What does everyone think of the new songs?

Oh, if everything in life will be like On the whole I like what I'm hearing, but I'm not in love with it - life will be almost/very nearly perfect. ;)
By the way, this is very Morrissey-ish sentence On the whole I like what I'm hearing, but I'm not in love with it :thumb:

Why thank you - high praise indeed.

I've listened to them all again this afternoon. I wanted to give them a chance.

But, like others have commented...there is no imagination, no tunes, no progression, nothing. Just late-era-Morrissey-by-numbers. How anyone thought any of these passed muster is beyond me. Alain Whyte must be despairing. There's a man with an ear for a tune. On the evidence of what's been aired so far, I cannot find a tune. There is literally nothing there. And the lyrics.....the well has truly run dry. In truth, it ran dry some time ago.

THESE NEW SONGS ARE AMAZING , Can't wait to see the video ! :)

But, like others have commented...there is no imagination, no tunes, no progression, nothing. Just late-era-Morrissey-by-numbers. How anyone thought any of these passed muster is beyond me. Alain Whyte must be despairing. There's a man with an ear for a tune. On the evidence of what's been aired so far, I cannot find a tune. There is literally nothing there. And the lyrics.....the well has truly run dry. In truth, it ran dry some time ago.

Alain Whyte wrote some gems but he wrote so much plodding rubbish too. Think of a dull plodding Morrissey song between 95 and 2013 and the chances are Whyte probably wrote the music.
As for the new songs, tunes/melodies are subjective things - maybe they're great, maybe they're rubbish. But what do you mean by progression? A different sound?
Spent the Day is dominated by electric piano with an almost funk type rhythm - he's never done that before. And the rhythm and piano playing on 'All the Young People' is like nothing he's sung over, Smith or solo. Fair enough not to like the new songs but to imply it's Morrissey by numbers makes no sense (unless you mean the other songs which I haven't yet listened to).

It seems you have listened to them a lot.

As for the new songs, tunes/melodies are subjective things - maybe they're great, maybe they're rubbish. But what do you mean by progression? A different sound?
Spent the Day is dominated by electric piano with an almost funk type rhythm - he's never done that before. And the rhythm and piano playing on 'All the Young People' is like nothing he's sung over, Smith or solo. Fair enough not to like the new songs but to imply it's Morrissey by numbers makes no sense (unless you mean the other songs which I haven't yet listened to).
:thumb:

give people at solo something new,and they'll still complain.

If it's not as good as the song below, then they just can't be bothered to think for themselves.

:D

Alain Whyte wrote some gems but he wrote so much plodding rubbish too. Think of a dull plodding Morrissey song between 95 and 2013 and the chances are Whyte probably wrote the music.

Agreed. Unless it's some sort of math rock it's not gonna count as any sort of progression to some

Whatever else it is, it most certainly is not profound. It's the very opposite of profound. And it's tuneless.

But to say it is very superficial is a bit harsh too.
There is a notion of the romantic of course with the advise to all the young people to fall in love.
But what do you want him to say? All the young people must NOT fall in love?
I felt it was a happy song and very different to the majority of his songs. Except perhaps, for Kiss Me A Lot.
Although Urbanus disagreed with me and said it was a typical tongue in cheek Moz song and in fact sings All The Young People Must NOT Fall In Love.
I have to admit, it could be.
We'll never know.

the National dedicating a song to M on Jools ! I'm sure he was touched. :ha-no:

Not that very much touched by most of The National songs but I must say that " Carin At The Liquorstore " was very good and I really, really liked it.
Despite what Moz thinks about it.

But to say it is very superficial is a bit harsh too.
There is a notion of the romantic of course with the advise to all the young people to fall in love.
But what do you want him to say? All the young people must NOT fall in love?
I felt it was a happy song and very different to the majority of his songs. Except perhaps, for Kiss Me A Lot.
Although Urbanus disagreed with me and said it was a typical tongue in cheek Moz song and in fact sings All The Young People Must NOT Fall In Love.
I have to admit, it could be.
We'll never know.

I think it a sweet song and connects to the theme of spent the day imo. The idea that maybe we shouldn't get so caught up in the conflicts dominating the public discourse making everyone take such extreme sides where friends and family have turned away from each other in anger leaving them enemies and focus on ourselves and something as innocent and positive and good for us as falling in love. Presidents and politics will come and go and if we take such causes as absolute representations of good and evil it's not gonna leave us very happy and won't solve any issues imo and will only create new problems perpetually

thought the lyric weak.

Maybe, but as I really like some Moz songs too which were deemed by critical voices as lyrically weak I don't care.
The music compensates for the lyrical weak spots.

I don't know that much about The National but when I heard them I noticed a slight influence from Eels.
Not in the music or singing but in the atmosphere of the music.

Maybe, but as I really like some Moz songs too which were deemed by critical voices as lyrically weak I don't care.
The music compensates for the lyrical weak spots.

I don't know that much about The National but when I heard them I noticed a slight influence from Eels.
Not in the music or singing but in the atmosphere of the music.

'which were deemed by critical voices' I think those voices are critically weak and their owners.. in need of a hug.

The National would gladly give their first born in exchange for the ability to write just one song as great as this new batch of M songs. :cool:

'but when I heard them I noticed a slight influence from Eels'

yes, they sound like eels or any bottom feeder you care to mention.

Have listened to the new songs a fair few times since Monday by now.
Here is my 'chart' (so far):

1. Home Is A Question Mark - a really solid Morrissey song, reminiscent of his mid 90s material
2. I Wish You Lonely - very good
3. My Love, I'd Do Anything For You
4. Jacky - just ok at the moment, though I sense it will grow on me
5. When You Open Your Legs - ditto
6. Spent The Day In Bed - not my cup of tea, HATE that keyboard (though I admit it's a catchy song overall)
7. All The Young People - awful, there is just no excuse for this song

Based on what we have heard so far, I believe Low In High School will be a better album than World Peace, which pleases me no end.

Straight in at number 3: My Love, I'd Do Anything For You.

I think it sorta amusing that in some ways a few of the new songs have a sort of late seventies early eighties sound. They may be very different from each other but all the young people, the retro keyboard sound on spent the day and the heavy doom rock of my love is all sorta sound like they're sourced from that time period. Also I like the elephant sounding wail at the beginning of my love

'Some may find it trite, but I do think it's a very profound statement in this time of high anxiety.'

:thumb:

M has honed his lyrics to the bare essentials and what we are left with is what is only important. Who else dares in modern music? to simply look and see and say.. and yes.. profound... to the point and with that voice... it all tumbles out... truth, poetry, like no other.

Has he honed them, or is he succumbing to the simplification of music and lyrics in the 21st century? I'm not saying you're wrong, or I'm right, just an alternate way of looking at it. I sometimes wonder if the problem with all long term artists, is that they simply aren't hungry for "it" once they reach a certain level of comfort and fame.

Back
Top Bottom