Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:

FWD, did we ever find out what this means? "There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths...."
At first I thought he meant by the media, but now I am wondering if he means what is printed in the media, and his name being omitted from interviews. Thought I did read one with Johnny and M was mentioned by the publication in connection with the Smiths, I forget which one now. Johnny a lot about Noel Gallagher in the interview, maybe it was from October.

I think ordering Johnny to not mention his name anymore did not turn out the way he expected, and it's not as fun as he thought it would be. Now he has to invent excuses to get his attention. I agree with you that it's a tactic to try to get someone to talk to you without having to do the adult part of it, it's childish.

Oh lord, he's just never gotten over Johnny has he? Deeply sad and dare I say romantic?

FWD, did we ever find out what this means? "There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths...."
At first I thought he meant by the media, but now I am wondering if he means what is printed in the media, and his name being omitted from interviews. Thought I did read one with Johnny and M was mentioned by the publication in connection with the Smiths, I forget which one now. Johnny a lot about Noel Gallagher in the interview, maybe it was from October.

His post hints at 2 things:
Possibly something Geoff has said recently regarding the early initial meetings - there is no online evidence of this anywhere and it could be related to possible recent contact in the light of Hinc's death.

The press thing could be a number of things, but if I was a betting type, I'd cite the recent Uncut comment as a potential catalyst.
Marr includes 5 Smiths' songs given an 'orchestral' treatment live in MCR and gets a glowing review.

Uncut chimes in with:
"Morrissey's later-life trajectory has unquestionably impacted some people's relationships to the band, leaving Marr as the benevolent custodian of their songs."

To then add a tag line quote re: Marr review:
"an artist who still represents something pure and beautiful."

Just my take, but I'd suggest that may have lit the blue touch paper.
FWD.

(Uncut review advert was shared by Marr on the 9th and shared here in full on the 9th, his Central post was the 11th).

Possibly something Geoff has said recently regarding the early initial meetings - there is no online evidence of this anywhere and it could be related to possible recent contact in the light of Hinc's death.

The press thing could be a number of things, but if I was a betting type, I'd cite the recent Uncut comment as a potential catalyst.
Marr includes 5 Smiths' songs given a 'classical' treatment live in MCR and gets a glowing review.

Uncut chimes in with:
"Morrissey's later-life trajectory has unquestionably impacted some people's relationships to the band, leaving Marr as the benevolent custodian of their songs."

FWD.

(Uncut review advert was shared by Marr on the 9th and shared here in full on the 9th, his Central post was the 11th).

Yeah, that sounds probable. The Central post probably does have more to do with recent contact between Geoff and him, or people in that circle, and that jibe in the Uncut article, rather than with Johnny not mentioning his name in general.

Last edited:

Marr includes 5 Smiths' songs given an 'orchestral' treatment live in MCR and gets a glowing review.

Uncut chimes in with:

FWD.

Thank you!

Create your own numbers then. The point is Moz's setlists really aren't designed to please the punters, either in length or content.
Of course I can’t create my own. You, however, could’ve specified that these numbers you posted were career overall numbers.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom