Official Manager Statement regarding Morrissey’s health (January 26, 2024)

D6F4A7EB-137A-4C94-842C-C316837ACEA1.jpeg

NealCassady posted news of South America cancellation:

UPDATE 1:50PM PT:

Mexico City cancellation notice posted by On Returning.

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that’s my point.

Agree. But if depression is the case, we can expect him or anyone to be less functional than they normally are. Also, maybe mental issues are not something he wants made public, because the way the music and general media (not fans) may misuse that information, for jibes, etc.

This too is speculation, but I can’t imagine anyone that’s making the decisions that he’s making and has been treated as he has been over the past several years, how that’s not going to drive most people to eventual breakdown.

I always worried about this. But then what he’s had to go through these past few years in particular, is truly incredible. This is also why I said that I think he’s doing great in that other thread the other day - because everything happens in the context of the overall evvvvvverything. And his “everything” that he’s had to deal with these last few years has been far more than one single person should ever have to. This is why it was always especially so great to see him smiling, anywhere, these last several years. I hope he knows how to switch off when he really needs to, and i hope he really will be doing something to be taking good care of himself

I always worried about this. But then what he’s had to go through these past few years in particular, is truly incredible. This is also why I said that I think he’s doing great in that other thread the other day - because everything happens in the context of the overall evvvvvverything. And his “everything” that he’s had to deal with these last few years has been far more than one single person should ever have to. This is why it was always especially so great to see him smiling, anywhere, these last several years. I hope he knows how to switch off when he really needs to, and i hope he really will be doing something to be taking good care of himself
What did he “have to go through?” He recorded a record with a star studded group. Duffed it before hitting the pitch. He did that.

He then canceled a ton of concerns. Too cold. Too empty. He did that.

He sacked Alain (didn’t pay him). He did that.

He told Marr to shut up p. He did that.

He did it all. When I bought him a drink years ago at the Marquis bar, I realized he looked like a sad man.

What did he “have to go through?” He recorded a record with a star studded group. Duffed it before hitting the pitch. He did that.

He did it all. When I bought him a drink years ago at the Marquis bar, I realized he looked like a sad man.
Well, you just don't have the 'special understanding' that is required to understand how completely and totally devastating it is to be a millionaire artist screwing over his fans and everyone he knows all the time. He has alienated everyone and everthing, all of his own doing and now he has to live with it. Poor thing. Now he is vacationing in Zurich. Another hardship.

Some of these comments are beyond.
Disgraceful behaviour of so-called fans.

Get well Morrissey xx

View attachment 100996

NealCassady posted news of South America cancellation:

UPDATE 1:50PM PT:

Mexico City cancellation notice posted by On Returning.

Media item:

Would you like a private nurse from Australia? Btw, you & the band were brilliant last month. We love you ❤️

As Mogsy has sung, "one day I will close my eyes forever" I wonder, when that time comes, how many of this sites nattering nabobs of negativism will be blubbering their, "Oh Morrissey, your music meant so much to me.....blah, blah blah."

With his penchant for staying in 5 Star hotels and spas instead of actually having a permanent residence or two really means he has to tour yearly for cash flow. I would say his "nut" is well over a million pounds a year.. That is going to be an even more difficult proposition than ever before as the the underwriting of insurance on a tour is going to be an even larger cut of his proceeds. And he is not an artist that can get Superstar level pricing for his tickets.

With his penchant for staying in 5 Star hotels and spas instead of actually having a permanent residence or two really means he has to tour yearly for cash flow. I would say his "nut" is well over a million pounds a year.. That is going to be an even more difficult proposition than ever before as the the underwriting of insurance on a tour is going to be an even larger cut of his proceeds. And he is not an artist that can get Superstar level pricing for his tickets.
This is spot on. What's even more insane is that with merch and guarantee, even with poor sales, he'd have lost over a million gross for these two shows ALONE. Not to mention the losses from spend on production rehearsals, band & crew accommodation (for the ones that live outside of LA, which is over half), VISAs, ad spend, gear hire, bus hire etc.

Not buying it. Seen this so, so, so many times before. An outcry followed by this - and guess what - now, you're not allowed to ask questions. If it was true, it would have been the other way around. One day before, and the band were all there. Not buying it.

And here you all are. Living proof even men love gossipy conjecturing and soap opera drama. Many here the sort who would show up for a serious prayer meeting and expect the intimate details for your own entertainment and thrill. Like vultures.

Why is it so difficult for us to take some news like this at face value and respect the privacy of this human being named Morrissey?

Some of you have an abusive way of showing your disappointment when a show is cancelled.

I love you, Morrissey.

That's not true. Or at least, it was hardly the end of the Beatles when they stopped touring. XTC stopped touring and made more records after than before. Syd Barrett went off the deep end and still managed to leave two great solo albums.

Whether an artist can't (or won't) sell tickets, they can still make music.
(Not sure I would call Syd’s solo albums “great”. He was largely propped up by Gilmour and others trying to help him out.)

“Finally aware of ourselves as forever being in opposition, the solution to all predicaments is the goodness of privacy in a warm room with books…. Fame can demand upon you a sudden wish to get along unseen, after those riddled years of wanting nothing at all but to be heard."
Morrissey, Autobiography

Once again, until you understand: the choice of planning to attend gigs is a response to the artist's plan. Accidents may happen and we all understand that when they are justifiable.

When the artist shows major didain for fans, such as cancelling gigs without any valid reason, on a whim, it really annoys me. At least I get angry, I don't know if you take well this kind of behavior.
I think all of your posts are justified. You’ve every right to show emotion, but you’re right with words you use, “disdain” being one that stands out. 👍

His mother died. You don’t get over that quickly or easily.

I understand the fans that bought tickets for Morrissey`s shows are disappointed I would be too. I think Morrissey hasn`t been the same since his mother passed away. I understand why some fans are so upset about him canceling these shows. He is an older man now and with his mom passing away and his album not getting released he just had enough. He is still a human being. He just seems so sad these days. I know he`s rich and can afford to stay in fancy hotels but no amount of money can buy happiness or bring his mother back. I love Morrissey and I hope whatever he is going through will get better soon.

Given that he has already had treatment for cancer it's quite possible he has serious problems of long-term decline... but that means he shouldn't be booking tours and setting false expectations. Like I said on the other thread, you have to accept you can't do everything you used to. That's not "giving in", and you're not a "hero" for refusing to face reality. It's not much better than drunk driving.

Time to retire, surely there's enough money left to keep him comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom