about Gustavo joining up with Alain.
Yes, agree with much of this.
Gustavo was key to rescuing Morrissey from the dreary landfill indie that had been his default musical setting since the dismal Southpaw Grammar.

I don't care what the official line is. The moment Alain started getting more applause onstage than Jesse he was doomed. Moz probably didn't like it much either. Cowardly snakes like Moz and Jesse could have easily used the tour manager to get rid of him. Wouldn't that be totally in character?

Also there are NDA's at work here. No one dares tell the truth.

I don't care what the official line is. The moment Alain started getting more applause onstage than Jesse he was doomed. Moz probably didn't like it much either. Cowardly snakes like Moz and Jesse could have easily used the tour manager to get rid of him. Wouldn't that be totally in character?

Also there are NDA's at work here. No one dares tell the truth.

Makes sense, as if Morrissey doesn't control what the tour manager does. Give me a break. He's always had someone else do his dirty work, but the buck stops with the Mozzer.

Gustavo must be delighted with his choice to leave. Playing 3 pubs in Ireland with the Moz rejects while Moz is touring the world. Definitely a sound financial decision.
Who cares about that guy? Nonetheless I guess it would be a relief for him and everyone who left the band, not to be with the current pathetic "musical director", the guitar player that must be... cut off the band

Now this is how you play guitar!

Hey someone tell Jesse Tobias to take some notes!
Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF

Yes, agree with much of this.
Gustavo was key to rescuing Morrissey from the dreary landfill indie that had been his default musical setting since the dismal Southpaw Grammar.

Southpaw Grammar, minus Boy Racer/plus Nobody Loves Us, is a dynamic and very unique record. The two really long tracks that bookend the LP are highly sophisticated and simply powerful musical statements for Morrissey. He didn't have any other albums that sounded like Southpaw, and I believe the LP overall is a testament to how great of an artist he is - that he could shake-up his direction like that after V&I. The band/music really shines on that record (in the forefront more than any other LP), and it's packed with energy.

I do agree with you though about his default musical setting, albeit after Southpaw Grammar, up until Gustavo arrived. He brought such a refreshing change to Morrissey's sound - even the ideas for the horn section/accordion in Bullfighter, the backing vox at the end of Drops Dead, and all the classical nylon stringed guitar playing throughout the whole World Peace album. He is missed.

Back
Top Bottom