"Boy Interrupted, Memoir of a Former Smith" by Dale Hibbert to be published by Pomona Books (Sep. 20

Exactly, identifying themselves as a "gay band" would have certainly pigeonholed them and limited their reach. Interesting, if they had seen this through would Morrissey have been open about being a gay man?

HAHAHA what?

. Interesting, if they had seen this through would Morrissey have been open about being a gay man?

He can have both! He can have My mother if he wants too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the negative attitude here?

We have someone who has a genuine insight into a pivotal period in the story. I, for one, am very interested in what Dale has to say.

Because they think they can still police The Cult Of Morrissey. Who knew....

best
-the Anarchic Archivist
Reykjavik

Genuine insight? He was the bass player for about 6 months. He could tell us about that in an article. Or he could have titled his autobiography differently, without the word "smiths" in it since this life period was rather small compared to his whole life.

Do you seriously think he would have found a publisher willing to forego the marketing appeal of "ex-Smith"? One day someone will write an autobiography that sets the record straight, but probably posthumously, given Morrissey is prone to hissy fits lashing out with his legal eagles like some demented crone in the House of Lord Frauds. Etc

Morrissey still uses the relatively small period of his interminable Career that was The Smiths to lure in promoters. His absurd spectacle onstage is only commercially viable to promoters so long as it showcases ye olde Smyths classiks. Why dont you ask Morrissey why he doesnt forget that small period of his life? The confirmation of Praying Away The Gay is just another nail in the coffin alongside singing Meat Is Murder whilst endorsing Corpsetarian-Cheesetarian "Vegetarianism" whilst posing as Vegan. He made a shrewd commerical calculation that to come out as ´gay' would damage the commercial prospects of The Smiths in homophobic flyover states in AmeriKKKa, just as he made a similar decision to ignore the initial pathfinder Vegan lifestyle of his friends in James so that he wouldnt alienate Texan cowboys. Nothing has changed in his world, but the world itself has utterly changed. He's never said a homophobic word in his life so there is no charges to add to the crime list on that score. But it is both sad and funny to watch this clown parading across the world still doing the dance of 7 veils about his supposedly mysterious take on human sexuality (humasex, etc) whilst those in the know, know, and always knew that its really much simpler and explicable by commercial considerations. Posing as Radical whilst pandering to uberConservatives on diet and sexuality to make money? Lets see if Morrissey issues a write against Dale for simply stating some basic historical truths about how and why The Smiths were just another rock and roll swindle along the lines of The Sex Pistols. And how a shy bald Buddhist from Birmingham kept his counsel for decades......Having harassed the proprietor of this site nothing would surprise us as Morrissey circles the drain and the abyss rises to consume his decades of charlatanism.

best
-The Anarchic Archivist
in a 'budget' hotel in downtown Reykjavik

The Smiths were a gay band.

Anyone who disagrees is either straight or stupid.

Other than Dorrissey, they were straight. At the time of FGTH and Bronski Beat, it seemed as if overtly OUT acts were about to storm the barricades of heteronormativity. However, shrew Careerists like George ODowd and Dorrissey made a commercial decision to hide behind claims of preferring a nice cuppa tea. The fact that they had dinner with Marilyn in a Paris hotel tells you all you need to know. BB was in The City Of Lights that night.....Etc.

best
-The Anarchic Archivist
sitting on a designer stool by a bar, drinking soya Cappucino, nursing a hangover in downtown Reykjavik.

the smiths were always a gay band no matter who listened. everybody considered them a gay band, all they had to listen to one song.

when you are a young band with young members its natural to just talk about plans and strategies as its fun and exciting. everyone does it but I don't know how serious they were but it's a natural thing to do. should have called it the best of the smiths

gay (geɪ)

adj. , -er, -est,
n., adv. adj.

1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits.

The Smiths weren't a gay band.

Well, I've brought this notion up in regard to the word elsewhere and I agree. Let's expand on it.

Oxford says gay also means: light hearted, carefree, showy (these are considered "dated"), and the word has been expanded to mean stupid or foolish.

It signifies in every day life such things as extroversion, parades, rainbows, loudness, indiscretion, promiscuity.

People don't realize that the "dated" definitions of the word including carefree, showy, and light hearted were INTENDED to describe the people who CHOSE to use a word with such meanings to describe themselves. They, activist homosexuals from San Francisco, wanted to be seen that way.

The word "gay" does not mean homosexual. In fact, the vast majority of homosexuals are not gay, while some heterosexuals can in fact be described as gay.

Morrissey? Whether he is homosexual or not, strictly speaking, he is certainly not gay, nor were the Smiths in any way really, any more than any other band that has elements of showiness and such that are a pre-requisite of playing music and singing for a crowd.

The Rolling Stones are a gay band.

Last edited:
Other than Dorrissey, they were straight. At the time of FGTH and Bronski Beat, it seemed as if overtly OUT acts were about to storm the barricades of heteronormativity. However, shrew Careerists like George ODowd and Dorrissey made a commercial decision to hide behind claims of preferring a nice cuppa tea. The fact that they had dinner with Marilyn in a Paris hotel tells you all you need to know. BB was in The City Of Lights that night.....Etc.

best
-The Anarchic Archivist
sitting on a designer stool by a bar, drinking soya Cappucino, nursing a hangover in downtown Reykjavik.

The lyrics and sleeve art told a different story, of course. But Bummie was only watching the cheese.

The lyrics and sleeve art told a different story, of course. But Bummie was only watching the cheese.

Dear Anonymous
IP hash: cacfcda871

Best Troll On The Payroll and-or Delusional Fan"

Isn´t it time you came out of the closet? How many Morrissey fans are in there with Dorrissey, Tom Cruise and John Travolta? It must be very hot and stuffy....

best
The Ghost Of BrummieBoy

Ah, understood. The baseball detail does seem odd to say the least.

That was Andy Rourke. From Goddard's Songs That Saved Your Life:

"I remember showing a copy to my Dad', Rourke reminisces, saying 'This is my first record.' He was mortified. He said to me, 'that's a bloke's bum,' and I said 'yeah,' but when he asked me why I just didn't have an answer for him.'"

Thanks! That was verbatim the quote I was thinking of. I have not read Goddard's book (though I guess maybe I should), but I read that story in a larger article about Morrissey about two or three years ago. I think it may have even been in a local paper.

Given Morrissey's quasi-cryptic image I still can't imagine them as a quote-on-quote gay band, but the fact that it was Rourke makes that story somewhat more likely.

What's a 'gay band' anyway? The Smiths weren't a band of gays.
Homoeroticism is just one element of what the Smiths were.

What's a 'gay band' anyway? The Smiths weren't a band of gays.
Homoeroticism is just one element of what the Smiths were.

a band with gay themed music. the social context for that as a genre the GH is pretty much gone

Well, I've brought this notion up in regard to the word elsewhere and I agree. Let's expand on it.

Oxford says gay also means: light hearted, carefree, showy (these are considered "dated"), and the word has been expanded to mean stupid or foolish.

It signifies in every day life such things as extroversion, parades, rainbows, loudness, indiscretion, promiscuity.

People don't realize that the "dated" definitions of the word including carefree, showy, and light hearted were INTENDED to describe the people who CHOSE to use a word with such meanings to describe themselves. They, activist homosexuals from San Francisco, wanted to be seen that way.

The word "gay" does not mean homosexual. In fact, the vast majority of homosexuals are not gay, while some heterosexuals can in fact be described as gay.

Morrissey? Whether he is homosexual or not, strictly speaking, he is certainly not gay, nor were the Smiths in any way really, any more than any other band that has elements of showiness and such that are a pre-requisite of playing music and singing for a crowd.

The Rolling Stones are a gay band.

The Rolling Stones are a shit band. I can't bear Mick Jagger. He brings me out in hives.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom