Suedehead reaches 100 million plays milestone on Spotify

Suedehead, Morrissey's first single released 35 years ago this month, has today become the first Morrissey-song to reach the milestone of 100 million plays on Spotify.

The top-5 Morrissey-songs on Spotify now are:

1. Suedehead, 100 million
2. Everyday Is Like Sunday, 71,7 million
3. First of the Gang To Die, 63,4 million
4. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, 21 million
5. Let Me Kiss You, 20,7 million.

The Smiths have 6 songs that have reached the 100 million plays milestone on Spotify: There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (382, 2 million), This Charming Man (332,1 million), How Soon Is Now? (202, 1), Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (195,6 million), Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want (159,5) and Bigmouth Strikes Again (146,5 million).

Update (March 1, 2023):
Now a Central post:

"TIME ONCE WAS"
0-2.png

Merck Mercuriadis (left) and Morrissey.

Morrissey's "Suedehead" has received one hundred million hits on Spotify (100,000,000).

R-14578921-1577525131-9748.jpg
R-4572151-1368735126-9608.jpg
s-l500.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey :highfive:

Johan de Witt :highfive:

29 seconds into the music video is the cutest ever appearance of a postman, who has since been involved in photographing Morrissey, videoing his shows, helping with website content and much much more (be nice!)

i used to be a postman in the 90s,hard job in the winter,brrrrrr.

Right, right....same with Robert Smith. The REAL story goes that Robert created the band name while in line waiting for a haircut, but Mike of course would totally disagree as he can't ever shut up about how he created the name himself.

Ahh, Mike. (y)

Last edited:
It's amazing how much more popular the Smiths are over Morrissey.

In some ways, I agree - and think it should be more even. Post-Smiths, his solo career has lasted at least six times longer. He tours internationally on a regular basis. Has week long bookings at places like the Apollo and in Vegas. He's a terrific singer, equipped today with the highest-quality voice he's ever used. The music that accompanies him is so dynamic and diverse, and its always been that way. He's created some classic, famous and respected albums - all tastefully done, intelligent, and very emotive. The guy is an amazing artist, big time influential and literally deserving of praise and admiration the world over for it. He's akin to (Dave) Bowie, Lou Reed, Prince, Tori Amos, and other artists that continued to break into new musical territory/evolve. And he will continue to last.

In the pantheon of music, The Smiths were so original, and existed at a very fertile time. There will never (ever) be another band like that. New people will continue to discover their music --- happening around the clock in a neighborhood near you. This also means that they will discover Morrissey and possibly dig into his catalog, and maybe love two or three albums. Once they've done that, they may discover tracks they love on new albums, and continue to be a fan. They could even see him in concert.

V&I was the first Morrissey related album I had. Then World of Morrissey and SG and then Meat Is Murder. I'm a bigger Morrissey (solo) fan than a Smiths fan - because there's so much more solo music, performances, everything. Let me say though, and this is meant with my whole heart - I absolutely love The Smiths like most of you do. The Smiths are glorious, and Morrissey played a huge role(s).

So how does that help the artist right now on achieving his aims? It's a number, I'll grant you, a big number. How does that help him?
Who said it would help him? Is this a Help Morrissey charity thread?

The Smiths ❤️

Morrissey ❤️

The Smiths without Morrissey = nonexistent.

Morrissey without The Smiths = Morrissey.

Suedehead = One of Morrissey's finest moments of all time.

I adore the guy.

Morrissey :highfive:

Johan de Witt :highfive:

29 seconds into the music video is the cutest ever appearance of a postman, who has since been involved in photographing Morrissey, videoing his shows, helping with website content and much much more (be nice!)

Beautiful video.

Beautiful Morrissey.

Beautiful little Sammy.

So how does that help the artist right now on achieving his aims? It's a number, I'll grant you, a big number. How does that help him?
As you are responsible for 487,986 of those individual plays, I would have thought that this news would bring you some joy?!

Wow! Well, Suedehead is absolutely mind-blowing, so it's no surprise that this song is in the top.

It looks like some fans of The Smiths decided to re-listen to Morrissey's solo works, because you won't be able to sit on several albums of The Smiths for a long time, you will want to listen to "the same, but a little different".

Back
Top Bottom