RTE: "How The Smiths' Irish tour turned incendiary - Documentary On One" (August 18, 2023)

How The Smiths' Irish tour turned incendiary - Documentary On One

001b3395-500.jpg

In November, 1984, The Smiths' lead singer Morrissey praised the IRA for an assassination attempt on Margaret Thatcher and turned their upcoming Irish tour into a political storm.
Louder Than Bombs is the story of a tour like no other.

Below, programme maker David Coughlan writes for Culture about this week’s Documentary on One production.

Written piece (with lots of historical images) to accompany the podcast - stands on its own as an article.
Worth a read.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine dated 7 June 1984 Morrissey is quoted as saying about Margaret Thatcher "She's only one person, and she can be destroyed. I just pray that there is a Sirhan Sirhan somewhere. It's the only remedy for this country at the moment." Sirhan Sirhan assassinated US presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy in 1968. This quote from Morrissey shows that was not just reacting off the cuff in his remarks about the Brighton bombing and was not joking. He seriously believed violence was necessary.

The Wolfe Tones tip into grisly sectarianism & tour around stirring up old hatreds - I don't think Morrissey's anything like that.

But I think he did see the UK governement as the villian of the 'the troubles' & was sympathetic to the IRA to the extent that they were a reaction to the injustice.
I thought there might be some discussion on twitter/X, since the programme presenter suggested the audience go there to comment, but the link given on the website is to an outdated account - https://twitter.com/rte How unbelievable is that, for a long-established media organisation?!

Is this Dublin guy really racist?! Enjoy :LOL:

In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine dated 7 June 1984 Morrissey is quoted as saying about Margaret Thatcher "She's only one person, and she can be destroyed. I just pray that there is a Sirhan Sirhan somewhere. It's the only remedy for this country at the moment." Sirhan Sirhan assassinated US presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy in 1968. This quote from Morrissey shows that was not just reacting off the cuff in his remarks about the Brighton bombing and was not joking. He seriously believed violence was necessary.
And people are horrified at stuff he says now lol

Moz is full of contradictions - to the point where you do wonder sometimes how seriously he intends everything he says in an interview to be taken. The truth is, of course, he doesn't need to be totally logical or rational in an interview - he's not a politician, he's an artist. He can be emotional and irrational if he wants - even 'silly' at times, or cruel and flippant - it really doesn't matter when you're a song writer and a singer and not a politician. But some of his comments sure have got him into trouble over the years.

Moz is full of contradictions - to the point where you do wonder sometimes how seriously he intends everything he says in an interview to be taken. The truth is, of course, he doesn't need to be totally logical or rational in an interview - he's not a politician, he's an artist. He can be emotional and irrational if he wants - even 'silly' at times, or cruel and flippant - it really doesn't matter when you're a song writer and a singer and not a politician. But some of his comments sure have got him into trouble over the years.
Some things he's absolutely consistent on - he hates Mrs Thatcher, he hates the Royal Family, he's against British colonialism.
Speaking of stirring it through words and songs, the Wolfe Tones are in hot water elsewhere too, though in company, as reported in a thoughtful piece by someone who lived in Northern Ireland during the Troubles- https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/wolfe-tones

Speaking of stirring it through words and songs, the Wolfe Tones are in hot water elsewhere too, though in company, as reported in a thoughtful piece by someone who lived in Northern Ireland during the Troubles- https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/wolfe-tones

These disputes happen all the time in Glasgow. Every old firm game you'll see drunk people yelling 'up the Ra' or '1690' & if they get into trouble from the police, they'll complain about the other side (known as whataboutery).

Morrissey wore a purple poppy in 2009 (for animals) & a white peace poppy in 2013 - which is often seen as a sectarian/left-wing snub of the red poppy sold by the Royal British Legion.

Last edited:
These disputes happen all the time in Glasgow. Every old firm game you'll see drunk people yelling 'up the Ra' or '1690' & if they get into trouble from the police, they'll complain about the other side (known as whataboutery).

Morrissey wore purple poppy in 2009 (for animals) & a white peace poppy in 2013 - which is often seen as a sectarian/left-wing snub of the red poppy sold by the Royal British Legion.
Catherine Tate Yawn GIF by Warner Bros. UK & Ireland

I’ve worn a purple poppy for years, doesn’t stop me supporting the Royal British Legion every year though 🤷🏻‍♂️

There are threads on this site that took issue with it.

Also he's made statements against the military & in 'This Is Not Your Country' - about the troubles in Northern Ireland - the narrator is scared of a British Soldier.

British soldier pointing a gun
And I'm only trying to post a letter
A short walk home becomes a run
And I'm scared, and I'm scared, I am scared

Last edited:

Also he's made statements against the military & in 'This Is Not Your Country' - about the troubles in Northern Ireland - the narrator is scared of a British Soldier.

I’m not disputing that, I just think the “is often seen as” was a bit of a stretch, certainly in my experience.

Most people I know on the Animal Liberation front etc, wear the purple poppy, but it’s not a political statement against the British Legion.

Lots of Irish people (and people all over the world with Irish heritage) have 'gut' republican sympathies - as a child grandparents tell you stories about Cromwell and the English that chill the blood. But there is a difference between being 'sympathetic' to the romantic cause of a free Irish Republic and 'supporting the IRA'. You are not Irish so you seem to totally fail to understand that distinction.

Lots of Irish people (and people all over the world with Irish heritage) have 'gut' republican sympathies - as a child grandparents tell you stories about Cromwell and the English that chill the blood. But there is a difference between being 'sympathetic' to the romantic cause of a free Irish Republic and 'supporting the IRA'. You are not Irish so you seem to totally fail to understand that distinction.
Point Agree GIF by Ford

He didn't make a distinction.

I’m not disputing that, I just think the “is often seen as” was a bit of a stretch, certainly in my experience.

Most people I know on the Animal Liberation front etc, wear the purple poppy, but it’s not a political statement against the British Legion.

Not wearing a red poppy would be taken as a political statement.

I found an article about Dick Gregory - one of Morrissey's heroes - visiting Belfast to support the IRA hunger strikers.

Why are you so keen to make Morrissey an IRA supporter?
Being sympathetic to the republican cause does not automatically mean you support the actions of the IRA. I would’ve thought you of all people would be keen to avoiding attaching yet another negative label to your beloved. You’re becoming a menace.

I found an article about Dick Gregory - one of Morrissey's heroes - visiting Belfast to support the IRA hunger strikers.

View attachment 94528

Dick Gregory (sadly, in his dotage) also believed in the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory. I guess if Morrissey records a song called Sandy Hook on his next unreleased album, you'll have a better explanation than you do for Notre-Dame, because instead of saying "somebody (unnamed) told him about it," you'll be able to say, "Dick Gregory told him about it, and he idolizes Dick Gregory."

View attachment 94528

Again, you're equating support for those on hunger strike with support for the IRA. Not the same thing.
The really tragic thing about the hunger strike is that within a few years all the demands of the hunger strikers were met. So all 10 men died totally needlessly. For that reason hatred for Thatcher amongst many Irish people still burns with a passion. But that's not the same as supporting the actions of the IRA.
The IRA, along with loyalist paramilitaries of course, were responsible for killing and knee capping hundreds of mostly young men, and 'disappearing' many too. Some of their unmarked graves have never been found. Do you really think Moz would support that? Just stop now because you are seeking to smear a man who has been smeared enough.

Tags
the smiths
Back
Top Bottom