The Smiths & Morrissey Rarities / FB Group: Recent photo of "Have-A-Go Merchant" promo cover star

Screenshot_20240403-002912.png

FB_IMG_1712100569701.jpg

Cover star of Have-A-Go Merchant.
The image was first published in Nick Knight's 1982 book "Skinhead".
Said page:

Screenshot_20240403-004059.png

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is up with Morrissey's fascination with skinheads or the skinhead culture?
The romance of crime, lad culture, working class English culture, the gang mentality, the music, the clothes.

I didn't know there was a promo version of Have-A-Go Merchant and hadn't seen this pic before. Always assumed the song was just a b-side on Boxers. It's not the most complimentary of songs to be on the cover of - and he seems a likeable chap.
Going for 89 quid on Ebay.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Love the promo asswellass the TMYIMTCIG promo with Moz and his best friend/brother/photographer/lover on the payroll.

The romance of crime, lad culture, working class English culture, the gang mentality, the music, the clothes.
I'm not sure......never was........if anything Moz is a rocker. Skinheads thankfully disappeared in the 80's for the most part. They were the most violent and aggressive of all UK sub-cultures.

Yeah, that and, I always speculated the British skinhead culture represented an England to him that no longer exists. Around the same time he was singing of it’s ‘death’ and American cultures hand in that, with such songs as Glamorous Glue and We’ll Let You Know. Though being the contrarian he is, he would eventually move to L.A.

There's no great skinhead music.........unless you're counting reggae.
I’m most definitely counting early ska and reggae. Absolutely magnificent music. But also bands like The Oppressed and The Angelic Upstarts. And the 2-Tone stuff. I don’t know how much of a puritan you are, but this is some great music associated with skinhead culture.

He worked with 2 gay music video directors.

There was a skinhead gay subculture in the 80s & 90s - it's still around.

He'd given an interview to a gay magazine founded in a gay pub were skinheads gathered.

He sent a postcard featuring a gay skinhead taken from a gay newspaper.

Probably a bit of a gay thing.

Yeah, that and, I always speculated the British skinhead culture represented an England to him that no longer exists. Around the same time he was singing of it’s ‘death’ and American cultures hand in that, with such songs as Glamorous Glue and We’ll Let You Know. Though being the contrarian he is, he would eventually move to L.A.

It wasn't dead.

I think his "nostalgia" is for the days that are dead. It can never be 1967 again. You can never be at that place with those people doing that thing at that time again.

He writes a lot about death.

‘London is dead’. Dead to him.

Yes, exactly. That’s what I mean.

and life.

The skinhead culture wasn't dead. It had become very fashionable in a corner of London.

I've been interviewing some skinheads who were around in the 80s/90s. I went back to university part time - so that's what I'm working on. I was surprised how under-reseached it is. There's vast archives that haven't been sorted.

He worked with 2 gay music video directors.

There was a skinhead gay subculture in the 80s & 90s - it's still around.

He'd given an interview to a gay magazine founded in a gay pub were skinheads gathered.

He sent a postcard featuring a gay skinhead taken from a gay newspaper.

Probably a bit of a gay thing.
But our Mozi is humasexual, not homosexual.

Back
Top Bottom