tell us about the last Film you saw

443DD75C-0F59-411B-AA31-A4141DDD7D02.jpeg

Although I liked a number of scenes and ideas in this, it didn’t really do it for me in the end.

BC93BAC8-391B-4A98-B3F1-54E8974CC582.jpeg

Interesting doc looking at beginnings of forensic science as well as a variety of poisoning deaths. Research sometimes was used to help convict people or change public policy. Other times it was used to prove innocence.

71179A78-18D5-409F-9C54-B3F57D314128.jpeg

Now this one here is really terrific! Amazing volumes of photographs and recordings from W. Eugene Smith capture a period of Jazz history in NYC. Well worth tracking down.

Booksmart. Kinda the female Superbad. It was interesting in that they went the opposite of the typical teen movie. They sorta reversed the stereotypes and cliches. It was a teen movie with no real villains. It was a teen world that seemed so unlike the one I grew up with on tv and I just found that interesting. All that said it was just an alright movie. No real flaws but some of it seemed like it was just by the book and just good enough. They tried a little to hard to be quirky but it it only became grating every now and then. Some one liners were really funny. I watched it for my wife

only god forgives. not at all what I expected but wow was that a pleasure. I still need time to process what happened there symbolically but it was so well shot and directed that I would have enjoyed it on mute (the music was really key to the emotional context tension and pacing though. The scene where he watches the Karaoke performance was brilliant in terms of audio the way it fade the room noise and singing into the background with the music over top comes to mind)

this is an absolutely amazing movie. I have long thought Marcello Mastroianni to be my type of guy, but this was the movie that truly removed all doubt. what a charming, moving, dignified performance he gives. Sophia loren is wonderful as well, appearing with hardly a trace of her usual glamour and beauty. in fact she gives absolute proof to that saying that there is a thin line beauty beauty and ugliness and that a woman cannot be beautiful without also being a little ugly. she seems to straddle that line throughout the movie, appearing at times if not beautiful to have at least the promise of beauty and other times looking downright homely. the scene near the end made me feel a little icky: if she knows he's a homosexual why is she insisting upon him touching her and having sex with her, and why does he go along with it, and then respond that it was "very nice"? weird! however, they have, as everyone knows, amazing chemistry and this was still a very beautiful movie. I love you Marcello! :rabbitface::rabbitface::rabbitface::rabbitface: + :rabbit:

Daddy issues. I thought this movie was pretty great and not at all what we were expecting. It’s almost like a pop version of freeway with a spin. In this case it became whos really the big bad wolf and the predatory villain if there’s any at all. It really played and shifted the emotional tone throughout the movie in neat unexpected ways. They especially played with your emotional connections to the characters. It sets up and breaks preconceptions and shows you sorta how narrative can effect how your view people and what they represent. There’s a bit of caution as well about surfaces and expectations and viewing the world through a screen. How it can affect innocent people. Loved the ending. The visual style was pretty awesome as well. Like a buzzard juxtaposed blend of styles. At times it was like a really excellent ad visually at others like a music video while at other kinda art house with the wide shots. Anyway, very hard to summarize and probably gonna disappoint thouse who rent it for the cover think they’re gonna get some sorta skinamax thing

I stopped going to the movies back when you bought your tickets from a real person sitting in a ticket booth, paying with your cash. But I made exception last night and went to see the documentary that has been talked about and caused a few controversies, including a cancellation and bans in places like Toronto and New York. The Rise of Jordan Peterson.
MV5BZmYyNmNkN2ItODYxNi00MjA1LThkNDQtNTI3YmVkN2ZkNjM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTcyNjgzNzQ@._V1_.jpg

Of course, you can watch all his lectures and speaking engagements on YouTube but the movie was about his interactions with people in his inner circle, like his children and wife. His persona is larger than life and they keep him in check and this in turn shows us a real person behind the charisma that he exudes. I was amazed with all the fantastic artwork on the walls of his home and the way it impacts the way you feel when you are surrounded by drama and poetry. I mean, you have to be a pretty radical person if you can put up a painting of Lenin in your bedroom. There is never a dull moment in that home, these things trigger your mind and provoke your thoughts.

The company men. It was fine. Some nice actors and performances and some parts were good and realistic but some parts were also very cringy and stretched the believability of the main characters actions and choices a bit to much to make a cliched point. The ending was also a bit unrealistic

Wolves. A pretty good movie if a bit unoriginal all the way up til the end which was way to right on silly and ridiculous. It’s not really the events that were the problem but the way they did it broke all the tension they built with the rest of the movie. I feel like they tried to hard to have a big climax and just shoved everything into the last ten min. It was like a laugh in a horror movie at a critical Moment, you just can’t regain the spell necessary to make the movie a success.

Now I know where Cirque du Soleil got their costume inspirations. Interesting animation and story.

Don't remember seeing that one but I saw "Time Masters" when I was just a kid and it left quite an impression. I've just watched excerpts on yt and I can't get over how highbrow the dialogues were. Here it is in full...from 40.00 for J.Marr fans :lbf:...

As for me, I watch more simple films now.
For spinsters, I recommend a quiet little film like "the bookshop". It still has the hottest sex scene on a beach I've ever seen.
I used to trust Rotten Tomatoes ratings, but it's made me watch so much garbage recently that I don't anymore. :rolleyes:

I also enjoyed "light of my life" "Brooklyn" "the children act" "green book" (in which Viggo picks up trash:horny:) "a vigilante"" the kindergarten teacher" "nocturnal animals"...

Lady-like. Meh. Could have used a story and some actors. Wasn’t terrible or anything but it felt like there was a better version of this movie hiding in there somewhere and the budget was probably the issue

this was a really amazing adaptation of great expectations. for some reason they did 19th century literary adaptations so much better in the 30s and 40s than they do now. they didn't fill them full of cheese and hyped-up sexuality and false edginess. all of the actors in it, even the children actor, were just perfect. old joe the blacksmith just breaks your heart. and I thought the scene where the young boy challenged young pip to a fight was really funny. and look how pretty jean simmons as young estella was:

highly recommend :rabbitface::rabbitface::rabbitface::rabbitface:

I would love it. Where did you watch it?

I stopped going to the movies back when you bought your tickets from a real person sitting in a ticket booth, paying with your cash. But I made exception last night and went to see the documentary that has been talked about and caused a few controversies, including a cancellation and bans in places like Toronto and New York. The Rise of Jordan Peterson.
MV5BZmYyNmNkN2ItODYxNi00MjA1LThkNDQtNTI3YmVkN2ZkNjM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTcyNjgzNzQ@._V1_.jpg

Of course, you can watch all his lectures and speaking engagements on YouTube but the movie was about his interactions with people in his inner circle, like his children and wife. His persona is larger than life and they keep him in check and this in turn shows us a real person behind the charisma that he exudes. I was amazed with all the fantastic artwork on the walls of his home and the way it impacts the way you feel when you are surrounded by drama and poetry. I mean, you have to be a pretty radical person if you can put up a painting of Lenin in your bedroom. There is never a dull moment in that home, these things trigger your mind and provoke your thoughts.

I don't understand the fascination. I see more charisma than substance in that man.

I don't understand the fascination. I see more charisma than substance in that man.
I tend to agree and what we see here are a generation of very lost men who need validation from another man. Most of what he says is quite ridiculous and things you've heard before. Why would any man need reminding that it is good to pet a cat?
He's not dealing with science either as the field he works in is just full of people with theories based on nothing. I would want to ask him what life as a charlatan is like but then he would finish the whole bottle like the weak pathetic alcoholic that he is.
Men who never had a dad are really sad and look to other men for confirmation and support but they never choose good role models. If you see charisma in him then I see a depressed man who never got anything in life that he wanted and his only choice in the end was to become a bitter misogynist.
There is no brains in that guy whatsoever and he should marry Greta when she turns 18. His first experience of a woman and his first shag cause there is no way that man ever got laid.

Free fire was pretty great. There deal goes bad and all the characters in the warehouse are all almost immediately shot multiple times but no one is shot fatally. The case with the money is on the floor in the middle of the room along with the assault rifles. Really funny but not in a super obvious way. Neat idea for a movie

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom