Ryan Adams answer when asked "best run of great albums by a band/artist?"

Bowie’s run from Ziggy to Scary Monsters is unsurpassed for a solo artist. I don’t include Hunky Dory as it has three great songs and too much hippy shit.

Smiths songs I’m not that keen on are Miserable Lie, Death At One’s Elbow, Money Changes Everything and The Draize Train. Smiths covers which should be eradicated entirely are those final few, the Cilla Black and Twinkle stuff, which are not only unnecessary and awful, but are said to have been part of the reason for the split.

Jeane contains the lines:

“There’s ice on the sink where we bathe /
So how can you call it a home /
When you know it’s a grave?”

... so for that alone is utterly brilliant, and summed up a shared house in Swansea in the winter far better than Club Tropicana, but probably not as well as Trapped by Colonel Abrams.

Bowie’s run from Ziggy to Scary Monsters is unsurpassed for a solo artist. I don’t include Hunky Dory as it has three great songs and too much hippy shit.

Smiths songs I’m not that keen on are Miserable Lie, Death At One’s Elbow, Money Changes Everything and The Draize Train. Smiths covers which should be eradicated entirely are those final few, the Cilla Black and Twinkle stuff, which are not only unnecessary and awful, but are said to have been part of the reason for the split.

Jeane contains the lines:

“There’s ice on the sink where we bathe /
So how can you call it a home /
When you know it’s a grave?”

... so for that alone is utterly brilliant, and summed up a shared house in Swansea in the winter far better than Club Tropicana, but probably not as well as Trapped by Colonel Abrams.

I think two of the songs you don't like are technically the same song.

It's probably an unpopular opinion but I think Pinups and Alladin Sane are a bit patchy. I'm going to throw this out there, Purple Rain to Lovesexy was pretty much flawless too.

I love Aladdin sane but the second half of diamond dogs drags a bit and young Americans is up and down as well as lodger. Don’t enjoy scary monsters myself or prince for that matter. If Ryan Adams could restrain himself he could have had a near perfect run of classic albums. Almost dhome did anyway

Although the thing I often feel with Jeane is, despite having written those biting lyrics, Morrissey doesn't FEEL them because it's not a situation he's ever been in - ie it involves a relationship. With a woman (and we all know what he thinks about those). So I do wonder whether he could give it the required empathy, but it would be really interesting to find out.

I know he pronounces it "Jean" but look at the spelling!

Morrissey's voice improved tremendously in the first couple of years - did he have formal lessons at one point?

When singers first go in the studio, they get to hear their voices properly and get the opportunity to change it/improve.

Back
Top Bottom