Morrissey Central "The importance of an artist can be found in the efforts to silence him." (June 30, 2023)

IMG_5645.jpeg
IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg
IMG_5648.jpeg

unnamed-2.jpg

But still woke isn't an actual organised movement as such, a lot of it is the internet giving formerly isolated small groups combined power(including the very far right)and you would have to ban pushback and accountability etc to stop it. Sometimes it gets out of control but it isn't a fascist leader directing it, it's the roar of the crowd and it goes in both directions(e.g bud light/anti-pride lunacy).

Kathleen Stock is about a clash of values of inclusion, generations and waves of feminism, she was protested by her students, new woke versus her older version, most lesbians in the UK today don't agree with the lesbian purity stuff she and Bindel push for. she could have stuck with it, her Uni wasn't forcing her out and the protests weren't that bad from what i remember. Again it's that global internet noise that gets scary and threatening, so she felt like she had to leave her job. But she hasn't vanished from the planet she got an OBE in 2021, she's part of the establishment. It's an issue of modern communications and i'm not sure there's a real answer to it.
It's the roar of the crowd.
Really? Or is it a tiny minority shutting down debate?
Most lesbians in the UK today don't agree with the lesbian purity stuff she and Bindel push...
Source please. The problem is no one is really asking that question. Maybe they are afraid what they will find if they ask?
Most lesbians I know don't think someone with a penis is a woman just because they 'feel' that way inside. That is anecdotal I know but, as I say, wouldn't it be great if someone actually asked lesbians what they think?
This is the essence of the lie spun by the mainstream media. It is 'controversial' to think you can't change sex. Only an extremist would think that diversity doesn't make a society stronger. Moz is way out there on his own and beyond the pale with his horrible views - whereas the vast majority of ordinary people would totally agree with him.
When you really want to corrupt the young - teach them it is better to think the same, than to think differently.

Last edited:
He is an amazing artist with a place in pop history and culture that will stand the test of time, he has nothing left to prove to anyone. This 'look at my signature, look at my sales, I'm still a star' thing is utterly beneath him, it's absolutely embarrassing. Have some dignity Moz and stop depending on this stuff for validation and self esteem, you have achieved everything.
You're not wrong in theory but if all of that is true then why doesn't he have a deal? Why does he have two brand new records collecting dust in vaults?

Woke isn't even a real thing outside of the black consciousness movement. it's like the war on Christmas, it really only exists in conservative newsrooms.

Minority groups standing up for themselves and making a lot of noise isn't fascism.
You sure about that?

You're not wrong in theory but if all of that is true then why doesn't he have a deal? Why does he have two brand new records collecting dust in vaults?
His commercial clout has fallen off a cliff edge since 2018. He's gone from being an artist who could reliably sell 30,000 to 100,000+ albums, to one who can only be guaranteed to sell just over 5,000.
It's not a catastrophically small number - many other similar size acts have similar sales.
But he's currently expecting the offers he was typically made before 2019.

We as fans put a lot of importance on his legacy, I don't think record companies do. So it's about his current status which for several reasons is not great. I still think he could get a deal on a minor label... but he sees that as beneath him.

He could take all of that and self-release as a bold statement that he will not be "silenced" - but he doesn't want to do that either.

But still he got a major deal just last year.
And released 3 albums on major labels in the past 6 years.
So it's all rather exaggerated.

He can still easily get a deal as long as he is willing to cooperate to a certain extent.
Which he wasn't willing to do with Capitol, for obvious reasons.

Also .. though a little different …

“Marr confessed that the success of Aztec Camera who were their Rough Trade label mates, prompted him to write the song: “A couple of days before I wrote ‘This Charming Man’ I’d heard ‘Walk Out To Winter’ by Aztec Camera on BBC Radio 1, and I felt a little jealous,” he said. “My competitive urges kicked in. I felt that we needed something up-beat and in a major key for Rough Trade to get behind. That’s why I wrote it in the key of G, which to this day I rarely do. I knew that ‘This Charming Man’ would be our next single. I did the whole thing in one go into this TEAC 3-track tape recorder that I used to write on. I came up with the basic chords and immediately overdubbed the top line and intro riff.”

In this case it’s more through Marr’s ‘jealousy’ that inspired him. It depends on what you do with it, what it comes down to.

But the difference in what a indie guitar band can bring to the table, Marr simply destroys.

The other day I was watching an episode of Modern Love and Walk out to Winter played on the soundtrack. Great song.

This Charming Man?
Refreshing agile riffs by Johnny Marr combined with Morrissey's cinematic lyrics and unique voice. There's nothing like it.

But still he got a major deal just last year.
And released 3 albums on major labels in the past 6 years.
So it's all rather exaggerated.

He can still easily get a deal as long as he is willing to cooperate to a certain extent.
Which he wasn't willing to do with Capitol, for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately, I think his profile, i.e., how he's regarded has dropped quite a bit since 2017 when he signed with BMG. When BMG signed Morrissey they made this statement... Capitol still has said nothing. It would help to know what happened with Capitol to put it into some kind of context.

