Barrowlands Review

A

Alan K

This is a direct quote from today's Scottish Sunday Mail,reviewing the Barrowlands concert and I regrettably quote;

"He's never been known for his sunny disposition,but within minutes of taking the stage,Morrissey was drenched in beer and obviously not a happy man.
He opened with the brilliant Smith's track, I want the one I can't have and followed up with Suedehead.
It looked like it was going to be a belter of a gig,but sadly it quickly went very flat and the crowd were strangely subdued.
The original Charming Man is at present without a record deal and did deliver some new stuff - I like You being one of these, which sounded good, but not great.But he told the audience he may not release his new material at all.
He still has a swagger and a theatrical stage presence and Every day is like Sunday was well received but Meat is Murder seemed to be lacking a cutting edge, Johnny Marr, perhaps
The encore of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out was the real highlight, but, sadly, the night was an overall disappointment. You went away thinking of all the brilliant songs he didn't play."
Review by Mr.Tony Gaughan of the so-called Sunday Mail.

Here's a review of my own.

Firstly, I would assume that a minimum criteria for employment as a critic is the possession of eyes and ears in working condition.What is he talking about? Stranglely subdued? Was he at the same gig? I speak for myself and the rest of the audience here in saying that the response was RAPTUROUS and Morrissey recognised this.Obvioulsy,being soaked in beer is not going to please you,but the actions of a couple of morons does not spoil the overall impression of the audience,as I imagine Morrissey to have a broader thought span than this.
Johnny Marr has not played with Morrissey as part of The Smiths for 15 years now.This reviewer,I feel,had his mind made up before attending the concert.
This reviewer needs to realise that Morrissey has been a solo success since The Smiths split,and indeed has been a solo performer for longer than he was the lead singer in The Smiths.
As for his comment about "all the brilliant tracks he never played" - with a back catalogue of such immense quality as Morrissey's, you'd be hard pushed to select a number of tracks to form part of the setlist.A necessary evil,as many fans,and I count myself here,would love to hear all tracks back to back.But this is unrealistic.
The only good part of the review is the picture of Morrissey at Barrowlands.
Two stars is all it received.Again,Was he at the same gig????

Cheers.

The author is presuming that the people who will read the review were not actually there and will therefor take his word as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth when the "article" is just another good example of lazy journalism.

Like you I was there and would describe the crowd as all but orgasmic from the word go...and for once and for all can we get the beer thing sorted out - Morrissey was by no means, not even remotely, "drenched".

gm1.gif

I totally agree there,GraveMaurice.The author took this opportunity to paint a rather vulgar picture of a typical Morrissey concert at Barrowlands.
The beer thing has indeed,run it's course.He was not as quoted "drenched" and I'm sure everyone felt utter disgust at the person's actions and would have took Morrissey's suggestion as read.
Everyone else enjoyed themselves and,as far as Morrissey concerts go,it was a landmark experience for me.
Having been to his 1991 Caird Hall gig,1992 and 1999 Barrowlands.It's up there with the very best of them.
I think that the reviewer has Smiths ghosts that he needs to exorcise.
I think it'd be interesting if he reads this board to see what people truly think of Journalists who Lie.
Anyway,thats my Morrissey lyrics quotes over.

Cheers.

Can you believe this?! (ffrom the Sunday Mail site)

"RODDY FRAME enthralled a capacity crowd at the Queen Margaret Union in Glasgow. But Morrissey disappointed fans at Barrowland. Many went away thinking of all the great songs he didn't play. Let us know your views by writing to us: Mailmusic, Sunday Mail, One Central Quay, Glasgow, G3 8DA. Or email: music@sundaymail. co.uk

Re: Can you believe this?! (ffrom the Sunday Mail site)

> "RODDY FRAME enthralled a capacity crowd at the Queen Margaret Union
> in Glasgow. But Morrissey disappointed fans at Barrowland. Many went away
> thinking of all the great songs he didn't play. Let us know your views by
> writing to us: Mailmusic, Sunday Mail, One Central Quay, Glasgow, G3 8DA.
> Or email: music@sundaymail. co.uk

Oh certainly!

Dear Mailmusic,

I was astonished to read Tony Gaughan’s ‘review’ of the Morrissey Barrowlands gig. Morrissey certainly did NOT disappoint his fans, although he obviously disappointed your ‘reviewer’. ‘Many’ went away thinking of all the great songs he didn’t play. Oh really? Did he conduct a poll then? Maybe he should work for Mori instead of attempting to review gigs.

Of course there was lots of great songs Morrissey didn’t play, he has around 100 great songs, does Mr Gaughan suggest he does a full-day set and play them all? I spoke to people at the Barrowlands and many people on the Morrissey-Solo.com website after the gig and absolutely no one was disappointed. The songs were a fantastic mix from The Smiths, his early solo career and his latest so-new-it’s-not-even-been-released material. The hits were there, as were the fans’ favourite album tracks. What more can you ask for?

It was the third of four UK dates I attended, and I can honestly say it was the gig of my life. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd loud and physical, and Morrissey was obviously delighted. During ‘Everyday is Like Sunday’ (surely a ‘great’ song?) the whole crowd was singing along with Morrissey, and he was so choked with emotion he even stopped singing twice to listen to us, grinning. I wonder why Mr Gaughan didn’t feel this relevant enough to include in his ‘review’? Oh that’s right, he said it ‘was well received’. Speedway was also a standout track, with a massive jumping crowd response, strong-voiced Moz and fantastic drum solo from Dean. No mention of that – oh that’s right, it wasn’t a Smiths song or top 10 hit so Mr Gaughan would have no interest.

When on earth were the crowd subdued? I started the gig standing about 10 rows back, and after the crowd swells and dancing I ended up 2 rows back. There wasn’t a single subdued person there! After each song was a positive roar of approval. Mr Gaughan is obviously an old Smiths fan who never forgave Morrissey for the break up. He even managed to mention Johnny Marr in a very short review! He should remember that not only was this a Morrissey gig, but that The Smiths were together for 5 years, Morrissey’s solo career spans 15. Mr Gaughan mentions 7 songs, 4 of them Smiths songs. Says it all. He describes ‘I like you’ as sounding ‘good, but not great’, which is fair comment, but omitted to mention ‘The world is full of crashing bores’ which is a rich, emotional song during which Moz’s voice soared.

What a very unbalanced and negative review. I can hardly believe he was there. He obviously had some kind of preconception, expecting some kind of Smiths cover band, and has totally misrepresented the whole gig. I am not some obsessed fan who defends Morrissey no matter what, I am just shocked that a very enjoyable and emotional gig was so unappreciated. Shame on you Tony Gaughan. Next time I suggest you drop the preconceptions and LISTEN on the night.

I'll let you know if I get any kind of acknowledgement. Or maybe the Scots could keep an eye out for publication?

Thanks.

GDx

i think we can presume he was propping up the bar from midway through the first song.

i keep thinking about how i felt through 'everyday is like sunday', and the expression on morrissey's face, and sighing. it was amazing. take-your-breath-away-amazing.

i really don't know what i'm going to do with myself until we can do it again. between then and now, i might have to actually get out more (gasp).

ooh, I better not cross you :> I will keep my eyes peeled.

> Oh certainly!

> Dear Mailmusic,

> I was astonished to read Tony Gaughan’s ‘review’ of the Morrissey
> Barrowlands gig. Morrissey certainly did NOT disappoint his fans, although
> he obviously disappointed your ‘reviewer’. ‘Many’ went away thinking of
> all the great songs he didn’t play. Oh really? Did he conduct a poll then?
> Maybe he should work for Mori instead of attempting to review gigs.

> Of course there was lots of great songs Morrissey didn’t play, he has
> around 100 great songs, does Mr Gaughan suggest he does a full-day set and
> play them all? I spoke to people at the Barrowlands and many people on the
> Morrissey-Solo.com website after the gig and absolutely no one was
> disappointed. The songs were a fantastic mix from The Smiths, his early
> solo career and his latest so-new-it’s-not-even-been-released material.
> The hits were there, as were the fans’ favourite album tracks. What more
> can you ask for?

> It was the third of four UK dates I attended, and I can honestly say it
> was the gig of my life. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd loud and
> physical, and Morrissey was obviously delighted. During ‘Everyday is Like
> Sunday’ (surely a ‘great’ song?) the whole crowd was singing along with
> Morrissey, and he was so choked with emotion he even stopped singing twice
> to listen to us, grinning. I wonder why Mr Gaughan didn’t feel this
> relevant enough to include in his ‘review’? Oh that’s right, he said it
> ‘was well received’. Speedway was also a standout track, with a massive
> jumping crowd response, strong-voiced Moz and fantastic drum solo from
> Dean. No mention of that – oh that’s right, it wasn’t a Smiths song or top
> 10 hit so Mr Gaughan would have no interest.

> When on earth were the crowd subdued? I started the gig standing about 10
> rows back, and after the crowd swells and dancing I ended up 2 rows back.
> There wasn’t a single subdued person there! After each song was a positive
> roar of approval. Mr Gaughan is obviously an old Smiths fan who never
> forgave Morrissey for the break up. He even managed to mention Johnny Marr
> in a very short review! He should remember that not only was this a
> Morrissey gig, but that The Smiths were together for 5 years, Morrissey’s
> solo career spans 15. Mr Gaughan mentions 7 songs, 4 of them Smiths songs.
> Says it all. He describes ‘I like you’ as sounding ‘good, but not great’,
> which is fair comment, but omitted to mention ‘The world is full of
> crashing bores’ which is a rich, emotional song during which Moz’s voice
> soared.

> What a very unbalanced and negative review. I can hardly believe he was
> there. He obviously had some kind of preconception, expecting some kind of
> Smiths cover band, and has totally misrepresented the whole gig. I am not
> some obsessed fan who defends Morrissey no matter what, I am just shocked
> that a very enjoyable and emotional gig was so unappreciated. Shame on you
> Tony Gaughan. Next time I suggest you drop the preconceptions and LISTEN
> on the night.

> I'll let you know if I get any kind of acknowledgement. Or maybe the Scots
> could keep an eye out for publication?

> Thanks.

> GDx

Re: All Right!!! That sounds more like what I have read about Barrowlands.

Re: Yeah.. go girl.. GD Strikes Again!

Quite right too.I think that the Sunday Mail would be interested to see the vast swathe of us Morrissey fans contradicting this alleged reporter who,as you probably and correctly observed,viewed the concert through the bottom of a pint glass from the bar away from the "subdued" crowd.
This review could not have been any more wrong if this man had tried.
I will keep a look out for a response to this in the Daily Record and Sunday Mail.
It makes you wonder if this chap was at the same concert.

All the best.

as if anyone....

trusts what the Sunday Mail has to say anyway! losers!

Re: Yeah.. go girl.. GD Strikes Again!

> Quite right too.I think that the Sunday Mail would be interested to see
> the vast swathe of us Morrissey fans contradicting this alleged reporter
> who,as you probably and correctly observed,viewed the concert through the
> bottom of a pint glass from the bar away from the "subdued"
> crowd.
> This review could not have been any more wrong if this man had tried.
> I will keep a look out for a response to this in the Daily Record and
> Sunday Mail.
> It makes you wonder if this chap was at the same concert.

> All the best.

The Sunday mail and the sister paper, The daily record are rags anyway. There must be plenty of morons who enjoy reading the stuff their journalist write from their padded bedrooms as they sell stacks. So sad.

H

> The author is presuming that the people who will read the review were not
> actually there and will therefor take his word as the truth, the whole
> truth and nothing but the truth when the "article" is just
> another good example of lazy journalism.

> Like you I was there and would describe the crowd as all but orgasmic from
> the word go...and for once and for all can we get the beer thing sorted
> out - Morrissey was by no means, not even remotely, "drenched".

He was deffo drenched, cause i feckin did it.
waste of a night out.

Back
Top Bottom