Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good that Skinny has been on to tell us it's all about the money and always has been.
Think that's the 10th year in a row. I love familiarity.

I don't think this statement deserves that much venom. He IS being written out of Smiths history, and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. There's also nothing wrong with defending oneself.
Outside of Smiths fans, I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t identify the band with Morrissey (and frequently Morrissey alone). His legacy is secure. He, evidently, isn’t. But I doubt that Marr is immediately responsible for that.

Snip... ✂️

.... There is a time when M's words about Andy would on their own steam have been worthy of coverage as a new item / article, however they largely only appeared as minor features in the music media. The coverage of Andy's death in the UK was more significant than I thought it would be, which does reflect that over recent years the stock of the Smiths continues to rise and I think it i fair to say they are now commonly accepted as one of the handful of the best UK bands ever (certainly in terms of ones who are appraised seriously for the quality of the musical and lyrical content). With the ascent of the Smith brand and profile forever on the up, it should concern Morrissey that his is so much on the wane, even in the context of his greatest work being with the band.

NME: Morrissey shares tribute to The Smiths bassist Andy Rourke

Pitchfork: Morrissey Eulogizes the Smiths' Andy Rourke: "He Will Never Die as Long as His Music Is ...

Far Out: Morrissey shares tribute to The Smiths bassist Andy Rourke

Rolling Stone UK: Morrissey shares personal tribute to Andy Rourke

Rolling Stone USA: Johnny Marr, Morrissey, New Order Pay Tribute to the Smiths Bassist Andy Rourke

Billboard: Morrissey Pens Warm Tribute to Late Smiths Bassist Andy Rourke

LA Times: 'A kind and beautiful soul': Morrissey, Johnny Marr, more pay tribute to Smiths' Andy...

The Independent: Morrissey: Andy Rourke will never die as long as his music is heard

Mixdown: Read Morrissey's Eulogy for the Smiths' Andy Rourke: "He didn't ever know his own power"

Daily Mail: Morrissey pays tribute to The Smiths bassist Andy Rourke

Metro: Morrissey pays tribute to late Smiths bandmate Andy Rourke following his death

Stereogum: Morrissey Shares Tribute To "Beam Of Light" Andy Rourke

Spin: Former Smiths Bandmates Morrissey,
Johnny Marr, Mike Joyce Salute Andy Rourke

Radio X: Morrissey pays tribute to former
Smiths bandmate Andy Rourke

Manchester Evening News: Morrissey: 'Andy Rourke will never die as long as his music is heard'

Consequence: Morrissey Honors Late Andy Rourke: "He Will Never Die as Long as His Music Is Heard"

Music Week: Johnny Marr, Morrissey, Mike Joyce lead tributes to Andy Rourke

BBC: Andy Rourke: The Smiths bassist dies aged 59 (both Marr and Morrissey quoted)

The Guardian: Andy Rourke, bassist for the Smiths, dies aged 59 (both Marr and Morrissey quoted).

The Telegraph: Morrissey and Marr brought misery to The Smiths – Andy Rourke brought joy. (critical of both).

The above do not support that view. They all could have gone with just the Marr announcement, but the Morrissey of May 2023 was treated pretty reasonably by the media regarding Rourke and certainly featured in almost all of the coverage.
FWD.

I suspect Morrissey never sees positive things in the "legacy" media & thinks it's hopeless.

The reaction to his Sinead O'Connor statement was mostly positive. The idea that he's evil is so old it's boring unless you really need it to be true. Parts of the press would be fine with a redemption arc.

I don't think this statement deserves that much venom. He IS being written out of Smiths history, and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. There's also nothing wrong with defending oneself.

Moaning Myrtle is not written out of the Smiths history, that’s just plain nonsense. This is all part of his carefully crafted “I’m being cancelled” bullshit story he tries to sell together with Fiona Blowswell.

Never ever has anyone said he’s not a key player in The Smiths’ history.

It’s all hogwash!

He should worry about the here and now not meetings and logistics that hardly anybody cares about.

Morrissey will always be seen as as a key component along with Marr, Rourke and Joyce are the only two that had their contributions under valued. The fact it's easier sometimes to not mention Moz and the inevitable detour that happens when he's brought up, doesn't really change what the Smiths were/are in people's minds.

Morrissey didn't write it, it was said casually, in conversation. Because comments like "Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! " generally roll off the tongue in casual conversation, and dont sound cheesy AT ALL, and of course, its only natural that someone was on hand to record the brilliance as it dripped from his mouth.

‘Artists aren't really people. I'm actually 40 per cent papier mache.’

-Morrissey

marr will work with anybodywhen the time is right,every time i open my laptop he is guesting with someone,hans zimmer,pretenders,killers,bryan ferry and the list goes on and on.

Maybe he likes playing guitar with other people, what's the problem with that?

Moaning Myrtle is not written out of the Smiths history, that’s just plain nonsense. This is all part of his carefully crafted “I’m being cancelled” bullshit story he tries to sell together with Fiona Blowswell.

Never ever has anyone said he’s not a key player in The Smiths’ history.

It’s all hogwash!
How is the "being cancelled story" bullshit? Have you been online over the past 10 years, or is it just intuition to automatically go against anything he says?

How is the "being cancelled story" bullshit? Have you been online over the past 10 years, or is it just intuition to automatically go against anything he says?
He’s had recent sold out gigs that he himself has chosen not to attend. And an LP that’s been promised a release by the world’s most famous record label—as soon as Morrissey modifies one song so it’s no longer a legal liability.

There’s only one person cancelling Morrissey.

He's cancelled himself by not talking to the press, with his ridiculous pronouncements and being cantankerous. He only gets negative press because he does negative things like cancelling shows, complaining, writing embarrassing letters to former band members, lying about record companies, etc. etc. When was the last time he did something really great that was newsworthy?

My suggestion is that they should put out a deluxe version of the first Smiths album and he should do interviews for it, centering only on the Smiths. That would solve some of his issues.

Well, EvanCo15 New Member, I’ve been following Moaning Myrtle since before you were born. I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm, but these kind of posts don’t do you any favors.

Moaning Myrtle is not being cancelled. He’s the Billy No-Mates of the music industry and that’s why there are no more record deals. The quality of his output has deteriorated over the years, he has cancelled almost half of his concerts the last decade and he thinks the world is one big conspiracy. And then sings about that.

The only one responsible is Moaning Myrtle himself. But he blames the entire world and you buy into that.

The word of the day is “gullible”.

Well Morrissey you win again. You have managed to piss off the system in too many ways for them to ignore you ....so they ignore you, a.k.a., they "Cancelled you! Record company troubles, controversial commentary, going up against the meat industry, fur coat industry, royal health service, record stores who won't sell your songs and others.....why go on with that old stuff.
This sort of thing certainly keeps you in the news, but....maybe best chill out and write some more great songs the system can't ignore because these songs would sell and make the record co. happy. You too...maybe !
Of course you made The Smiths happen. The 4 of you all did and C.G. too......Those were the days Morrissey and thanks for the best music the 80s ever heard. Continued Success and ..Welcome to this "Knockabout World" !.... Molly, Daisy, Maggy, Zack, Jackson, Rocco, David S.D. Park Blvd. Morrissey Crew🌴🌴🌴

There may be some truth in what he's saying, but it also completely lacks any self-awareness and accountability for where he's at. How about the thousands of disappointed fans he "canceled" on in just the last few months alone? Not a single word of acknowledgment or any indication he cares at all. Don't you think that behavior (repeatedly) hurts his reputation and shrinks his fan base?

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom