The Smiths & Morrissey Rarities / FB Group: Recent photo of "Have-A-Go Merchant" promo cover star

Screenshot_20240403-002912.png

FB_IMG_1712100569701.jpg

Cover star of Have-A-Go Merchant.
The image was first published in Nick Knight's 1982 book "Skinhead".
Said page:

Screenshot_20240403-004059.png

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagery is what a director does.

Huh? you said … ‘I think he was using gay skinhead imagery.’

I wouldn’t label any of the skinhead imagery Morrissey used publicly as gay.

What makes it gay to you? And which images?

I think the vibe he was going for - was attractive male energy & girls defying gender roles.
What’s gay about that?
But he did send a postcard of an actual gay skinhead.

(Barry from Brighton, where are you now?)
You mean privately? Because we’re talking about the images he used publicly I thought, and the reason we think he does so.
Also - look at this bloody annoying bit from a 1994 article on gay pop in Time Out -

View attachment 103081

Hundreds of inflammatory articles & accusations all because they want to know about his sex life.

That is the British press in a nutshell.

But aren’t you doing the same by labeling his
use of skinhead imagery as gay?

I didn't know there was a promo version of Have-A-Go Merchant and hadn't seen this pic before. Always assumed the song was just a b-side on Boxers. It's not the most complimentary of songs to be on the cover of - and he seems a likeable chap.
A gorgeous touching song that got an airing in London 2022

If I'd been around I probably would have ended up in those pubs/clubs at some point.

I found some fabulous footage of Tara Newley doing cabaret.

And a writer is trying to dig up the script for a play about a gay skinhead from the early 80s for me.

View attachment 103077

Is Tara related to Anthony? What is the production there? Fascinating project you're working on :thumb:

Huh? you said … ‘I think he was using gay skinhead imagery.’

I wouldn’t label any of the skinhead imagery Morrissey used publicly as gay.

What makes it gay to you? And which images?

What’s gay about that?

You mean privately? Because we’re talking about the images he used publicly I thought, and the reason we think he does so.

But aren’t you doing the same by labeling his
use of skinhead imagery as gay?

If you're a man interested in attractive men that tends to be a gay thing.

The postcard was work related.

My point was - the press always thought his imagery was gay & instead of being direct about it they made false allegations that insinuated it.

Last edited:

My point was - the press always thought his imagery was gay & instead of being direct about it they false allegations that insinuated it.

Work related? Whattttttt????

My point was - the press always thought his imagery was gay & instead of being direct about it they false allegations that insinuated it.

Yes, but I don’t think Morrissey’s use of skinhead imagery, where the men can be seen as attractive, as Morrissey’s main intention in using that imagery. Of course it’s open to that interpretation by you and music journalists that want to see it that way.

Now of course, I am not saying in anyway that
other images Morrissey has used and uses can’t be seen as homoerotic or more accurately … humaerotic.

Yes, but I don’t think Morrissey’s use of skinhead imagery, where the men can be seen as attractive, as Morrissey’s main intention in using that imagery. Of course it’s open to that interpretation by you and music journalists that want to see it that way.

Now of course, I am not saying in anyway that
other images Morrissey has used and uses can’t be seen as homoerotic or more accurately … humaerotic.

I think this is little more erotic, than nostalgic.

20240403_231854.jpg

As above so below.

well, that’s in the eye of the beholder, I would think.

Erotic? nostalgic? Morrissey can have both.

I think he was terrified of skinheads in the 70s - then discovered there was this part of their culture he could belong to.

Maybe also looking for an alternative style if the quiff died. It was really was clinging on.

I didn't know there was a promo version of Have-A-Go Merchant and hadn't seen this pic before. Always assumed the song was just a b-side on Boxers. It's not the most complimentary of songs to be on the cover of - and he seems a likeable chap.
Going for 89 quid on Ebay.

I'm pretty sure it's in Peepholism.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's been posted on here - it was to the lead singer of Bradford at the time he'd been working with them & been gifted the Skins book.
Bradford occasionally get a mention on George Galloway’s show now (I gather they’re back together). Fans of each other.

This was on the intro music in ‘95: the volume was always ratcheted up, just before it came on—and it didn’t go down for 90 minutes. Great track.

Bradford occasionally get a mention on George Galloway’s show now (I gather they’re back together). Fans of each other.

This was on the intro music in ‘95: the volume was always ratcheted up, just before it came on—and it didn’t go down for 90 minutes. Great track.

Probably.

A few musicians have spiraled in odd directions online since the pandemic.

There's a musical in development about the spiraling - partly inspired by John Lydon. The songs are great - so hopefully it sees the light of day. The book is the problem - how harsh/sympathetic to be.

Used to have a houseful of ( male)skinheads live down the road from us, approx 1982/3..
It was quite a big corner terraced house where they all gathered, sniffed glue and listened to Madness and Oi music and would threaten to beat you up unless you let them play football with you (badly in their Doc Martens to be fair).
They also revelled in writing extremely non-PC graffiti.
If any of them were gay they were definitely in the closet at that time.

I've watched various interviews with former skinheads of about Sean Nevin's age on YouTube in the last few years. Whilst there are acknowledgements that the movement contained a violent, even neo-nazi, element, in general they are adamant that being a skinhead was primarily about the look - hair, clothes, boots - and the music. However, my own closest contact in person was with an Essex woman who once boasted to me that her skinhead brother, a West Ham FC supporter, would go up to London at weekends in the late 1970s expressly to do a bit of Paki-bashing with his mates. Coincidentally, the woman (a big Frank Sinatra fan and now a grandmother) had the surname Harrington, so I think of her every time I look at Mporium.

Back
Top Bottom