Still, I hope you are correct as it appears a major label deal is the only way we're going to get new music.

Last edited:
You're not wrong in theory but if all of that is true then why doesn't he have a deal? Why does he have two brand new records collecting dust in vaults

I don't think the issue has ever been that he can't get a deal - he just can't get the type of deals that he wants. He's 40 years into the job and you'd think that he would be at peace with his legacy, but he's still completely hung up on chart success and major labels like it's still 1985. Most artists his age are long past their peak and are releasing albums for the fans and to fill their time, not because they have fantasies of being No.1.

Yes, Morrissey, but how many arguments and fall-outs with record label people have you had? How many managers have you fired or discarded? Whether you like it or not is immaterial; to succeed in releasing and selling records you do have to play the game, at least a little bit. From Johnny Marr to Jo Slee to Joe Moss, from Sandie Shaw to Stephen Street, from Bowie to Boorer, from Rough Trade to EMI to RCA to Harvest to Capitol, is there anyone you haven't yet fallen out with, Darling?
There's no conspiracy to silence you. You are simply your own worst enemy.
Many don't want to be preached at from a reclusive, racist, multi millionaire.
Who thinks he's better than everyone else.
They're done lining his and his boyfriends bank account.

Yes, woke is fascism. It is the absolute prime example of fascism. "Believe what we tell you, do as we say, adhere to groupthink precepts, have complete adherence to and dependence on The State, or you will be punished."

Best material of his career? Yes. Absolutely.
Beards are fascism.

Moz should just upload his album to bandcamp like nicky wire (although nicky wire does it by choice, freely admitting he could probably get a studio to release it if he wanted)

I don't think the issue has ever been that he can't get a deal - he just can't get the type of deals that he wants. He's 40 years into the job and you'd think that he would be at peace with his legacy, but he's still completely hung up on chart success and major labels like it's still 1985. Most artists his age are long past their peak and are releasing albums for the fans and to fill their time, not because they have fantasies of being No.1.
That's often not the case, Amy. Plenty of acts of Morrissey's vintage are still doing well e.g. Paul Weller and Paul Heaton, with albums usually reaching no.1, not that that's a big deal in itself anymore (can be done on fewer than 10,000 sales).
The problem for Morrissey is not that he's 40 years into the job - it's that he suffered a catastrophic loss of fans and radio support between 2018 and 2019, for reasons that have been gone into countless times. 2017's Spent the Day in Bed was one of his biggest ever radio hits, and the early 2018 UK arena date was his most popular ever (most tickets were sold in late 2017 before all the Der Spiegel/For Britain etc. nonsense had really kicked in). It's this fairly recent seismic change in his fortunes that's the reason behind the current record deal situation.

That's often not the case, Amy. Plenty of acts of Morrissey's vintage are still doing well e.g. Paul Weller and Paul Heaton, with albums usually reaching no.1, not that that's a big deal in itself anymore (can be done on fewer than 10,000 sales).
The problem for Morrissey is not that he's 40 years into the job - it's that he suffered a catastrophic loss of fans and radio support between 2018 and 2019, for reasons that have been gone into countless times. 2017's Spent the Day in Bed was one of his biggest ever radio hits, and the early 2018 UK arena date was his most popular ever (most tickets were sold in late 2017 before all the Der Spiegel/For Britain etc. nonsense had really kicked in). It's this fairly recent seismic change in his fortunes that's the reason behind the current record deal situation.
You can keep repeating that stuff ad infinitum, it doesn’t make it any more true. He released two more albums on a major label since then. And he got offered a new deal just last year.

So the reason behind the current deal situation is a very different one.

It's the roar of the crowd.
Really? Or is it a tiny minority shutting down debate?
Most lesbians in the UK today don't agree with the lesbian purity stuff she and Bindel push...
Source please. The problem is no one is really asking that question. Maybe they are afraid what they will find if they ask?
Most lesbians I know don't think someone with a penis is a woman just because they 'feel' that way inside. That is anecdotal I know but, as I say, wouldn't it be great if someone actually asked lesbians what they think?

To be clear i'm talking about their idea(get the L out etc) that lesbians are under threat from the tiny .5% of the population that is trans, that Lesbians can't say no or they will be called bigots(people will if you go on and on about it i suppose). i make no claim about their preferences in sexual partners or willingness to be involved in a relationship. And yeah your right the polling isn't great and is a bit scarce on the topic.
New research by Just Like Us has found that lesbians are the most likely of the whole LGBTQ+ community to be supportive of trans people. Lesbians are the most likely to say they know a trans person (92%), and also the most likely to say they are “supportive” or “very supportive” of trans people (96%). That’s compared to 89% of LGBTQ+ people overall, and just 69% of non-LGBTQ+ people.
But that polling is for younger lesbians. Women tend to be more supportive in general anyway, age seems to be the biggest factor if anything within the various demographics.

I apologise for the derail though

You can keep repeating that stuff ad infinitum, it doesn’t make it any more true. He released two more albums on a major label since then. And he got offered a new deal just last year.

So the reason behind the current deal situation is a very different one.
Ad nauseam, actually.

Back
Top Bottom