Johnny Marr releases The Best of

I appreciate the decision to add new songs, bundle it with the guitar book and try to make it worth buying for people who already own most of these, but I'm not really sold.

"The Tracers" and "Upstarts" seem like big omissions and it would be nice to see some tracks swapped out for earlier session cuts like Slow Emotion Replay, Sexuality, Dashboard for a 'real' Best Of. The sheer amount of bundles, formats, signed versions and limited editions on his official site feels unnecessary.

I don't think it's the guitar book Amy, I may be wrong though. Not too bothered about The Tracers but Upstarts would have been good along with the single Bright Parade which hasn't been on any album.

Why nothing from Boomslang?

Well, that was Johnny Marr & The Healers, though maybe in 10-20 years there will be a true Marr greatest hits which features Smiths, Electronic, possible Healers/Song w/B. Duffy/Zimmer stuff and Marr solo songs. I've seen that in a few artists' 'best of' collections.

Boomslang had some great playing on it, and the songs flowed well, but his vocals are a lot better in his recent material. I saw him live when he was touring on that album.

Well, that was Johnny Marr & The Healers, though maybe in 10-20 years there will be a true Marr greatest hits which features Smiths, Electronic, possible Healers/Song w/B. Duffy/Zimmer stuff and Marr solo songs. I've seen that in a few artists' 'best of' collections.

Boomslang had some great playing on it, and the songs flowed well, but his vocals are a lot better in his recent material. I saw him live when he was touring on that album.
Yes, me too, first time I ever saw him play.
Agree, music wise it was really good, vocals and lyrics not so.

It did feel like his first solo record at the time, but I understand why he wouldn't want to include it here.

I don't think it's the guitar book Amy, I may be wrong though. Not too bothered about The Tracers but Upstarts would have been good along with the single Bright Parade which hasn't been on any album.

Have a look at some of the bundles on his official site, there's loads of stuff - book bundles, T-shirts, etc.

For £50 you can have the CD plus a signed version of the guitar book:
https://johnnymarr.tmstor.es/product/122100

And for a whopping £95 you can have the book, CD, vinyl, T-shirt..

The ‘Spirit Power: The Best Of Johnny Marr’ tracklisting is:

‘Armatopia’
‘New Town Velocity’
‘Easy Money’
‘Spirit Power & Soul’
‘Hi Hello’
‘Somewhere’
‘The Messenger’
‘I Feel You’
‘The Answer’
‘Dynamo’
‘Spiral Cities’
‘Night and Day’
‘Sensory Street’
‘Walk Into The Sea’
‘Candidate’
‘Tenement Time’
No “Upstarts”?! :(

Ooh, I might be tempted by this.
Gave up on his albums after the first two. There was just so much generic indie filler, and his singing was so droney and monotonous.
But his best songs are pretty good and I'm guessing there's some decent stuff off his last two albums on this compilation that I've not yet heard.
Reckon it'll go top 10 and probably shift at least 5,000 in week 1 if Radio 2 and 6 Music play the new single.

Last edited:
Johnny's record company told him he had to make a best of.
He said he wanted to make a new record and they told him that he just
made a double album, so that was enough for now.

Ooh, I might be tempted by this.
Gave up on his albums after the first two. There was just so much generic indie filler, and his singing was so droney and monotonous.
But his best songs are pretty good and I'm guessing there's some decent stuff off his last two albums on this compilation that I've not yet heard.
Reckon it'll go top 10 and probably shift at least 5,000 in week 1 if Radio 2 and 6 Music play the new single.

Johnny was interviewed on both Radio 2 & 6 this morning with plays of the single (as well as How Soon Is Now and Dashboard). I think he's off to a good start.

Hopefully all the press won't awaken Moz' green-eyed monster like last time (i.e. the letter).

Here's one of the new songs. Nothing earth-shattering, but pleasant enough.

The song is airy and throwaway but I sometimes wish I could live in his mind for a day. In the same way that some people seem to struggle through life from the day that they’re born, Johnny seems like a guy who had sunshine in his veins from day one. At his best, there is something about his melodies that is so uplifting.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think he's played ANY Boomerang songs live since The Messenger came out. Its certainly a flawed record, but Down On The Corner and Banging On are great.

I remember Johnny playing an acoustic version of Down on the Corner when he was sitting in on Neil Finn's podcast. This was during lockdown, so fairly recent. Agreed though, good songs, along with Last Ride which I would love to hear live.

Morrissey's solo output is vast and mostly great. Marr's is not. It's not 'anti-Marr' to point that out.
Well, that's an opinion. Your opinion in fact. After four albums (the last of which was a double album) plus some stray singles it's not unusual or unreasonable to release a compilation, no matter what you think of the songs on it. And since we're comparing that to Morrissey, let's not forget that Morrissey released a compilation (Bona Drag) after his first album.

Might pick it up as i like his music and the albums have been mostly good, but i really do think it's time he played again with a vocalist that stretches his guitar playing, it's where his best stuff comes from.
Matt Johnson will do.

Back
Top Bottom