"Boy Interrupted, Memoir of a Former Smith" by Dale Hibbert to be published by Pomona Books (Sep. 20

Were all the members of The Smiths gay or bisexual? Would be interesting to see what gossip Dale has about the group. I dislike Andy Rourke, so Dale Hibbert might of been better as bass player. Dale just didn't have the right image for the group that was all. Dale wasn't gay! At least Dale Hibbert didn't sue Moz like Rourke did.

I waiting for Craig Gannon's autobiography next.

Were all the members of The Smiths gay or bisexual? Would be interesting to see what gossip Dale has about the group. I dislike Andy Rourke, so Dale Hibbert might of been better as bass player. Dale just didn't have the right image for the group that was all. Dale wasn't gay! At least Dale Hibbert didn't sue Moz like Rourke did.

I waiting for Craig Gannon's autobiography next.
No Andy was the better player, if it's was about image then mike Joyce would have never made it.

No Andy was the better player, if it's was about image then mike Joyce would have never made it.
Mike Joyce had the right gay image for the group The Smiths. Mike Joyce wasn't just a punk rocker, he also liked the late Lou Reed, David Bowie... artists who have experimented with their sexuality! Mike was also a great drummer, not just a punk rock style drummer. Mike is a true musician and more intelligent than people give him credit for.

Dale Hibbert himself said he wasn't kept in The Smiths because he didn't have the right gay image. It was nothing to do with Dale Hibbert's ability as a bassist.

Andy Rourke was lucky all the way through. Andy Rourke had the right gay image and he had happened to be good friends with Johnny Marr! Which was the reason he was given a chance to be in The Smiths. There are many bassists who can play as well as Rourke, he was just average. Johnny Marr used to write Rourke's bass lines for him and Johnny pushed him to become better.

Dale Hibbert seems like a top down to earth bloke, who you could have a pint and a laugh with. I understand Dale now runs a coffee shop in Todmorden, West Yorkshire.

You mean flamboyant, androgynys or maybe metrosexual, not "gay" image

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean flamboyant, androgynous or maybe metrosexual, not "gay" image
Or maybe bisexual or unisex? David Bowie was known for his flamboyant image, but he wasn't gay he was bisexual. Glam rock and punk rock are compatible with each other.

Mike Joyce had the right gay image for the group The Smiths. Mike Joyce wasn't just a punk rocker, he also liked the late Lou Reed, David Bowie... artists who have experimented with their sexuality! Mike was also a great drummer, not just a punk rock style drummer. Mike is a true musician and more intelligent than people give him credit for.

Dale Hibbert himself said he wasn't kept in The Smiths because he didn't have the right gay image. It was nothing to do with Dale Hibbert's ability as a bassist.

Andy Rourke was lucky all the way through. Andy Rourke had the right gay image and he had happened to be good friends with Johnny Marr! Which was the reason he was given a chance to be in The Smiths. There are many bassists who can play as well as Rourke, he was just average. Johnny Marr used to write Rourke's bass lines for him and Johnny pushed him to become better.

Dale Hibbert seems like a top down to earth bloke, who you could have a pint and a laugh with. I understand Dale now runs a coffee shop in Todmorden, West Yorkshire.

when did marr say he wrote andys bass parts cause hes said something different than that statement in the past. think id need to see a quote to believe that

Or maybe bisexual or unisex? David Bowie was known for his flamboyant image, but he wasn't gay he was bisexual. Glam rock and punk rock are compatible with each other.

Btw thank you for correcting my misspelling. English is not my first language. You must be one hell of a pedantic person. But the gesture seems to come from a nice place. So :love: darling

Going back to the post. I don't think the smiths were a "gay band" they where flamboyant, androgynous as I said and as you said bi-and unisexual. Gay is the wrong word really to explain the smiths. But they did write about homoerotic elements and subjects as the did heteroerotic ones.

Going back to the post. I don't think the smiths were a "gay band" they where flamboyant, androgynous as I said and as you said bi-and unisexual. Gay is the wrong word really to explain the smiths. But they did write about homoerotic elements and subjects as the did heteroerotic ones.
I always saw The Smiths as being a bit camp. What I mean by 'camp' is an effeminate, theatrical way of being gay. However, men can be camp without being gay! Floppy wrists that sort of thing. It is sort of stereotypical. Think Sir Elton John, or Jack from 'Will & Grace'.

Unisex is a word, but I'm not sure 'unisexual' is a word in the English language? Maybe you mean bisexual? Metrosexual is of course a word in the English language.

when did marr say he wrote andys bass parts cause hes said something different than that statement in the past. think id need to see a quote to believe that
This is taken from part of quote by Johnny Marr:
"Andy and I were close personally so that probably came out in the music. We would do stuff instinctively and sometimes work basslines out in the control room (together). Andy played the cello on 'Shakespears Sister'. Morrissey and I would have the songs written before they were recorded and we would get a good take down and then do the vocals. I would then get into overdubbing and layering the guitars and some other instruments, strings, sounds etc."

Unisex is a word, but I'm not sure 'unisexual' is a word in the English language? Maybe you mean bisexual? Metrosexual is of course a word in the English language.

Give it a rest, you know what i mean. Also i think flamboyant and camp is pretty much the same thing, slight differens really

This is taken from part of quote by Johnny Marr:
"Andy and I were close personally so that probably came out in the music. We would do stuff instinctively and sometimes work basslines out in the control room (together). Andy played the cello on 'Shakespears Sister'. Morrissey and I would have the songs written before they were recorded and we would get a good take down and then do the vocals. I would then get into overdubbing and layering the guitars and some other instruments, strings, sounds etc."

that quote is a very very different statement than saying marr wrote andys early bass lines

Give it a rest, you know what i mean. Also i think flamboyant and camp is pretty much the same thing, slight difference really
Sorry if I upset you. You speak good English. I guess what you mean is bisexual? I might be wrong though. You seem sweet and nice.

Sorry if I upset you. You speak good English. I guess what you mean is bisexual? I might be wrong though. You seem sweet and nice.

Thanks for the comp, you are pretty sweet too...... And yes i meant bisexual i just screwed it all up in the end :D I'm quite the dunce. I googled it unisexual is not a word :rofl: it should be a word. About Dale, he does really seem like a top bloke. He got kicked out of the smiths and he bowed out gracefully. I would have lost it and quite possible slapped Johnny and I'm not violent

I always saw The Smiths as being a bit camp. What I mean by 'camp' is an effeminate, theatrical way of being gay. However, men can be camp without being gay! Floppy wrists that sort of thing. It is sort of stereotypical. Think Sir Elton John, or Jack from 'Will & Grace'.

This is why the word "gay" does not mean homosexual. You can act gay and be heterosexual or any other sexual orientation. By definition, anyone who stands on a stage and sings and dances is committing gay, or in other words, flamboyant behaviour. Does that have anything to do with their sexual orientation? No.

This is why above I said the Rolling Stones are a gay band. Parades are gay spectacles. Cristiano Ronaldo is a gay player. But none of the above are homosexual.

Last edited:
This is why the word "gay" does not mean homosexual. You can act gay and be heterosexual or any other sexual orientation. By definition, anyone who stands on a stage and sings and dances is committing gay, or in other words, flamboyant behaviour. Does that have anything to do with their sexual orientation? No.

This is why above I said the Rolling Stones are a gay band. Parades are gay spectacles. Cristiano Ronaldo is a gay player. But none of the above are homosexual.

ok in that case, the smits were a gay gay band.

Sir Mick Jagger from The Rolling Stones reminds me of the great Russian ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev in his style and looks. Rudolf Nureyev has died now, but he was quite rock 'n' roll back in the day and he liked to party! Women found him sexy. Rudolf Nureyev was a practicing homosexual, or sodomite and he was open about this.

The word 'gay' used to mean someone who was happy and full of joy! It's true you can be gay without being a practicing homosexual, or sodomite. I think Sir Mick Jagger is straight, but he just has a sort of camp, theatrical, flamboyant look when he is performing on stage. Women find Sir Mick sexy and he has had romantic relationships with very attractive women.

Have you heard of "Gay Pride"? Gay pride or LGBT pride is the positive stance against discrimination and violence toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to promote their self-affirmation, dignity, equality rights, increase their visibility as a social group, build community, and celebrate sexual diversity and gender variance.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom