No attitude towards old Smiths fan.

I was sat next to a group of old Smiths fans at the last Moz show and they were quite lovely to me. Who cares if they don't know the newer Moz stuff. They are at a loss, unfortunately, but it's their own choice. I prefer these "older" fans to a lot of teenagers I've seen at Moz gigs who not only don't know Moz' solo stuff, but have only heard a few Smiths songs. I know far too many people who simply name-drop The Smiths/Moz and it's quite a disgrace.
In saying this, I don't mind teenage fans because I was/technically still am one.

Being an old fan myself ('84), I have been chastised throughout my life for following him because he's considered somber. I wonder if the new, teenage fans get the same criticism from their peers?

well, I'm not a teenage fan; I was born in the late seventies, but I, personally, don't get any criticism from my peers... why? well, it's actually quite unfortunate; it's because through some strange twist of fate, none of them even know who he his (except for maybe some vague recollection of hearing his name every now and again). tha's all right, I've converted some of the thinking ones yet!

Last edited:
Being an old fan myself ('84), I have been chastised throughout my life for following him because he's considered somber. I wonder if the new, teenage fans get the same criticism from their peers?

I am sixteen! And nope, actually nobody I know besides me knows/knew who The Smiths were until I told them, sadly!

I like watching older fans at Moz shows, especially when they jump around. It's funny to watch old people jump around.

I like watching older fans at Moz shows, especially when they jump around. It's funny to watch old people jump around.

Sometimes you can actually hear the CRACK when their hips break!

Who gives a crap if the stretch-marked mother of three standing in front of you at the concert only knows "How Soon Is Now?" She paid her money (which keeps the bands coming back). She has the CD's (which gives the bands royalties). Maybe she even bought a t-shirt!

HEY! I resemble that remark... but it's two kids. So there. And I do know all the songs.

Don't laugh, it's really sad when you're having sex and your joints are cracking in time. DON'T LAUGH! Or puke.

HEY! I resemble that remark... but it's two kids. So there. And I do know all the songs.

Don't laugh, it's really sad when you're having sex and your joints are cracking in time. DON'T LAUGH! Or puke.

OMG -ROTFLMAO! I think I'm older ?? but that doesnt happen to me. I only know of one joint poppin in time ifyaknowwhati'msayin... he he :D

I appreciate the young and old fans (even if I do feel a little territorial with the youngns =o). What bugs me is how anyone can stand motionless -even arms crossed :confused:-like they don't know anything besides HSIN at a show. Oh and I know all the songs too :) Except some elusive B-sides. How many points do I get?!

We're glad we can amuse you young uns.

I think I would find that distracting. On the other hand, it's still sex, so what the hell.

It's nothing to look forward to, believe me. Maybe I shoulda put some loud music on... but that could wake up the kids. There is no good answer, is there?

Better to wake the kids with music than creaking, don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the new young Smiths fans I can't stand.
Where were you all in '83 when we were freezing in the Hacienda and slipping on mushed up flower porridge on the floor?

"Not born" is their excuse.
Pah! We could all say that.
If we weren't born.
Etc.

Brilliant post, LMAO at all of those taking it seriously. :p

Regarding young fans - It's still one more teenager listening to Morrissey rather than Rhianna, isn't it?!

I don't know who that is, but someone has to listen to her, it's only polite. :p

Have you heard that Morrissey at The Hollywood Bowl recording? I'll get it wrong but he says something like, "It's been fifteen years since they allowed me to play the Hollywood Bowl. For all of you that have sustained your interest, or those of you that have renewed or interest, or if you were born in the last 15 years, like most of you were, thank you very much"

Morrissey doesn't care if you bought your ticket with a pension check or saved up your milk money. Any fans that want to be elitist are not worth worrying about.

Yeah, when we can get a babysitter... if our joints don't ache too badly... if we feel up to staying up that late... god it sucks being sooo old. ;)

Seriously, I love seeing teenagers at shows... I think the Smiths music still sounds fresh, 25 years on, and Morrissey has so much to give anyone. I think he will only be more appreciated as the years go on. He should be Britain's Poet Laureate- but he'd probably decline it. I wish he could be ours (American) but I think you have to be born here... and they have never yet chosen a lyricist anyway.

:p

It's because they sound like nobody else, in the best possible way.

I agree.I picked the kids up from school yesterday in my lovely Moz t shirt and was totally ostracised by the Yummy Mummy brigade in their Asda clothes.I roll up in my old banger and moz t shirt where they look down their noses from their Four by Fours and I think Yes!!I don`t not want to discuss what marvellous trips to the South of France they had as i went to Skeggy.I would like to discuss amongst other things which tour was better....Oye Esteban or Ringleaders.....then i realise I really am on a totally different planet to the rest of society.:pWho cares what anyone thinks. Being a Morrissey fan is more than just about the music anyway.:D

I agree.I picked the kids up from school yesterday in my lovely Moz t shirt and was totally ostracised by the Yummy Mummy brigade in their Asda clothes.I roll up in my old banger and moz t shirt where they look down their noses from their Four by Fours and I think Yes!!I don`t not want to discuss what marvellous trips to the South of France they had as i went to Skeggy.I would like to discuss amongst other things which tour was better....Oye Esteban or Ringleaders.....then i realise I really am on a totally different planet to the rest of society.:pWho cares what anyone thinks. Being a Morrissey fan is more than just about the music anyway.:D

Well said Hellie, being a Morrissey fan is more a way of life! Oh, and there's nowt wrong with Skeggy!

Back
Top Bottom