The first couple in the world to marry at Salford Lads Club - Manchester Evening News

Iconic building will stage couple's big day in May

Excerpt:

Joy Ainsley can't wait to tie the knot with her charming man.

There might even be a vicar in a tutu.

For they will be the first couple in the world to marry at Salford Lads Club since it got a licence to stage weddings.

The red-brick Edwardian building has global iconic status after being used for a photo shoot of The Smiths.

The image, by Stephen Wright is now displayed in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

It was used on the inner-sleeve of The Queen Is Dead album from 1986, and later on T-shirts to raise vital funds for the club.

Joy, 45, and the groom, Dean Baylin, 46, are life-long fans of the band and Morrissey. They even take their teenage children to see Mozza in concert.

At Christmas they each intend to have a Salford Lads Club tattoo.

Joy said: "We can't believe that we can now officially get married at Salford Lads Club. We're lifelong Smiths and Morrissey fans and have seen Morrissey 33 times.

"My fiancé Dean, popped the question outside the club last year and we have visited it numerous times, had tours, and been to the club attending other events.

"We've taken so many photos inside and outside the club, and we've recreated the album photo pose outside with friends, that it feels like a second home.

“The wedding itself will be very much in a Smiths-vintage style and our bridesmaids will be wearing Doc Martens with their hair done in victory rolls and guests will receive Smiths and Salford Lads Club themed wedding favours to keep forever.

"We even have a Manchester band playing -The Lottery Winners - who have just been signed by Warner Records by the legendary A&R, Seymour Stein, who also signed The Smiths and has dubbed them as the best thing he's heard since The Smiths!.

“The band who are huge Smiths fans themselves, will play 'There Is A Light That Never Will Go Out at the ceremony, which is also featured on their current lockdown covers album Sounds of Isolation.”

Built in 1903, and opened the next year by Lord Baden-Powell, the building at the corner of Coronation Street and St Ignatius Walk in Ordsall, has been granted a licence to hold weddings, civil partnerships, civil services and vow renewals.

full

Also:

Oh dont worry I am not offended, We were just happy to raise the SLC profile. I actually said that to the press officer and they insisted that we will be the first, as the headline says. The last couple did not legally 'get married' there.
Hi Joy.

Both Jo and I wish you all the very best. We know you will have a fantastic day, with fantastic staff in a fantastic iconic venue. We just feel that what we did 4 years ago was to get married. Semantics aside, we got married here.

Our issue is not with you guys. Far from.it. we are thrilled that others are able to experience what we did. Our issue is with the disappointing attitude that ours was not a real wedding when it absolutely was.

Hi Joy.

Both Jo and I wish you all the very best. We know you will have a fantastic day, with fantastic staff in a fantastic iconic venue. We just feel that what we did 4 years ago was to get married. Semantics aside, we got married here.

Our issue is not with you guys. Far from.it. we are thrilled that others are able to experience what we did. Our issue is with the disappointing attitude that ours was not a real wedding when it absolutely was.
Yes, I was sure I'd read about the first wedding (yours) a while ago, which came to mind when I read about this second wedding, but I couldn't find the article anywhere. Why don't you write to the venue (SLC Leisure people) and to the Harrogate Advertiser and get them to write & issue a correction statement for the article?

P.S. Congrats to you both btw.

Hi Joy.

Hi Neil
Thank you, I am sure we will.
I completely understand and if I hadnt of seen the photo of you guys getting married here I wouldnt have enquired, so thank you.
I was as surprised as you when the press officer contacted us for a story as I did not realise you werent the first. But like I say its about raising the profile of the club and keeping Moz current.
I hope we enjoy the day as much as you and Jo did.
Much love
Joy

Yes, I was sure I'd read about the first wedding (yours) a while ago, which came to mind when I read about this second wedding, but I couldn't find the article anywhere. Why don't you write to the venue (SLC Leisure people) and to the Harrogate Advertiser and get them to write & issue a correction statement for the article?

P.S. Congrats to you both btw.

Not going there,. Thrilled for anyone who does what we did. Just gutted to have our moment made out as 2nd class

I'm just hoping the loud, loutish lover doesn't turn up & spoil the day.
The loud loutish lover IS the groom. Not a separate person. It's just a different way to describe him.
That song is about the loss of a friend to a doomed marriage, not a bloody... Orgy

If you want a "Moz themed" wedding or there be a possibility that California's Son may even show up (not for you). Have it at Los Panchos taco shop on potato taco Tuesday or DeSanos during veggie pizza Thursdays. Both located in beautiful Moz Angeles, you know where Morrissey was actually born!

Why do you people latch on to a place that was used as a one off photo op. when he was in the smiths? You know HE NEVER WENT BACK THERE. You people are so pathetic.

If you want a "Moz themed" wedding or there be a possibility that California's Son may even show up (not for you). Have it at Los Panchos taco shop on potato taco Tuesday or DeSanos during veggie pizza Thursdays. Both located in beautiful Moz Angeles, you know where Morrissey was actually born!

Why do you people latch on to a place that was used as a one off photo op. when he was in the smiths? You know HE NEVER WENT BACK THERE. You people are so pathetic.
Well he did go back, on his bike for the video of Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before.

Well he did go back, on his bike for the video of Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before.
Correct and the band also went back there for a photo shoot in the snow with Kevin Cummins

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom