Morrissey is now being managed by Pete Galli of Red Light Management (February 12, 2024)

1542323061036.jpeg

Morrisey-2024.png

Pete Galli image courtesy of LinkedIn.
Morrissey Photo Credit: Brian Adams.

Morrissey’s influence and music legacy is irrefutable. Widely regarded as one of the most influential figures in British pop, as well as one of the greatest lyricists of his generation, Morrissey has thirteen solo studio albums, a string of No.1 records, and an Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music.

As lead singer of The Smiths he marked forever the history of music with only four albums. As a soloist he has consolidated a sound that still reverberates today with his forthcoming album Bonfire of Teenagers. An explicit declaration of love for music has made him one of the most acclaimed voices of the last four decades worldwide. When the debut single from The Smiths, “Hand In Glove,” first emerged 40 years ago, the musical landscape was forever changed and launched a rich catalogue of songs that includes anthems such as “This Charming Man,” “How Soon Is Now?,” “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out,” “Suedehead,” “Everyday Is Like Sunday,” “Irish Blood, English Heart,” “First of the Gang to Die,” and many many more. The celebration of Morrisey’s music and influence on culture have resonated with fans worldwide for over 40 years.

Morrissey’s Autobiography published in 2013 by Penguin Classics spent six weeks at the number 1 sales spot, plus five weeks at number 2. It was the second fastest-selling autobiography in British history. His first two nights at the Hollywood Bowl broke the Beatles record for sell-out speed. In 2006, Morrissey was voted the second greatest living British icon by viewers of the BBC, coming second to Sir David Attenborough, with Sir Paul McCartney in third place. In 2007, Morrissey was voted the greatest living northern male in the Manchester Evening News. Morrissey has had 24 top ten albums in England: nine with The Smiths, fifteen as a solo artist. His California Son (released 2019) reached number 7 on the U.S. Billboard chart, and his Low In High School (released 2017) reached number 10 on the U.S. Billboard chart. Morrissey has had seven top 20 albums in the U.S.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely try to go if he toured this year!! It would be my first Morrissey concert. Hopefully he will be just a couple hours away from me.
I hope you get to see him. It certainly looks like you will. It never seems to get old even though some of us do a little complaining on here. The build up/anticipation is everything!

True, but if Carmen Vandenberg put Morrissey on to her manager (which looks to be the case here), then she might be in it for more than just a session job.

Question: does a touring band only get paid per show? Or are they contracted for a whole tour? I assume even if the singer cancels, they still get a per diem for lodging and food. Surely they don't travel on their own dime. So even when Morrissey cancels, it's a free trip to city X or Y. How pissed off could they be?

Yes that’s true, regarding your other question, i think it differs between bands, for example Peter Hooks son plays in his band but sometimes plays with Smashing Pumpkins as he earns more with them than he does with his dad. Related to that the bassist and guitar player in New Order ( who have been playing with them for 23 and 13 years) are paid a retainer which is enhanced when they go on tour.

Last edited:
I hope you get to see him. It certainly looks like you will. It never seems to get old even though some of us do a little complaining on here. The build up/anticipation is everything!
He may let us down sometimes, but what human being doesn't?! Don't get me wrong, I wish he wouldn't cancel shows, but it's just the way it is.. and we have no power. I'm a weirdo, I kinda enjoy the exclusivity of seeing him. It's a dice roll -- I'm in for the gamble. 🙈

16th Feb 2024

Good luck Pete.

21st September 2024.

Sorry to see you go Pete. I'm sure you did your best.

"I know I'm unmanageable
You don't have to tell me".

What he needs to do is forget about touring. That's not necessary and it only wears him out. He needs to have a good relationship with his new manager. Try and pretend that the last few years haven't happened. Forget about what people expect of him and get in that goddam studio and do what he does best. He needs a new friend He needs a strong manager. I don't think he's a lost cause. He's like the rest of us. Someone must take him in hand and reinvigorate him.

What he needs to do is forget about touring. That's not necessary and it only wears him out. He needs to have a good relationship with his new manager. Try and pretend that the last few years haven't happened. Forget about what people expect of him and get in that goddam studio and do what he does best. He needs a new friend He needs a strong manager. I don't think he's a lost cause. He's like the rest of us. Someone must take him in hand and reinvigorate him.
You can only lead people who want to be led. It's still unclear what Morrissey will do moving forward. Does he view all the recent cancelations and the poor selling YATQ shows as a defeat? Maybe he does and that's why he doesn't publicly comment on them. Is this new manager a sign that he wants help and to do some things differently? We don't know yet.

I'd say what he needs more than anything is a record contract. Technically he doesn't... but he's made it clear he won't self-release. Without that, I don't see the point of recording more unreleased music. I agree about touring. Recently he's seemed to have success with residency-type shows... so maybe we'll see more of that vs traditional touring?

He should continue to tour, but set a more manageable schedule. Latin America, US, Asia and Australia/New Zealand was too much. He needs to schedule more rest days and take longer breaks between legs. He was fantastic on this last tour when he did show up. I think he ran out of steam at the end. Hopefully the new manager will help.

He may let us down sometimes, but what human being doesn't?! Don't get me wrong, I wish he wouldn't cancel shows, but it's just the way it is.. and we have no power. I'm a weirdo, I kinda enjoy the exclusivity of seeing him. It's a dice roll -- I'm in for the gamble. 🙈
That's very true. It just gets tiresome when you've been riding this rollercoaster for decades. But for some reason we are still here.

I like seeing him in smaller venues. Liverpool was perfect. Couple of thousand in a beautiful theatre. Fabulous! Much better than impersonal arenas. If you ever get the chance to be in the front row you'll not come back down to earth for 3-4 weeks.

Yep, you're right it is a dice roll. I know that if I do all the dates on the next UK tour that there is a good chance one or more might be cancelled. But at this point it's still a risk I'm willing to take. I'm lucky as my mum is as obsessed with M as I am and she likes to have her space at the front too. The second night in Liverpool is a night I will never forget. Everything just came together perfectly.

Is this moving from place to place just a public gimmick? Or does he in fact have some stability? Seen here, there and everywhere, then in a supposed tour area, then not appearing, then exploring somewhere else, then not well. Appearing homeless and baseless might be part of his privacy persona, but I can't see the lifestyle he gives the impression of having as being good for anyone. Much as I admire what he has done, I do not envy his lifestyle (or rather the lifestyle we see). Maybe settle somewhere for a while?
I think it's partly an attempt to dodge taxes, particularly in the UK, and get around residency rules.

Does it wear him out because he doesn’t prepare though? Peter Hook plays an awful lot of gigs and for 180 mins but prior to a tour he’s hits the gym to get himself tour ready fit.

I’m personally less inclined now, to travel and take the risk, but you should seize the opportunity.

I had chances to see Little Richard and Link Wray, and thought I’d catch them the next time—but that next opportunity never came. I came to regret my relaxed attitude to gigs.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom