Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
From interviews I've read she said she was glad the industry turned its back on her, that becoming a popstar is where things went wrong in her life and she was happier to have her freedom to be herself back.

Feels like he's talking about himself, I don't think the industry rejection bothered her like it did Moz, the crowds in the US turning on her did and I'd rather her own statements being used for that kind of commentary

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
You are so ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ! Many thanks for speaking up ! Respect.

I'm torn after reading Moz's post. In many ways he is right but the most important outcome from today is that a woman has died and is sadly missed by her children, her fans, music fans in general, and anyone with empathy. Now is not the time for digs at the music industry and music critics, and now is definitely not the time for Moz to make comparisons to his own mistreatment by the mangled music machine.

Sinead was ahead of her time in many ways and it took years for people to catch up with her. Three kids are without a mother. The world is now without Sinead. Everything else pales in significance to that. Her death is not a battery for the torch to illuminate the shortcomings of the music indcan understand ustry. At least not yet when this is too raw.

I've read Moz's statement a few times and can feel his anger and frustration at the two-faced world. I can see and accept his points. He is being honest. I think I'm (like a lot of us) still reeling from the news today. I have a Sinead 7" of Don't Cry For Me Argentina with Ave Maria as b-side. Playing it now but it's very hard not to get emotional.
I can understand your vision but dissagree that this is to make comparisons to his own mistreatment by the mangled music machine. It is a wake up call for all two-faced artists that were never there to support here when needed, only thinking about their own success.

So angry. In many ways he is right - she was mocked and humiliated by the media and this 'legend' stuff is pap - but Sinead's problems were intensely personal and went far beyond being dropped by a record label. Sometimes it's like Moz is so tunnel-visioned, he can't help but insert his own situation into these rants. Sinead suffered and lost a son to suicide just last year, I think she had far greater concerns than record labels, Moz.
I dissagree! For sure the problems went far beyond being dropped by a record label. This is not the point Moz wants to make. It is the behaviour of the "so called" colleauges and record labels that were never there to support, just thinking about themselves.

I dissagree! For sure the problems went far beyond being dropped by a record label. This is not the point Moz wants to make. It is the behaviour of the "so called" colleauges and record labels that were never there to support, just thinking about themselves.

It's complicated given what she did, some people stood up for her, people like Frank Sinatra wanted her beaten up, the big problem was the people/crowds turned on her not the music industry.

https://www.georgetakei.com/this-st...pe-controversy-is-a-must-read-2626587819.html

I'm torn after reading Moz's post. In many ways he is right but the most important outcome from today is that a woman has died and is sadly missed by her children, her fans, music fans in general, and anyone with empathy. Now is not the time for digs at the music industry and music critics, and now is definitely not the time for Moz to make comparisons to his own mistreatment by the mangled music machine.

Sinead was ahead of her time in many ways and it took years for people to catch up with her. Three kids are without a mother. The world is now without Sinead. Everything else pales in significance to that. Her death is not a battery for the torch to illuminate the shortcomings of the music industry. At least not yet when this is too raw.

I've read Moz's statement a few times and can feel his anger and frustration at the two-faced world. I can see and accept his points. He is being honest. I think I'm (like a lot of us) still reeling from the news today. I have a Sinead 7" of Don't Cry For Me Argentina with Ave Maria as b-side. Playing it now but it's very hard not to get emotional.
If not now WHEN? Im a female singer songwrite, who was offered to be signed at 20 by Sony, and refused as feared the business.. As my experience was the abuse and use of women, to sexualise and offer us up as some object. Do you think Sinead would want Morrissey to stay silent NO!!!!! Sinead would applaud him! Sinead NEVER stayed silent. Oh and u talk of her family who miss her ?? Where the f*** were they when she was crying on the internet..

Sinead wasnt ahead of her times, she just sang from the heart! Why shouldnt her death be a torch! Why not shine the light on the EVIL music business who often see artist spiral out of control and seem to love it, as they know if the worst happens and they kill themself then their records will sell more.

The fact her label dumped her is sick. No musicians should be with record companies, musicians should join together and create their own label with backing from banks, and leave the capitalitsic PIGS out of it!!!!!

Just a thought?

No offense, but you’re sounding a little like one of those useless turd politicians who, in the wake of a senseless mass shooting, “Now is not the time to talk about gun control. Let’s just mourn the dead.” We can have both.
indeed, you are correct. Better still, the conversation needs to happen when it's impact will be most felt, which is now. waiting to talk about the causes will cause the converstation to either not happen or be too soft

So angry. In many ways he is right - she was mocked and humiliated by the media and this 'legend' stuff is pap - but Sinead's problems were intensely personal and went far beyond being dropped by a record label. Sometimes it's like Moz is so tunnel-visioned, he can't help but insert his own situation into these rants. Sinead suffered and lost a son to suicide just last year, I think she had far greater concerns than record labels, Moz.
Moz aint tunnel-visioned, it seems you are the one who thinks one dimentionally with all due respect :D As humans we are affected by everything in our life, at 56 Sinead had billions of events that traumatised her.. Being dumped by your record company after selling 7 million records would crush anyone. While clearly the most important trauma to Sinead would have been loosing her son, but if she wasnt so broken, she would have rather risen up and highlighed suicide, put in place something to help other people, set up a trust in Shanes name, that what I would want to do if my son killed himself, to make his death not in vein, but our Sinead was crushed and humiliated by the Music Business and the Press. When she tore the photo of the evil pope do you think she thought the world would burn her records and hate her for it, she must have believed she was going to achieve something possitive from this...
I just know Sinead would want us to speak for her, as she hadnt the strength to anymore

This is a very good interview with Sinéad O'Connor. She really verbalises why the music industry has little, or nothing, to do with art. Indeed, the industry does everything to crush the art out of the artist.
Her rendition of Irish Ways and Irish Laws, from about 16'25'' in, is spine tingling.

Such a special human being and artist.

Rest in peace, beautiful soul. :rose:

It is crazy to think, how many of our female great artists have died due to the truama they suffered in major part due to the way their own record companies treated them, and the press. The way that even female artists such as Madonna, weather u like her music or not, she should be give mega respect for being such a prolific and successful artist, but the press constantly rip her to pieces, say shes too old to perform. As a female singer songwriting musician I am petrified of the business, and have refused to get signed, rather performing in clubs as just an annonymous human, much more fun, and safe, sure would have loved the millions, but would rather be alive and not humiliated like; Janis, Billy, Bessie, Oddeta, Whitney, Amy, Karen Carpenter, so many others, and now our Sinead! All whose death one could certainly place a major portion of the blame on the steps of the Music Business and the Press. Women are still not treated well in the Music Business, unless u please the men in the business, play the dumb fool, be a sexual object, have nothing of meaning to say, and are so frankly brainwashed that swing on big balls you deem liberation for women Miley Cyrus! Miley Cyrus is an amazing talent who sadly thinks she has to strip off all the time, as clearly she doesnt think her just standing their singing her beautiful songs is enough.

I can’t believe I agree with Morrissey, but he’s right on Sinéad O’Connor

I don’t often agree with Morrissey, but I thought he put it well when he raged that “the cruel play-pen of fame gushes with praise” for Sinéad O’Connor now she has died, but “hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you.”

He’s right: Sinéad paid a hard price for her honesty. She was mocked, ignored and sidelined by a music industry that has become sterile and safe.

Opinion piece by Chas Newkey-Burden.
FWD.

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
f***ing 'A.'

Okay, let him carry on making the traditional posts about XY and X dying, whilst inevitably putting some inane “woe is me” comment in his “eulogy “ (it’s actually allaboutmelogy).
Wow just found this forum, as Love Morrissey and so sad to find people like you, who clearly have no respect for Moz, why do people like u post on forums of people u clearly dont respect? There are billions of places u could go to share yr joy, or feelings... but u chose to go to peoples sites to ridicule them. Please start writing a gratitude diary, and start writing to your inner child, and find love in yr heart, find why you may not be as compassionate as u could be. I wish you happiness, I wish you Joy, I wish you a wonderful life, sprinkled with many occasions of joy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom