Warsaw - Stodola Club (July 24, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / First Of The Gang To Die / You Have Killed Me / Irish Blood, English Heart / Speedway / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / The Kid's A Looker / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Action Is My Middle Name / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Scandinavia / Satellite Of Love / I Know It's Over / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Alma Matters / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Meat is Murder // There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

set list / scan provided by Mozzer69

Media coverage of comments made in the concert:
Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants'

Last edited:
Hi,
I've seen and heard every solo line up play the Smiths' songs and the current team are doing a mighty fine job. Of course it has to be said that nobody could ever play them as the original boys did, never could and never should.
So what we have is an interpretation of those songs along with the original, but matured, singer.
We shouldn't expect to hear exactly the same as we did when they were recorded, but we're bloody lucky to hear them live at all.
Moz is no longer in The Smiths, Smiths is dead. Thank your god if you have one that we still have the songs.
And, for now, we still have Morrissey singing them.

I notice Paul is now pretending to be multiple people and asking himself sensibly questions, before replying politely. It might be odd, but it certainly beats his usual foul routine.

How is Morrissey's band coping with Smiths songs? Not well. Jesse can't even imitate 70% of Marr's virtuosity, the rhythm section is like old lawnmower components and Mozza struggles with the odd note.

Witness This Charming Man. One of the finest songs of the 80s turned into a sad karaoke number.

Hi,
I've seen and heard every solo line up play the Smiths' songs and the current team are doing a mighty fine job. Of course it has to be said that nobody could ever play them as the original boys did, never could and never should.
So what we have is an interpretation of those songs along with the original, but matured, singer.
We shouldn't expect to hear exactly the same as we did when they were recorded, but we're bloody lucky to hear them live at all.
Moz is no longer in The Smiths, Smiths is dead. Thank your god if you have one that we still have the songs.
And, for now, we still have Morrissey singing them.

Thanks for replying, but I really expected more in-depth analysis than just "they don't sound the same". I know they don't, I didn't expect they would. I asked because Smiths songs are often a test of musicians' skills, esp. bass and guitar lines.
And gee, I somehow don't feel like thanking any god that Mozzer's band plays Smiths covers. Just call me ungrateful or having ears.
But thanks anyway :)

I notice Paul is now pretending to be multiple people and asking himself sensibly questions, before replying politely. It might be odd, but it certainly beats his usual foul routine.

How is Morrissey's band coping with Smiths songs? Not well. Jesse can't even imitate 70% of Marr's virtuosity, the rhythm section is like old lawnmower components and Mozza struggles with the odd note.

Witness This Charming Man. One of the finest songs of the 80s turned into a sad karaoke number.

Hey, I object, I'm not any Paul or whatever.

Ah, so the rhythm section sucks a bit after all. That's what I was afraid of, actually. Mozzer struggling with some notes is understandable - he's older, his voice has changed - I don't mind it too much. But it is sad the melody suffers from the musicians ineptitude.

Hey, I object, I'm not any Paul or whatever.

Ah, so the rhythm section sucks a bit after all. That's what I was afraid of, actually. Mozzer struggling with some notes is understandable - he's older, his voice has changed - I don't mind it too much. But it is sad the melody suffers from the musicians ineptitude.

The current band is bad enough playing some of the older solo material, let alone Smiths songs. Check out Boy Racer and Alma Matters, this only confirms it. The band began to suck when Alain and Gary left, and now they're nothing more than third-rate American session musicians. Boz is the only "lad" left, and even he has to continuously kiss Morrissey's ass for a job.

Regarding comparing the meat industry to the killings in Norway — perhaps not the most tasteful way to put it, but he does have a point.

If Norway is indeed the last communist state, then communism must have something going for it. The amount of love and caring shown on the streets of Oslo (and other cities) today was fantastic.

Hi. Cut the crap. Watching Live in Dallas right now and I must say it is great. The band is wonderful and Moz is young and full of life. Been a fan seens the late 80s and been lucky enough too have been to quite a few shows seens then. I love Gary and Allan and all of the old Moz stuff, but he is not singing very well live back then, is he? I am from Norway and went to Copenhagen to see our friend. Must say that his voice is better than ever. Is that not more importent than however his band plays it right or not? I woluld say yes... absolutely. He defenetely sings better than he ever have, and the Copenhagen show was great. GREAT. The way his band play the old songs is obviously the way he wants it to be played. I think it is better for him to stand up straight, at the age he is now, and not move around like in the old days, if that improves his singing, and it moste defenetely does. I love Moz and the thing he is doing right know. Maybe the last albums are not the best, but hes voice is better than ever. I can not belive all the shit he is getting on this site. He has always said things that upset people and he has always been wonderfuly different from the rest of us. He may be strange and difficult, maybe even a bit crazy, but this is not new. I love the Man. I did back then and I do now. Listen to his voice.... it is incredible. His songs may not be, but his singing voice is Better than ever.

Regarding comparing the meat industry to the killings in Norway — perhaps not the most tasteful way to put it, but he does have a point.

If Norway is indeed the last communist state, then communism must have something going for it. The amount of love and caring shown on the streets of Oslo (and other cities) today was fantastic.
When dubbed the last communist state one needs to be reminded that of course it is not the last communist state out there but it is a description of a country that tried to distance its own people from reality for far too long.
It was the then swedish minister Björn Rosengren who said "Norway is the last communist state, everything there is about politics". He was tired after having spent a long time trying to strike deals with Norway and realising how complex the system there is.
The youth in Norway have been frustrated with the country and the ones in power for decades and I have met many generations of norwegians who have been frustrated. The drug situation in Oslo is extreme and on top of that they have this immigration system that has gone mad with people flooding into the country. Norway and its culture is very special and the clash between cultures and races lead to the events on Friday.
The situation is as volatile in Sweden and Denmark and I would expect the danes to end up with a similar situation to that in Norway on Friday before Sweden does. Finland is not the same at all as Norway and the other nordic countries because they did control the immigration well and many who moved to Finland left because they were victims of abuse and violence from the very hateful finns who have never tolerated black people for instance.
It must be said again that the man who did this tried to link up with mostly swedish national and nazi groups but they considered his views to be sionist and they rejected him as a weirdo. Anders Behring Breivik has more to do with american bible belters and pro-israel movements and his hate for muslims is the same shared by jews in todays Israel.
The sad fact is that media particularly in Sweden has tried to milk the situation and accuse the nazis for his acts but they have to as the media in Sweden is owned and run by the jewish family Bonnier who control near to 90% of swedish media. Now they have to deal with someone who thinks like them and the way they try and distance itself from it is interesting to watch.

Listen to his voice.... it is incredible. His songs may not be, but his singing voice is Better than ever.

Can't disagree more, especially with all the autotune used on Years of Refusal. The last his voice sounded great was on Quarry.

Thanks again mhicks for your detailed review.
Hope you're feeling better!

From the video I' ve seen he looks great! Moves around alot and in good voice. Must be some "obscure" video out there that shows otherwise ............. NOT !

hi, I liked the gig a lot
thanks to Katrina from Vienna who helped me out with umbrella in the queue @ the entrance!

Great post mywar!

Now so long as Morrissey doesn't revive 'Michael's Bones' for the rest of the tour or mention Sandy Boobs again I might even buy his next re-release.

hi, I liked the gig a lot
thanks to Katrina from Vienna who helped me out with umbrella in the queue @ the entrance!

Hey Arkim(?!)
yes, the gig was awesome! Seemed everybody was enjoying it a lot, glowing faces , dancing feet everywhere, encore There's a light... resembled as if he had just won the Eurovison Song Contest. Warsaw, Warsaw, Warsaw, Die? Never!:guitar:

So many good songs loads of songs so many songs and he comes out every night, tour after tour, and plays just absolute SHIT!!!!

Rubbish, his set-list for the Uk tour and 2011 in general have so far been amazing. I know it's over, Speedway, Alma matters...all under rated classics but also a great mix of popular singles and Smith's tunes. Suits me down to the ground atleast

Back
Top Bottom