The Smiths added to Trump rally music (January 23, 2024)

Not sure if this is a joke: tweet says Trump added Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want to his pre-rally music in Laconia, New Hampshire.

UPDATE 12:34PM PT:

Surface posted the link:

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures of the Trump sons on their infamous hunting safari, maybe. We know he hates those two. I suspect the line "have you seen the sad rich hunting down elephants and lions" was referring to them.
Never made that connection myself, but now that you say it, it sounds so plausible. Good point.

The Guardian eventually takes the hypocritical moral high-ground - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...s-songs-playing-at-donald-trump-rally-rallies

‘Where Morrissey has praised Brexit and expressed support for the far-right political party For Britain, Marr has spoken out against rightwing politics and politicians who like the Smiths.’.

And yet … the very same Guardian posted the article below

they can’t be bothered to do a little research, maybe they forgot what journalism is …

1706141784419.jpeg

Last edited:
https://deadline.com/2024/01/donald-trump-johnny-marr-smiths-songs-rallies-1235802878/

‘Where Morrissey has praised Brexit and expressed support for the far-right political party For Britain, Marr has spoken out against rightwing politics and politicians who like the Smiths.’.

they can’t be bothered to do a little research, maybe they forgot what journalism is …

View attachment 100915

The Guardian article is misleading to the point it's lying.

It's shameful for a broadsheet.

View attachment 100915

I think Morrissey needs to wake up and realise Biden will kill America way before Trump does.

Biden and Trump. It points to how corrupt and ineffectual US 'democracy' is that these two old dotards are going to be (once again) the electorate's options for President. Trump gets votes because people don't want Biden. Biden gets votes because people don't want Trump. But none of the voters have a hope in hell of getting what they really want - a President who will serve in the interests of the people.

That isn't true.

And he definately doesn't need more shit attached to his name.
It's true. The illegal immigration issue alone is doing a ton of damage.

LOL at 'one of the most depressing tunes of the 80s'

“Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want” isn’t an upbeat or motivational rally song. It’s one of the most maudlin tunes of the 1980s. Written by Marr and Smiths singer Morrissey, the slow, waltz-tempo song features lyrics such as “Haven’t had a dream in a long time/ See, the life I’ve had/ Can make a good man bad.” It’s the kind of song a 1980s goth teen would have listened to on her Walkman while glaring at the cool kids in the cafeteria.

Last edited:
I might vote for Trump because the far left movement is destructive to the entire globe as much as the far right. But that said, I absolutely feel sick seeing/hearing The Smiths playing over the speakers at a Trump rally.

twas the day before quarry,this thread is going to run forever.
imagine aliens landed in america and said take me to your leader,whether it was trump or biden they would jump back in the spaceship and get the hell outa there.

At this point I don't particularly care if Morrissey says anything or not (he's already missed the news cycle and I've seen at least 50 stories with Johnny's name in the headline, so that ship has sailed in terms of "who's keeping the Smiths flame alive" blah blah blah).

I just really want an investigative journalist inside the Republican primary campaign to find out how this ended up on Trump's rally playlist - it makes so little sense!

The Smiths being for a band for camp, vegetarian bookworms is a myth. Those pop nerds have exorcised their Morrissey demons via ebay and have moved on. If Morrissey could let go of his TDS he'd know he and Trump have way more in common than he realises. Free speech alone is a bus they could both sit on.

Personally if I were Trump I'd choose How Soon is Now. And yes Bigmouth Strikes Again would be too obvious ;)
Trump isn’t for free speech, catch him mentioning it and you’ll quickly recognise he actually referring to impunity—generally for himself.

At this point I don't particularly care if Morrissey says anything or not (he's already missed the news cycle and I've seen at least 50 stories with Johnny's name in the headline, so that ship has sailed in terms of "who's keeping the Smiths flame alive" blah blah blah).

I just really want an investigative journalist inside the Republican primary campaign to find out how this ended up on Trump's rally playlist - it makes so little sense!

Trump's team are really close to the "alt-right" - Morrissey has been widely shared by them as a "white nationalist" - his solo career has no cultural prestige whatsoever - so they're playing the Smiths.

Hmm, still nothing from Camp Morrissey. I don't know, it slightly feels like he chickened out of this discussion and I really don't know why. It's like @Phranc said, he's been given a penalty without a goal keeper, he just has to score the goal. I mean, he clearly doesn't like Trump if we take into account his past statements. So it seems to be a no-brainer, really. A few weeks ago, he stated "Hand in Glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath!" in regards to the Smiths legacy. I'm curious as to why he stays so silent. Has he changed his mind? Is it really, because he doesn't want to agree openly with Johnny or does he want to avoid any political discussion before his Quarry-shows? I'm at a loss here.

Hmm, still nothing from Camp Morrissey. I don't know, it slightly feels like he chickened out of this discussion and I really don't know why. It's like @Phranc said, he's been given a penalty without a goal keeper, he just has to score the goal. I mean, he clearly doesn't like Trump if we take into account his past statements. So it seems to be a no-brainer, really. A few weeks ago, he stated "Hand in Glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath!" in regards to the Smiths legacy. I'm curious as to why he stays so silent. Has he changed his mind? Is it really, because he doesn't want to agree openly with Johnny or does he want to avoid any political discussion before his Quarry-shows? I'm at a loss here.
Possible reasons why he hasn't said anything:

* He simply doesn't care
* Despite hating Trump, he quite possibly hates him less than Biden
* He's still secretly in love with Johnny and is doing everything he can to ensure that the Smiths legacy is seen as Johnny's, and not his
* He's jet-lagged
* He's hungover
* He's drunk
* He's hoping it will lead to an increase in royalties, from a new Trump-loving audience
* He's a contrary bastard and he viscerally hates doing what's expected of him

Any others?

Back
Top Bottom