Suedehead reaches 100 million plays milestone on Spotify

Suedehead, Morrissey's first single released 35 years ago this month, has today become the first Morrissey-song to reach the milestone of 100 million plays on Spotify.

The top-5 Morrissey-songs on Spotify now are:

1. Suedehead, 100 million
2. Everyday Is Like Sunday, 71,7 million
3. First of the Gang To Die, 63,4 million
4. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, 21 million
5. Let Me Kiss You, 20,7 million.

The Smiths have 6 songs that have reached the 100 million plays milestone on Spotify: There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (382, 2 million), This Charming Man (332,1 million), How Soon Is Now? (202, 1), Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (195,6 million), Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want (159,5) and Bigmouth Strikes Again (146,5 million).

Update (March 1, 2023):
Now a Central post:

"TIME ONCE WAS"
0-2.png

Merck Mercuriadis (left) and Morrissey.

Morrissey's "Suedehead" has received one hundred million hits on Spotify (100,000,000).

R-14578921-1577525131-9748.jpg
R-4572151-1368735126-9608.jpg
s-l500.png

Last edited by a moderator:
100 million plays milestone for one of the best songs ever. Written by one of the best people ever. In fact, ever ever ever ❤️❤️❤️

Lured by beauty, feelings confound me, but music is a language - can’t you read?

Might have been my first favorite (solo) song of his. First heard it on the EMI compilation of the same name. This must have been in 2002. Maybe early 2003. It sounded absolutely gorgeous to my adolescent ears. I rarely want to listen to it nowadays, though.

Is that from The Singles (88-91)?
How do you find those numbers? Don't see it on my Spotify.
Yeah, it's from the singles collection and you can see the play count for all the songs on the desktop app and the numbers are up to date like the ones in the top 10

When suedehead comes on, it takes me right back to my early /mid 20s, which was my age when it came out . Life was there for the taking . No kids or wife . I was happy as feck then. It was just me and my M obsession

At that point in time M was The GOAT to me
I"d followed him in the Smiths from gig to gig all over the UK and Europe in general and I was gutted to f*** when the Smiths broke up. I didn't cry like an indie bitch but I was gutted It was harsh watching M pop up here and there shell shocked and desperate to be back with Johnny. You had to be there to see how much johnny meant to him

When this song came out I waited outside Our Price in Bristols pissing rain at 9am waiting for the lazy f***s to open . When I got home and played it it felt like it did when I first heard Hand In Glove . I did cry like a little bitch then. .I was so happy he pulled it off. An instant classic - maybe still his solo career high point .

M was very popular for some of us men of a single parent family and the words in this song went straight to our hearts . It was how we all felt after our father's visits .
How could you leave me ? Why did you leave me ? And "
Why do you come here
When you know it makes things hard for me?"

Then the video came out , his best video by fecking miles .
The song was M a lost kid wailing about his father leaving . The video was how he coped he created a world and James Dean was one of his saints .
Also it's obvious in the Suedehead video We are M and M becomes James Dean 'Its what tradition means "

I love the Suedehead video and totally understand the infatuation with James Dean. I don't mind nepo babies because I think it must be hard sometimes to have a very famous person in the family. I have had my private diary read without my consent and, although it feels like a violation, the reader did get to see my true self. The most liberating thing is to be who you truly are.
On the Spotify statistics, I think Miley's newest song Flowers reached this milestone in under a week earlier this year, so that puts things in perspective.

The Smiths ❤️

Morrissey ❤️

The Smiths without Morrissey = nonexistent.

Morrissey without The Smiths = Morrissey.

Suedehead = One of Morrissey's finest moments of all time.

I adore the guy.
I agree to me The Smiths were 75 % M

But really it is a 50/50 split.
Johny was what bought the cool kids to the table , in the UK
When suedehead comes on, it takes me right back to my early /mid 20s, which was my age when it came out . Life was there for the taking . No kids or wife . I was happy as feck then. It was just me and my M obsession

At that point in time M was The GOAT to me
I"d followed him in the Smiths from gig to gig all over the UK and Europe in general and I was gutted to f*** when the Smiths broke up. I didn't cry like an indie bitch but I was gutted It was harsh watching M pop up here and there shell shocked and desperate to be back with Johnny. You had to be there to see how much johnny meant to him

When this song came out I waited outside Our Price in Bristols pissing rain at 9am waiting for the lazy f***s to open . When I got home and played it it felt like it did when I first heard Hand In Glove . I did cry like a little bitch then. .I was so happy he pulled it off. An instant classic - maybe still his solo career high point .

M was very popular for some of us men of a single parent family and the words in this song went straight to our hearts . It was how we all felt after our father's visits .
How could you leave me ? Why did you leave me ? And "
Why do you come here
When you know it makes things hard for me?"

Then the video came out , his best video by fecking miles .
The song was M a lost kid wailing about his father leaving . The video was how he coped he created a world and James Dean was one of his saints .
Also it's obvious in the Suedehead video We are M and M becomes James Dean 'Its what tradition means "

The thing is the the music industry doesn't give a flying wank about M and about a song that has been around for around 25 years .
This isn't gonna help him doing this
He needs to self release at this point rather than humiliate himself with these posts
Maybe he can buy BOT back and sell both lps to a record company? Who the feck knows
M is now firmly in Papa Jack phase again.

I think M over played his hand , he seemed to forget what happened to him in late 90s early 2000s when he was without a lable and pretty much a joke in the UK .
But then he had the USA market - they weren't aware how much of a nightmare he was considered yet
Also, he had simple nostalgia on his side - in 2003 80s nostalgia was starting to hit hard and that helped kick start M again .

Since then 80s nostalgia has gone , the USA due to the internet and exposure are aware what M is like .
He has also burned nearly every last bridge with all the majors . Then you have the Comments about that political party etc
Feck what a 'mare

I agree to me The Smiths were 75 % M

But really it is a 50/50 split.
Johny was what bought the cool kids to the table , in the UK

The thing is the the music industry doesn't give a flying wank about M and about a song that has been around for around 25 years .
This isn't gonna help him doing this
He needs to self release at this point rather than humiliate himself with these posts
Maybe he can buy BOT back and sell both lps to a record company? Who the feck knows
M is now firmly in Papa Jack phase again.

I think M over played his hand , he seemed to forget what happened to him in late 90s early 2000s when he was without a lable and pretty much a joke in the UK .
But then he had the USA market - they weren't aware how much of a nightmare he was considered yet
Also, he had simple nostalgia on his side - in 2003 80s nostalgia was starting to hit hard and that helped kick start M again .

Since then 80s nostalgia has gone , the USA due to the internet and exposure are aware what M is like .
He has also burned nearly every last bridge with all the majors . Then you have the Comments about that political party etc
Feck what a 'mare
“M” 🙄

I love the Suedehead video and totally understand the infatuation with James Dean. I don't mind nepo babies because I think it must be hard sometimes to have a very famous person in the family. I have had my private diary read without my consent and, although it feels like a violation, the reader did get to see my true self. The most liberating thing is to be who you truly are.
On the Spotify statistics, I think Miley's newest song Flowers reached this milestone in under a week earlier this year, so that puts things in perspective.
In truth his James Dean obsession , like the Oscar Wilde one , wasn't anything new in pop culture. Infact 50s America was a huge touchstone for people in the UK in late 70s and the early 80s
Loads of us had James Dean posters in the late 70s. He was a style icon and gender rebel
Same with Oscar Wilde was a favorite of David Bowie , Ray Davis , John Lennon thousands of others

In truth his James Dean obsession , like the Oscar Wilde one , wasn't anything new in pop culture. Infact 50s America was a huge touchstone for people in the UK in late 70s and the early 80s
Loads of us had James Dean posters in the late 70s. He was a style icon and gender rebel
Same with Oscar Wilde was a favorite of David Bowie , Ray Davis , John Lennon thousands of others
True. Do you have any idea how Merck fits in with this Suedehead news?

Anyone else think it's possible that Merck Mercuriadis is Morrissey's 'new' manager? Based on the seemingly random posting of this photo of the two of them and the fact he's recently followed Morrissey along with several current band members (and Andrew Watt) on Instagram. I admit, it's not much to go on but all we've got is speculation at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom