Here's Johnny: Marr on Morrissey, guitars and whether the Smiths will ever reform

Johnny Marr gets better by the week... however... The Daily Mail??? - ffs!

And, why does there have to be a guitar in every shot?

On another note though, I don't think I've ever noticed his tattoos before - does anyone know what they are, or have better photos?

Dave

"I can't speak for Morrissey, but I know that I'm too busy right now to get the Smith on the road again"

The SMiths is really over. I guess a Smiths' reunion would be interesting only for Andy and Mike - the ones that have irregular band for playing. I believe Johnny's negation has something of resentiment.

I didn't think Johnny is as young as Morrissey. His face is as old as Moz, Kike or Andy.

On another note though, I don't think I've ever noticed his tattoos before - does anyone know what they are, or have better photos?

Marr got the tattoo on his left inner arm while playing with Modest Mouse. "I recently got my first tattoo. It's of Shiva, the god of destruction and creation, and it's on my left arm. It was either that or Popeye."

Since then, he's gotten ANGIE tattooed on the backside of his right elbow. The newer ones were done in LA this spring, while he was there recording with The Cribs.

JM_8829657.jpg

Marr got the tattoo on his left inner arm while playing with Modest Mouse. "I recently got my first tattoo. It's of Shiva, the god of destruction and creation, and it's on my left arm. It was either that or Popeye."

Since then, he's gotten ANGIE tattooed on the backside of his right elbow. The newer ones were done in LA this spring, while he was there recording with The Cribs.

JM_8829657.jpg

Thanks for that - midlife crisis me-thinks :). I can see the Shiva on his left forearm in the Daily Mail pics. But what is this one on his right forearm?
article-1208926-061CB860000005DC-977_634x735.jpg

Dave

Johnny talks an awful lot about the past, Morrissey not as much.

I like Johnny. I too see the mid-life crisis, Jet black hair, tattoos, Tready 20 something clothes, working with kids, however he's still good looking and talented.
I thought he would just put his own band togther........Noel, maybe

An interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Johnny doesn't look so bad after all these years, good for him he's stopped drinking and so on. I've always felt the main reason for not reforming the Smiths is cause of their egos. I mean, clearly Moz has had more success since the break up and Johnny probably thinks/feels Moz would take over the entire process thus reliving the old Smiths days when Moz wanted things his way. And quite clearly Johnny does not want any of that, who would blame him, really? My other observation is, they've never truly had any proper Management Agency come after them and offer then a proper offer. Someone who does not only understands the band but also their history, someone who can sit with them and clear the air about a lot unresolved issues which BTW, I dont see Moz and Johnny come to terms anyway. I can't help but think there still much recentment on all parties concerned. I would not be the least bit surprised if the the other three feel intimidated by Moz, LOL. I have yet to hear any of the stuff Johnny has recorded with others, except The Healer's album and that was weak. As for not being called a session player, I don't know about that one. I mean, clearly that's what they are called, LOL.

Nice read, thanks again.

Johnny talks an awful lot about the past, Morrissey not as much.

I like Johnny. I too see the mid-life crisis, Jet black hair, tattoos, Tready 20 something clothes, working with kids, however he's still good looking and talented.
I thought he would just put his own band togther........Noel, maybe

Well I wouldn't be disappointed if he got back with the Healers', to tell the truth. "Boomslang" wasn't the best album in the world, but I liked it a hell of a lot more than anything I've ever heard of the Cribs. Johnny does have a terrific singing voice. Am I wrong in thinking that I read that work on a second Healers' album, but it had been put on hold partway through because the band were busy doing other things separately? Because I could've sworn reading an article saying that the second Healers' album was supposed to be more jangly than the first and being excited by that :blushing:

I don't think The Healers exist any more. I think when he brings them up in interviews it's just a lot of hot air.

My feeling is that the bad reaction to The Healers coupled with Morrissey's successful comeback has prompted the mid-life crisis. Since then he seems to have been rushing around in circles desperate for some success and hitching his wagon to anyone who he thinks can give it to him. I would have thought the US success of Modest Mouse would have been enough but perhaps he still needs validation in his own country.

And The Smith's being one of the biggest bands in the world? Not anywhere near.

I've read the magazines and journal of the age when Smiths ended up. No one believed that Morrissey would become sucessful and hence all journalists bet that Marr would have a new group and would become more sucessful than Morrissey. Then Moz'd be forgotten.

I don't think The Healers exist any more. I think when he brings them up in interviews it's just a lot of hot air.

That's really a shame, if it's true. I think if they could've gotten their bearings together and tried another album, it would've been better than the first :blushing:

And The Smith's being one of the biggest bands in the world? Not anywhere near.

I think he meant more of 'influential' than popular. And I really don't think there's any doubt of the power of the Smiths' influence. But that's just my opinion.

I've read the magazines and journal of the age when Smiths ended up. No one believed that Morrissey would become sucessful and hence all journalists bet that Marr would have a new group and would become more sucessful than Morrissey. Then Moz'd be forgotten.

Yep, they bet on the wrong horse and have been furious ever since. :D

I know, Where did it all go right for Morrissey and wrong for Johnny?

Yep, they bet on the wrong horse and have been furious ever since. :D
Actually, I don't like the present Marr's works.

Someone had said something about the Healers.. well the title of Marr's web page is "Johnny Marr (Modest mouse , exithe Smiths, Johnny Marr and the Healers)...

I was check his pics... the Smiths' age has no pics with anu one of members....just Marr...

Well I wouldn't be disappointed if he got back with the Healers', to tell the truth. "Boomslang" wasn't the best album in the world, but I liked it a hell of a lot more than anything I've ever heard of the Cribs.
In a recent article Johnny stated that he still intends to make more albums with his band The Healers, despite joining The Cribs.
"I'd love to do four or five Healers albums eventually," Marr told PS.

He added: "Learning more skills is great. There's so many things I've not done, and it'd take several lifetimes to achieve all I want to do in music. Writing several albums' worth of lyrics is definitely one of them."

Hopefully he's writing more compelling lyrics than the ones on Boomslanger. ;)

Johnny does have a terrific singing voice.
Johnny's voice doesn't have a lot of range. It's his weakest asset.

Funny, most of the Cribs fans are thrilled with the addition of Marr in the band. It may be awhile before you see any Healer albums.

In a recent article Johnny stated that he still intends to make more albums with his band The Healers, despite joining The Cribs.
"I'd love to do four or five Healers albums eventually," Marr told PS.

He added: "Learning more skills is great. There's so many things I've not done, and it'd take several lifetimes to achieve all I want to do in music. Writing several albums' worth of lyrics is definitely one of them."

Hopefully he's writing more compelling lyrics than the ones on Boomslanger. ;)

Grand! He'd better stick to his word! ;)

Johnny's voice doesn't have a lot of range. It's his weakest asset.

It's better than the Cribs' vocalist -- they should have Johnny singing :straightface:

Funny, most of the Cribs fans are thrilled with the addition of Marr in the band. It may be awhile before you see any Healer albums.

:tears:

Back
Top Bottom