Dries Van Noten: "record curation by Jesse Tobias" (August 23, 2023)

Jesse_14Retouch.jpg

Jesse Tobias is a songwriter, guitarist, producer and music director that has been working in Los Angeles for the past 31 years. Hailing from Austin, Jesse moved to LA with his band Mother Tongue in 1992 and signed to Sony 550 records. Shortly after that he went on to play with The Red Hot Chili Peppers for a brief time. From there Jesse went on to play with Alanis Morrissette on her debut record’s Jagged Little Pill tour for the next few years. Jesse has worked as a music director and touring guitarist with such artists as Frente, Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Jason Falkner, Twillight Singers and Gutter Twins.

Jesse served as producer and music director on the celebrated cult classic musical episode Once More, with Feeling of the television show Buffy The Vampire Slayer. He was nominated for an Emmy Award for his work on the episode. Jesse also appeared on the show as a musical guest with his band Splendid several times. Jesse is currently the songwriter, guitarist and music director for Morrissey. Residing in Los Feliz California. He has co-written over 35 songs and played on 10 Morrissey studio records over the span of the last 20 years.

Songs chosen:

1 THE SUPREMES
Where Did Our Love Go

2 LINK WRAY
Link Wray

3 THE SOFT BOYS
Underwater Moonlight

4 THE GUN CLUB
Fire Of Love

5 DIZZY GILLESPIE
Afro

6 BRIAN ENO
Here Come The Warm Jets

7 THE CLEAN
Vehicle

8 MOONDOG
Moondog 2 (Extended Version - Remastered 2000)

9 LOU REED
Berlin

10 CASS MCCOMBS
Dropping The Writ

11 WIRE
Pink Flag (2006 Remastered Version)

12 TELEVISION
Adventure

13 LEO NOCENTELLI
Another Side

14 ARTHUR RUSSELL
Love is Overtaking Me

15 WAR
Why Can’t We Be Friends?

16 BAD BRAINS
Bad Brains

17 BUZZCOCKS
Love Bites

18 THE KINKS
Face to Face

19 JIMI HENDRIX
Electric Ladyland

20 CAROLE KING
Tapestry

8stitches9lives-24082023-0001.jpg

Bit of an oddity, but included as an insight to his musical taste.
Jesse chooses a playlist for a 'luxury' fashion brand.
What no Morrissey!?
Regards,
FWD.

Don't feed the trolls, just ignore them or report them.
I don't understand how "guest accounts" are able to post 8 back to back messages and not get banned or flagged as spamming/trolling. Maybe "johnny marr is sh*t" is right and it really is Jesse or at the very least someone from his camp.

But anyone that that says Jesse is a "great guitarist" and mentions the "intro" to "buffy and the vampire slayer" as a reason why is obviously a troll.:LOL: That is a pretty funny joke, you gotta admit! But really, hes an average guitarist at best. I mean come on.. the "intro to buffy and the vampire slayer"??:ROFLMAO: Is that even a thing? If he really was great I'm pretty sure he'd be smiling and being much nicer to fans instead of blocking them from hugging Moz and trying to hit them with his guitar or even kicking them.
Maybe someone should start a "Alain vs. Jesse" thread with a poll so people can vote? But I'm sure that would turn into an ugly war-zone real quick.

☮️ "Peace & Love, Peace & Love" - Ringo
I thought the same thing about “Buffy” 🤣🤣🤣. And you’re spot on with everything else, too.

dont forget...
jesse has tried to copy MOZ's taste in clothes
jesse has terrible guitar skills
jesse has terrible songwriting skills
jesse has tried to kick fans from stage
jesse has the personality of a prick
jesse has ruined MOZ's live band
jesse has made fans realize how much better Alain is!

BOOYAH!:rofl:
Please don't forget...
Jesse has cankles.

I don’t think it was aimed at me, zoom. It is a basic question that comes from a whirlwind of baffling curiosity. That is all.

then there was no need to defend yourself as you did in that reply to the anons comment.

That is all.

then there was no need to defend yourself as you did in that reply to the anons comment.

That is all.
To defend myself? What are you talking about, Ket? Show me where I’m defending myself because you obviously read something wrong.

That is all.
Oh wait…wait wait…so when I wrote that, the person was saying something along the lines of “some people are not happy with their lives and they have to bitch about Jesse” and I am one who’s bitching about Jesse (and rightly so) so that’s why I wrote that comment like I did. I really wasn’t defending myself, I was asking the poster why on earth would anyone be envious of Jesse. What is there to be envious of, especially as a fan.

So, hope that explains it better for you.

To defend myself? What are you talking about, Zoom? Show me where I’m defending myself because you obviously read something wrong.
Oh wait…wait wait…so when I wrote that, the person was saying something along the lines of “some people are not happy with their lives and they have to bitch about Jesse” and I am one who’s bitching about Jesse (and rightly so) so that’s why I wrote that comment like I did. I really wasn’t defending myself, I was asking the poster why on earth would anyone be envious of Jesse. What is there to be envious of, especially as a fan.

So, hope that explains it better for you.

…….

Some people are haters because they are not happy with their lives. Something didn't go as they like. The bitch about it. in reality it's just envy. Jesse is a great guitarist. I remember the buffy and the vampire slayer. Intro. Wich was one of my fav. Programs. When I was a teen. Love it. Well done Jesse. Love the pic too and the songs you picked ! And the ones you co wrote with Morrissey.

the above anon is accusing some people here of being envious of Jesse. And you replied with a defense by stating ….

What is there to envy? Really? I can’t see one reason and I definitely can’t hear one thing that makes me envious of him. Not one thing.

if you said … ‘… and I definitely can’t hear one thing that would make a fan envious of him’ then that would be different.

…….

the above anon is accusing some people here of being envious of Jesse. And you replied with a defense by stating ….

if you said … ‘… and I definitely can’t hear one thing that would make a fan envious of him’ then that would be different.
Lol. Okay. I’m not envious of Jesse. I have no reason to be. I was stating that I can’t hear why anybody would be envious, especially a fan. But it looks like you are going to pick all the meat off this bone, so…believe what you want. Your accusations are absurd as usual.

Lol. Okay. I’m not envious of Jesse. I have no reason to be. I was stating that I can’t hear why anybody would be envious, especially a fan. But it looks like you are going to pick all the meat off this bone, so…believe what you want. Your accusations are absurd as usual.

1693690410032.gif

That's a choice record curation; an educational one. I shall be coming back to it :guitar:

From there Jesse went on to play with... Twillight Singers and Gutter Twins.

this rather surprised me. For those who don't know these bands, they are both side projects of Greg Dulli who is primarily known as the front man for the Afghan Whigs.
I respect all of his output quite a bit and he has worked with a number of truly excellent guitarists. I guess Greg saw something in Jesse that I'm not seeing...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom